Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So so frustrated...need help. :(

So today has been hell. I am at my whits end, and I think I am about to snap. I feel like I do a lot of complaining on my blog and that is one big reason why I am making it private. But today I am not holding back, and hopefully by doing so I can make someone else feel like they are not alone if they are going through anything similar to me. If you don’t feel like reading my rants and raves, then turn away now.

It all started this morning as I went to the rec. center with good intentions to work out. I try to go every Tuesday and Thursday. Gavin and Kayler went to the day care. I was almost finished with my workout and they brought Kayler to me and said he was no longer allowed to come to the day care because he had 3 strikes against him for violence. One incident happened last Thursday, and then he hit 2 times today. I was first off SO embarrassed. Then I was a little puzzled. He doesn’t usually hit at home. We don’t spank our kids, and my kids rarely have hitting or full on fighting matches. So I don’t know where he picked it up from. I thought he must have hit an older kid trying to get a toy or something, but NO- he took a toy dinosaur and hit 2 BABIES…..babies. My heck, what would possess him to do that. SO after leaving feeling so so terrible, I just don’t know what to do. They said he couldn’t come back for a week. Then after they let him come again next week, if he hits again, they said they had to call the state to see what they do for repeat offenders. My 2 year old is practically a felon…

I really really want to go work out. I can’t do it at home alone. It helps to have the proper equipment and machines and to not have little ones running along the treadmill putting their hands on it or throwing toys on it. I can’t do sit ups or anything like that with kids around because they jump on me. It is just a nightmare to work out with kids around me.

So what do I do? Just don’t work out and get fatter than I already am? That is sounding pretty good to me right now. Do I wake up at the crack of dawn and work out when my kids are all asleep-and wake them up with the loud treadmill? Do I stay up late at night to do it and yet again wake them up with my noise? He doesn’t nap all that well, so doing it during naptime is not an option. Do I give him a second try at the rec. center? Or do I risk him doing something again and having to go through that embarrassment all over again. I am just so confused.

Kayler was a really good baby and 1 year old. 2 years old hit and all hell broke loose. He is so so busy. You reading this say yeah yeah, whatever, all 2 year olds are busy, but he is on the extreme end. He is enrolled in PT4K here in Vernal to kind of help with this kind of stuff, and one of the caseworkers suggested that he might even have a little bit of autism (high functioning or Asperger's) They are having a psychologist come in November to look at him a little further to try to determine more. I try so hard to work with him at home and be kind, loving, and patient. Being mean and violent with him will go nowhere. I just feel like such a failure, and like I want to hide out at home and never take him anywhere. It even happens at church. I don’t know if he hits in nursery or not, but one day a few weeks ago, I looked in to see a cute little row of kids all his age having snack time. I couldn’t see Kayler anywhere, so I peeked in and asked where he was. The nursery leader said, “Oh, he doesn’t do well at the table with the other kids, we have to move his chair and snack to the corner.” I was so heartbroken and upset.

Hallie has been so so easy. Gavin has given my lots of fits, but nothing quite like this. He did have an episode today, which I will sum up really quickly. He went for Kindergarten testing and he would only whisper to the teacher. He would not answer the vast majority of the questions even though he knew them. It was SO, SO frustrating to watch. I am sure his teacher is thinking I was the worst mom ever for not teaching him, when I really have worked with him a lot.

I never ever thought I would be the one to have kids with behavioral problems. For heaven’s sake, I have a degree in Childhood Development and all the issues that come along with it. It doesn’t mean crap what the books or philosophers say. Until you are in the moment with YOUR OWN child, you cannot form a true theory of why kids do what they do and how to correct it. In fact, I find it very interesting that the vast majority of my professors weren’t even married and did not have kids yet. I admit, I have been an onlooker of other children with behavioral problems and pointed blame towards the parent. In some cases, it is true. They are abusive, sit them in front of the T.V. all day, and never try to teach them how to act kindly and nicely. I just hate being one of those parents that is being ridiculed for the actions of my kids-because I am seriously trying so hard.

I am so sorry whoever took the time to read this whole long post for my rants and raves and complaints. I know it could be much worse in so many ways and situations. But for right now, this is my life, my problem, and I am so exhausted even thinking about it. So, any suggestions would help. Hope everyone’s day has been much better than mine!

I am now going to turn to my new favorite treat. Banana Split Oreos. They are heavenly. I usually don't turn to food when I am stressed or upset, but today calls for an exception.

10 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Oh girly, I love you and I am thinking about you. I hope things get better or that you can figure out a way to deal with your busy little bee.

Those Oreo's sound so yummy, I am going to have to check and see if we have them in our wal-mart here.

Missing you tons.

Lucky Me said...

