Friday, June 20, 2008

"2"

Well, exhausted is all I can say about me…emotionally, physically, mentally, hmm, what else is there. I tried to get to the root of my exhaustion. I thought the summer heat, busy summer, 3 kids, one dog, one husband, church, work, kid’s activities, etc was the source. Although those things do play a part, I knew it was something different. After the past few days, I know EXACTLY what the root of my problem is-Kayler.Kayler is 2…need I say more. He is SO cute, and precious in every way. BUT, he is SO SO SO busy, and makes me SO SO SO tired. I remember my other kids being busy at this age, but I don’t think anything could have prepared me for having such a rambunctious toddler. He is into everything. He always is doing a “woops” as he calls it. He doesn’t eat well, doesn’t sleep well, doesn’t obey well, and throws a fit at the drop of a hat. I am constantly figuring ways to make him happy and avoid a tantrum. I feel that sometimes I do this at the expense of my other kid’s happiness. They are constantly having to give up their toys, treats, etc to make him happy. I think what made me finally snap and decide to blog about this was an occurrence last night. We had a ward party. We got our food, sat down to eat, but NO, Kayler did not want to eat, and he wanted to run around in the parking lot of the church. Well, after a few minutes of fighting, I freaked out, and we left. My older kids were so sad, and I felt SO guilty for making them leave, but I just couldn’t handle it.

I think one of the main problems with his frustrations other than him being 2 is that he doesn’t talk all that well. It was be easier if he would tell me what he wants, and then I could reason with him. Nope, he just screams and fights me. We work on his language and even sign language all the time through the Prime Time for Kids program he is enrolled in. Today at his Kindermusik class, he was the only boy. He was one of the oldest too. Yet, he was the worst behaved BY FAR. I know that little boys are more busy and further behind in skills than girls. Hallie spoke paragraphs by 18 months. All of the little girls in his class were only children; several of the moms were pregnant with their second child though. They all looked at me like, “oh my heck, my child will never ever act that way.” This was while Kayler was screaming, running around, throwing things, hugging their sweet little girls (a little hard), and not paying attention to class. We had a park play date after with my grandma and cousins. Did Kayler play nicely, eat his lunch, and not run away. NOPE, he had to spill his drink, not eat, run away from me a million times, and cry over everything. I came home exhausted and frustrated.

Some may ask, “Is he hungry, tired, sick, scared, lonely, overwhelmed, etc???” Maybe so, but I think I am smart enough to address those things. Some might think there are other problems. I just have to reassure myself that it is a stage. I have my degree in Family and Human Development. I KNOW what the “books” say, and what all the “theories” are about this type of behavior. What I find funny is that most of my professors in school were not married or else had NO children, as well as most the theorists. Having a naughty child or even a well behaved child is something that you cannot truly say how you will react until you do it for yourself. Motherhood is not for the weak, which I feel I am so weak lately. I just need to get over it, realize I am not alone, and be grateful that I even have kids. Along with that, some mothers have it MUCH worse than I do as they deal with autistic, handicapped, or very ill children.

So, there’s my rant for the day. I don’t think I have complained on this blog for awhile. I complain on my other private blog sometimes, but I thought that at least if someone else reading this was going through the same thing as me, they could gain comfort by knowing they are not alone. Have a good day, and wish me luck with this “terrible 2” stage.

6 comments:

Brian, Nikki, and Nevie said...

Kandice, I'm so sorry! And I do know how you feel--my daughter is the only child, is only one, and is already like Kaylor in every way you described. She's not really bad, she is just VERY stubborn and wants to run around all.the.time. Taking her anywhere is awful and embarrassing. Other kids her age will sit at church quietly, at least for a few minutes at a time. Not Nevie. And when we go to playdates, she won't do anything but run off, so I never even get a second to talk to the other moms. I don't know if she is AS difficult as Kaylor yet, but I do know the feelings of being tired, frustrated,embarrassed, and overwhelmed! And knowing that "2" is going to be much worse scares me to death!
Anyway, I guess that wasn't really advice...but just know you are not alone. Nobody is judging you or Kaylor because of his behavior. I have never known a two year old to be good for very long at a time. You are a great mom, and you can do it!

I think you just need to run away for a night and come see me. (:

Kelli said...

my Kyler was horrible. Its been 20 years so I have forgotten alot of it, but this to shall pass. I would not give it, I know thats tuff but super nanny says to be firm. Try time outs for two minutes, which may take an hour or two to keep him on a chair for two minutes. I have nothing. Sorry. I got to sleep last night for 7hours before Kimber woke up, moved her to the couch and then I slept for 3 more hours (kevin got up with them) so today I feel better than I usually do, so also know that even though this shall pass, it came back to haunt me. hehe and you are not going to have anymore children so it wont come back at you. hehe

Candace and Brian said...

Kandice send him my way. Brian and I will give you a break at any time and then send him home. :) Hang in there!

Josh and Kristen said...

Sometimes all you need to do is vent and have someone validate that you are just like any other mom in the world. I know that sometimes I feel like the worst mom because I get so frustrated and tired and embarrassed and overwhelmed. I don't really have any advice, I just know that I always feel better when someone can tell me that they are right there with me, and believe me girl... I am right there with ya!

Liberti said...

Kandice I feel for you - hang in there!

PS - add me to your other blog list (I keep forgetting to tell you) vangass.liberti@gmail.com

Whit said...

Hi there! I absolutely love reading your blogs! You make feel less like an insane person and more normal becuase you and I are a lot alike! I heard in a talk that we need to pray individually for each child everyday for help and inspiration. I know that when I do it, which isn't enough I know!, I at least seem to stay more sane! I'm sure you already do this becuase your a great mom but sometimes it's the only thing that I can think of to do! We should get together this week sometime at the park ( a smaller contained park! Kael likes to run away!) let me know what you think! We can get Kristen to come to! Your not alone, there's lots of other mommies that feel the same way you do!