Monday, October 6, 2008

I never would have thought...

This post is about things that I never would have thought today:
I would have never thought that so many people would respond so lovingly to my last post. Not only did I feel truly cared for, less alone, and less guilty for having those thoughts….I was SO glad to realize that I am not crazy….hehe
I would have never thought that my day could get much worse. The agenda went as follows. Hallie on bus. While that happened Kayler got in the sink in his jammies and a poopy diaper on. He proceeded to turn the water on. That meant wet jammies, soggy poopy diaper, and an already frustrated mommy at such an early time in the morning. Then the phone rang NON-STOP. That never happens to me, I can go for days with no phone calls. I had people calling for all sorts of reasons, and I really wanted to sit down and just talk, but I had so much to do. The messes with Kayler did not stop…they only got worse. I cleaned up more poop and pee, spilled cereal, broken (very expensive) lamp, books that he ripped and CHEWED up into little balls, etc.etc.etc.
My little Gav had stayed the night at my mom’s house and she brought him back to me at 10. He didn't have school today. I was trying so hard to get some laundry done, the house cleaned up a bit, and a long list of “to-do’s” accomplished. I kept hearing the words of our beloved prophet saying something about letting the things like housework etc. just wait, and to enjoy each moment with our precious kids. I wanted SO badly to do that, really I did. But for someone with diagnosed OCD cleaning habits, and an already stressed out mind, I could not for the life of me let all the things I had to do go.
I had one more phone call come from my mother in law. This was after I had bathed and dressed both boys, and sent them outside to play. Well, Kayler found the hose, drenched himself, hid his shoes and socks in the dirt, and that is when I snapped. My mother in law asked how I was doing, and usually I would reply “oh pretty good.” My reply today was “I am not doing well at all today, and you need to come get the boys right away.” I would have never thought that I would be brave enough to admit out loud to someone that I truly could not take one more second of my life at the moment, and actually ask for help. She was taken aback a little, but a few minutes later she showed up and loving took them away from me.
I was able to finish my work, go back and get Gavin and take him to his SEP conference (which he did well at! Hooray Gav!) I got home to a nice clean house, both boys fell asleep, and then I realized that Hallie had an orthodontist appointment in half an hour. So, as the theme of this post goes, I did something I never thought I would do. I called my Visiting Teacher, who is also my across the street neighbor and asked her to come sit in my living room while my boys napped. She graciously accepted, and she even told me to stay out for awhile because she “could tell I needed a break.” So I took Hallie to her appt., did some errands, got Hallie an ice cream, and headed back home.
Now I am forgetting to add that the main reason of my stress of the day came from the main thing that “I never thought” I would have to deal with. I received the news that my beloved Grandpa has cancer. It is Lymphoma, and it is bad. This is my sweet 85 year old grandpa who is stubborn as a mule, yet the kindest and most caring man alive. This is the Grandpa who has called me along with my sweet Grandma nearly every day of my married life just to "see how I am". This is the Grandpa who survived the attack at Pearl Harbor. He survived the huge mine explosion at the Bonanza mine when all the men he worked with died. He survived watching his only 2 sons die tragically. I love him so much. I thought that I would have shed a lot more tears today than I have. I just have a calming peace that everything will be o.k. I know that he will die eventually. He has lived a very full and wonderful life. I just hope he doesn’t have to suffer long. I also hope that my Grandma can join him soon after, and they can reunite in heaven with their 2 sons that have already passed on before them-along with many many others.
So you know the phrase “when it rains it pours?” Well it is so true for me right now. I have also learned yet again to “never say never.” It is those things that you never thought would happen that always do. The key is to have the faith that it is all part of the plan. The Savior does not want us to suffer, or be punished. This is just a small moment that we call life, and everything, and I mean everything will work out in the end.
I took this picture Sunday afternoon.
I am always relieved to see a rainbow. I think it is a sign of our Savior’s love, the feeling of a clean fresh start, and most of all hope….Everything will be o.k.

8 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

Wow Kandice!!! I am so sorry to hear you had such a crazy day....and without GJ which makes it harder. I wish you would have called me. I would love to come over and help you clean, watch the boys, etc. Aren't you glad for the church though for VT, reassuring feelings & messages, and the love we feel from our Savior? Hang in there!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Oh Kamdice I just love you. Thanks again for sharing you thoughts and frustrations. i am always to nervous to write about the things I am really thinking in fear of who really reads my blog. (you know what I mean) and I just admire you willingness to share with us all. I am so glad you were able to ask your MIL to help you out. But mostly I am happy you shared the picture you took on SUnday. What a peacful picture.

Cassie said...

Kandice, I just read your last 2 posts. I am sorry too. I feel like I know you so well! If I lived closer I would insist you have a girls night out! That always makes me feel better, when I can talk to other mothers and know that it isn't just me that feels the way I do some days. I have felt your same feelings before. I just love you! You are a great example to me. You are great and I love your blog.
I am sorry about your Grandpa, that would be so hard. I know it will all work out.
Cassie

Kelli said...

What a day. I am so glad you asked for help twice. Good for you. Sorry about your grandpa. Hugs and Prayers for you and your family!

Danielle Hacking said...

You are so right though, everything does work out, and even when doubt peeks its little head in, and we aren't sure why things happen the way they do, we know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for us... Thanks for your reassuring thoughts, beautiful picture!

Nathan and Shanna said...

Holy Cow! It is amazing that you were able to ask for help when you needed it the most! I too have a really hard time doing that as well. I also love how you include the positive along with the not so positive stuff. There is always a rainbow after the rain.

The McClellan Clan said...

WOW!! I totally know how you are feeling right now. I thought I'd cry more for my grandpa, because of all the memories and Iove I had for him, but its so nice knowing that we know how well taken care of they will be if and when they die, so it makes it easier!! He seems like a sweetheart and I am so glad you've been able to be close to them. I know with the kids its so hard, but I learned to, that if I stopped instantly what I was doing, read my scriptures and said a prayer, things would change. And it did. I had to give a talk just recently on keeping the spirit in your life and your home. It helped me out so much. good luck my dear, keep that rainbow in your little heart. Corny sounding huh. Good luck!!

Unknown said...

I completely agree with Janice. It helps so much to hear what is really going on in others lives and yet why is it so hard to really write them?

Maybe I should take the leap and make my blog a little more personal? Either that or making an entirely new blog for that purpose... hmmm

I hope things pick up for you soon, and just know that there are people out here who care about you :)