Don't do it!! Just put the oreo down, step away, and noone gets hurt. Seriously, I am so sorry you are so frusterated. You are such a great Mom and your kids are so good and cute. I would feel like pulling my hair out too. My only suggestion for the workout thing begins with a couple questions. Where is your treadmill and what is GJ's schedule? I put mine in the garage to keep from waking kids and I get up at 6am to use it. Gary gets the kids if they wake before I'm done. It might work for you, it might not but it gives me some sanity. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry. I don't even really know what to say. I know that Harli is usually a really sweet girl, and even though she has a hard time sharing with other kids and stuff she's usually pretty well behaved. I noticed the other day when we had a little girl over to play, who was also Harli's same age, she turned into a MONSTER. I watched this little girl interact with Harli, and she was so mean and sometimes a little scary. She would shake her finger and scream in a really loud scary voice at Harli and at first Harli just slinked away like she was scared. But after a while I noticed that Harli became more and more aggressive and started to pick up on this little girl’s bad behavior. I don't want it to sound like my little girl is the perfect angel or anything, because we've definitely had our struggles with getting her to play nicely with other kids, but it was amazing to see her change after being around this "bad influence" for just a short amount of time. In fact one of the moms that was also over to our house said something like "Stephanie, did you know that Harli just hit that little girl with her shopping cart?" and in my head I was thinking "good for her - have you seen what that little girl has done to Harli?" That's bad, I know, but nobody saw how the other little girl was so aggressive and mean towards Harli.

Anyway... I have been so surprised at how much kids that age understand, because after that little girl left I had a talk with Harli about her behavior, and told her that this little girl was wrong to push her around and yell at her like this, but that her behavior was also unacceptable. Harli looked at me and said "I no hit. I sorry, Mommy." My eyes about popped out of my head, because I didn't realize that she would really understand what I was talking about. I wonder if he could be picking up this naughty behavior from another child in child care. I also think that hitting is pretty typical of children this age - Harli has started to hit US when she gets upset.

Don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that you care so much and are so upset when something like this happens confirms that you are a wonderful mommy. You are such a good example to them.

Candace and Brian said...

Kandice....hang in there. I am not even going to give suggestions because I am so far from there and behind you. Things will get better. I have an idea...let me watch the boys on those mornings. Jhett can just hang out. OR even better we can get up early in the mornings or at night and go walking together and let the men take care of the kids.
No really you are a wonderful mom. Don't get down. At least you care. Some moms wouldn't. And treat yourself to those oreos.

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

I am glad that I am not the only one that struggles in this life. Motherhood has to be the most rewarding and frustrating thing in this life. Kenna has been biting and hitting in nursery-nothing that she has done before. We have talked to her and talked to her and then we have started to say a pray with her before we go that she will be nice and not bite-so far, for two weeks it has worked-or they are tired of telling me.:) I have been trying to exercise with Kenna and that too has been a huge problem-everything that you mentioned above. Maybe everyone should stop exercising together and then we could all be fat and happy!!:) Hang in there!

Tari said...

Oh I have so much PT4K inspired thoughts going through my head right now but I don't feel I should write them all down right here. I would love to talk if you'd like, this whole thing with the rec center day care has me going errrrr.

Kelli said...

I am so sorry about your day. I hear ya. I have no idea what I would do in your situation. That is so hard. Those oreos sound yummr. Oh and I guess I wouldnt go back, I wouldnt want the state to be called in. You know back years ago, the state would not be called in for a child (a 2 year old) who hits for pete sakes. I think its some what normal (although frustrating) and he may have some small issues when he his tested which would help in just knowing. Hugs and Prayers.

Jesenia said...

Kandice, I am sorry, Kayler probably came to you at the end so you could have more time with him. I have to say I hate the age of 2, toddler years, are nuts. I feel for you, I wanted to cry when I read your post. I myself am no expert with children and my patience is slim. You are doing far better than me, I probablly would have turned into a spanker! Anyways take care. Love ya

Leisa said...

Oh my...this brings back memories. I had one of my boys who had me at the end of my rope always when he was little!! I thought that is just how it would be with him forever. He went to PT4K too, and a therapist thre told me he had never seen a child quite like him, and he didn't mean it in a good way. Not a nice thing to say to a mom!! But they do grow out of it. Mine is now 12. I know that seems like forever away but he will grow out of it. I would be glad to watch your kids for you if you want to go and exercise. :)

masonmadness said...

Oh I think only a mother can really understand what you are going through right now. If it makes you feel better, we just sat our kids down last night for a "family counsel" because I was at wits end as well. Hang in there, it will get better. I too have a very busy boy and up until the last year I have really struggled with him. It will get better. If you ever need anyone to talk to, call me. I don't know about you but just talking to a friend can make a world of difference for me. You are a great mom and don't doubt it!