Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Answers...


This morning was one of the most exhausting things I think I have had to go through in a very long time. Kayler was evaluated for over 3 hours by the Children With Special Health Care Needs Clinic from Salt Lake. It was done here in Vernal. He had a complete meltdown during the first part of his evaluation, so we had to leave, where we spent a few minutes getting a snack, sitting in front of the temple and crying and praying(on my part)-and then we returned back to the testing and finished the evaluation. After returning home a few hours ago, I debated greatly about whether or not to post about this, but finally decided that I would, just so at least the people who read my blog will understand.
I have posted several times about my troubles and worries about my sweet little guy. If you need a refresher, here are just some of the links. http://mylittlefamilyof5.blogspot.com/2008/08/so-so-frustratedneed-help.html http://mylittlefamilyof5.blogspot.com/2008/06/2.html
Anyways, the struggles have still continued. He really dislikes being around other people. He is very aggressive towards anyone for no certain reason. He bites, hits, has full blown tantrums when things don’t go his way. This is just a small fraction of some of his problems.
I have had several people tell me things like: “It is just the terrible 2’s” “He just needs a nap” “You are over-reacting, nothing is wrong with him” “He will grow out of it” “Maybe you should hit or bite him back”……..etc.etc.etc. The list could go on and on. People are more than happy to tell you their advice because it is not THEM going through it.
Kayler was a very good baby, and it wasn’t until his 2nd birthday that I realized something might be wrong. At first, I was like all the others and thought that it was just the terrible 2’s. After awhile, my education in early childhood development, but more importantly my motherly instinct told me it was something much more that.
Today I finally got the answer. Asperger’s Syndrome. If you want to read about it, go here, http://health.yahoo.com/children-behavior/asperger-s-syndrome-topic-overview/healthwise--zq1009.html or just Google it. Most of the symptoms fit him to a “T”. There are as with most disorders or syndromes some things he may or may not do, but after 3 hours with all the therapists, psychologists’, etc., they were 100% positive that this was what he has. Of course, we are getting a second opinion on Dec. 9th at Primary Children’s Mental Health Care Center. Even though I really feel the diagnosis is accurate, I always like to double check.
Now I am back tracking a little bit. We had a lady move into our ward almost a year ago-Jill. Something instinctively told me to go sit by her on her first week at Relief Society. The spirit whispered, “she is someone special, and she will be your friend.” I rarely-if ever have strong feelings like that, but even so, I kind of brushed it aside. Well this past spring, she and her husband were invited to be in the temple class G.J. and I was teaching. I believe her and her husband have been through the temple, the bishop just wanted them in the class to help out with those we were trying to teach. Again the spirit told me that I would need her. After the class, I found out that she had a 7 year old son named Connor that had full blown autism. This was right around the time that I was starting to have concerns with Kayler.
Anyways, moving forward a little bit more. One day she called me and said that she had been having the feeling for days that she needed to call and offer me these videos she had about autism (which Asperger’s is in the autism spectrum) She has been to several training courses dealing with her son. The videos really helped me. Well today after getting the diagnosis, she was the first person I called, because I truly felt she would be the only one who could truly understand my feelings. The first thing she said-and she said it in all sincerity and honesty was, “Lucky, lucky you-to have been chosen to take care of one our Heavenly Fathers most special spirits.” Of course I am not feeling so lucky, special, or prepared in any way to deal with the challenges the lie ahead. But-she is more than 5 years into her journey, and she has “been there, done that” with her sweet little boy who is much worse off than Kayler is by far. She is truly a saint, and I so grateful that she came into my life at this time, and I know that I will need her help, support, and encouragement. Along with her, one of my closest friend's son who is in the 5th grade found out he has High Functioning Autism, which is closely related to Asperger’s, and they just moved into our ward as well. Those 2 things alone really testify that Heavenly Father knows what he is doing, he is looking out for me, and that he loves me-and that I will never be alone.
I know that there are going to be several people reading this, or several people who find out in our family and friends’ circle who are still going to be judgmental, who won’t understand, and who quite frankly won’t give a damn. I have to try very very hard to push what everyone else thinks right out the window, and focus on the people who truly do care and want to help. I am going to do my very best to help Kayler become as normal and happy as possible. I believe with all my heart that he will be just fine with time and lots of love and direction from G.J. and I-along with anyone else who comes in contact with him. A lot of prayers on his behalf would help too. So PhEw! That was quite the post. I hope everyone has a great day; I am going to have myself a nap-I am pooped…I promise I will keep you posted on his achievements and success.

17 comments:

G.J. said...

Our sweet, little Kayler. I wished he could have a perfect life that I think he should deserve, but unfortunately we all have bumps in the road. I know that we can help him through this one. He is doing very well at learning other things, so with time, love, and patience he can overcome this. Love you bunches!

Anonymous said...

Kandice,
Just know that you are loved. The lord knows us individually and knows our limitations. If this was something you could not handle, then you would not have been given this test. I know that you are the best mommy and you will learn all the things you can do to help Kayler. Remember that this diagnosis is a blessing and now you can tackle this knowing what you are dealing with. I get to come in contact with kids with Asperger's almost everyday, and with a sweet family like yours Kayler with function just fine! I am praying for you and your family! Anyone that judges you or your son is not worth worrying about. Love ya!

