Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Day to Be Proud, March 9th

Before I begin this topic of “Something I am proud of in the past few days....”

Let me self analyze for a moment! I told you this little blog challenge was turning out to be a huge psychiatric session with myself!

When I think of Pride....it doesn't always bring about the most positive emotions. I tried so so so hard in my youth and even now to do things perfect...and tend to be an over achiever. It is not that I have the need to impress people...that is actually far from the truth. I do however want myself to be pleased and happy with my accomplishments.

I have a great mom, she would do anything for me. She is very giving and has lots of great qualities However, shes not the best with words or affection to me. I was never the girl getting flowers after dance performances. She doesn't hug a lot...and doesn't spout off “I love you” for no reason. I never heard the words “I'm proud of you” out of her lips. Even after graduation with straight A's as Valedictorian, after becoming a mother, and a pretty decent adult....I have never heard those words....and I will admit, it hurts, and in some sick way makes me feel like I am a failure at all I do.

I did have TONS of people/admirer's from afar saying kind words...but for some reason since my mom didn't-I felt I was not anything to be proud of. I was looking back on my adult life, and most everything I do good is from lessons I learned from her. Whether it is homemaking skills, mothering skills, how to effectively serve in callings, organize things, be dependable......etc.etc. I owe a LOT to her.

Sometimes pride can be a bad thing, which I believe is being “prideful”. Nobody likes a boaster. So I try not to boast...but I tend more often to be a Debbie Downer of sorts too....such a fine line! So as a mom I make sure that my kids know that I am PROUD of them for all of their good choices, accomplishments, and their joys in life. I make sure to hug them tight and sincerely tell them how truly much I love them, and how proud I am, however big or small event...they know they are loved and that I am pleased with their efforts!

So, I guess my most recent “proud” moment was for myself...and I owe lots of the credit to my mom for teaching me to be dependable, organized, and somewhat creative:

Last Night I was able to oversee our yearly Relief Society Birthday Party Dinner. I think it pulled together quite nicely. I did have a lot of help, which I appreciate. I guess watching my mom as a wedding planner all my younger years really taught me a lot to be very prepared and organized when planning big events!

3 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

You are a great mother to your children and are teaching them to be great people. You didn't just pull off last night it was amazing. YOu always turn everything you touch to gold!

Nathan and Shanna said...

Wow Kandice you never cease to amaze me with all that you do!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I just love you!!!!!!!!