Emily said...

You are such an amazing mom! Hang in there... it seems like a HUGE deal right now- but as you study and learn more about how to help him, you'll find peace. Your little Kayler was sent here for a unqiue purpose... and it's your job to help him along the way. Hang in there... If you have rough days- call! I've had a little experience from the teacher point of view- I had one or two in my class as a teacher every year with varying levels. You can do this!

Jesenia said...

Wow Kandice, I am glad that you found something out. You are a wonderful mother and I know that you have tried everything, and it is nice to have someone finally be able to let you know why. I am glad I read this post one of my good friends out here has a niece that is the same as Kayler, she is over 3 and they have tested her for autism, but maybe she has this. I will tell her about it. You are wonderful!! Love you.

Jesenia said...

He is beautiful by the way!!

Kelli said...

You know, I have told myself that always about why I had two children with heart defects and all that has some with THAT. I also heard that we chose our parents or our children chose us (how ever you want to look at it) I dont know if thats true, I also heard we knew what all we would go through and we agreed. So that makes me feel better, knowing I knew before hand. It would be nice to have a nice easy cushy life. I had a friend in Provo that said (as an adult) she had never had a trial. GREAT, I guess I got all hers. hehe. no, its just that satin loves you and so does HF, HF knows you can handle it, satin wants to work harder on you. Its all a balance, which doesnt help in those moments/hours/days/weeks ect when its so hard. HF does love you and so do alot of other people. I cant even imagine anyone judging. I know they do but know that they will be judged the way they judged. That always makes me smile hehe.Love you! Hugs and Prayers. Kayler couldnt have come to a more prepared or perfect (not in the perfect sense but perfect for him) home. You and GJ are wonderful loving parents. AND that you could only have three children is a blessing also, hes not lost in a family of 4 or 6 or 10 children. And your education. I can so see HF's plan.

Harvey Family said...

Wow Kandice, I can't even imagine what you are going through. Jaron has a kid in his seminary class right now that has Asperger's syndrome. They are somehow able to control a lot of problems with just keeping him on a special diet. Hopefully things will all work out. Kayler is so blessed to have you as a Mom. Keep being patient and Know that you and your family are in many people's prayers.

Kyndi said...

I was blessed to meet an amazing young man with Asperger's while serving in the primary presidency in Tridell. His mother became a very good friend of mine and put together packets for us to become familiar with the symptoms, how to communicate for their specific needs, etc, and I can tell you that becoming a "familiar" family for Sam blessed our family tremendously. I felt knowing him has helped me make decisions regarding the way I raise, teach, love and interact with my own children, and I know that this will bless your lives and the lives of others around you greatly. It may seem rough, and when the tears don't seem to want to stop, just remember their are others around willing and ready to help carry you through. We love your family-we are so glad to have met you guys! Our prayers are with you and hope that you guys have a great day!

The McClellan Clan said...

Wow, I've missed alot on this blog of yours!! First off I am glad that you now have an answer. Isn't mothers intuition great though!!! You know your kid better than anyone else thinks!!! you will be watched over and protected!! The parties ROCK!! YOu guys look amazing! The pictures are priceless. Did you get those in vernal? Who knew that you could find something so awesome out here if that is where you found them!!. I love the engagement picture!!! hehe!! Just kidding, but it seriously took me back to your wedding announcement!! You're still cute as ever and you look great!! TAke care my dear!! Call me!!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

So glad you have answers, knowledge is power-really! That sounds silly, but the more you know the better help you can get. Good luck with all that lies ahead. Kayler is an adorable little guy. I agree with the lady in your ward. Heavenly Father really has great trust and love to have sent such a special spirit to your home. Have a wonderful day!!

Leisa said...

Now you have some direction to go with him. You are such a good mom that I know you will handle this fine. Your kids are lucky to have you!

Hillary said...

Kandice again thank you for your wonderful, honest and touching posts. I am so inspired at your humilty to listen to the promptings of the spirit, and that wonderful "mother's gut". Mom's just KNOW!! And I can't imagine what this must feel like for you, it must seem so huge and so overwhelming. But now you have a starting point, and some answers. And the Lord must KNOW you can do this, and that you will do it well. I know you don't do anything just half-way. Your family is in my prayers. Can't wait to hear about his progress.

Mandy said...

I don't really know what to say... but I love you and I am here for you ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chauntue Peterson said...

Kandice, bless your heart. I'm sorry to hear it, but i know without a doubt you are the most perfect mommy to be able to handle this and he will be just fine. You will find out and follow through on every thing you need to do to make his life better. You are both lucky to have each other.
love you tons.

The Atwood Family said...

at least you know now that it is not just the terrible 2's and you can get the help he needs I have a very close friend whose son is high function autistic and she tells me alot about things that go on with him.
And I promise there could be worse things to have happen to your child.

Briana said...

Kandice, both you and Kayler are so blessed to have each other in your life. You are an amazing mom. There is something sweet about having a person with "special needs" in your home. Monica has been a challenge for both us and my parents, but the blessings and sweet spirit that has remained in our home because of it, is priceless. God doesn't give us more than we can handle. You are strong, remember that! If you ever need to talk, I am here for you.

TOYA said...

you're an awesome mummy and I know you'll do an awesome job. Just keep your chin up!!