
I have been reading G.J’s grandma’s journal the past week or so. It was compiled into a really nice hardback book along with other histories and pictures. Her name was Hallie Searle, so our Hallie is named after her. She was an amazing woman with 9 children. I imagine I will mention a lot of her experiences in the future, but the one that is most relevant at this time is our Salt Lake trips. To them, “back in the day” a trip to Salt Lake was a big deal. Today, although it is still a big deal, it is much easier, except if you have 3 kids under 7, one of which was being very naughty.
Our niece was being baptized today, so we really wanted to be there for her. We headed out yesterday at 2. We arrived at 5 and met up with family at the mall. My kids were over stimulated from being in the car for 3 hours. They were thirsty, hungry, had to go potty every 30 minutes, and were very enthralled by all the stores and what they knew they had to offer. We were waiting for a table at a restaurant nearby, which on a Friday night for a party of 16 is no easy task. After 2 hours or so of trying to keep the kids happy, we ate. Thank goodness for Grandma and Grandpa! It was really nice to see all of G.J.’s family that we don’t get to see all that often. Hallie and Gavin were being very nice, except for another Build-A-Bear Workshop drama. They wanted to do one so bad. I was nice enough to let them buy an outfit for the bears that they already have at home. (See picture) They wanted a picture in this little photo booth (see picture), but Kayler was NOT happy, and screaming, so while they are taking this picture he is throwing a fit in my arms.
Anyways, after dinner, we headed to G.J.’s sister Lorrie’s house. My kids just love her kids, and Lorrie was so sweet and hospitable to us. Kayler would NOT go to sleep. He has a strange phobia just like his mommy about sleeping at other people’s houses. He had only had a half hour nap, and yet there we lay at 11:00 with him giggling/screaming/playing/crying. He finally gave in and we all slept until 7 a.m. We had to be at the baptism at 9 a.m.
I was excited for Hallie and Gavin to see the baptism, since Hallie is going to be baptized this September. They do it differently on the Wasatch front. Each child has their own separate baptism, whereas here, they just have a big service for all the kids in the stake that have turned 8 and then herd them through the baptism process. I like the more personal thing, but I guess we will have a really special lunch/dinner for Hallie when it is her turn to make up for it. Kayler was a BEAST at the baptism and dinner. I just wanted to relax and have fun with family, but nope, he had other plans. As soon as they uncovered the baptismal font, his eyes just lit up and I could just see his little mind thinking, “I would love to go swimming in that water.” After a quick daydream on my part of that happening, I held on tightly to him in the hall, not wanting a scene like that to occur.
They had a nice brunch, and then we realized there was a storm moving in. The kids were tired. We had no money, no energy, and just wanted to get home. So as much as I would have liked to stay and visit and shop and play, it just wasn’t an option. SO here I sit, 24 hours after this journey began, already home from our quick trip. G.J. and I get to go back all alone on the 20th-21st, so that will be much funner. Even though it was not all that enjoyable, we are very blessed, and I thought several times of G.J.’s Grandma Hallie and the trials in her life, and the trips to Salt Lake that she made, and somehow it made it easier. I wish I could have met her, but by reading her journals I have felt connected in a way. Have a good day!
9 comments:
I am glad you left before the storm, it is crazy out here. I need to run to the store, but I don't want to until it stops. Too bad the trip between Vernal and SlC was shorter, I will be back in Vernal next weekend. Take care.
Chris and I talk about all of our ancestors making the "trek" from vernal to slc it is amazing we can go there and back in one day, all in the comfort of our heated vehicals with a movie on for the kids!! I am glad you made it before the storm..
ashley
I just love reading your blog and all your insights. You have such a way with wording that puts a smile on my face. It sounds like it was a busy 24 hours but I'm glad you are back safe and were able to have a small amount of time with GJ's family.
I think it is great Hallie got to see a baptism so close to her own. I am always glad to hear stories about other people's experiences with their kids. It makes me realized I should give my kids a break because they are just like any other little kids! Thanks for sharing!
Kandice, Glad you had a good short trip, atleast you were safe. We had to leave on Sunday fairly early, I was going to run some treats by before we left, but then realized it was fast Sunday and didn't want to be a bad influence :) We'll be out for Easter weekend I think, maybe we can do somthing then, we go roll easter eggs down a mountain the Saturday before Easter, your family is welcome to come, its a fun weird tradition. Hope all is well, talk to you later! Dani
Kandice, I hope you don't mind me just inviting myself onto your blog, I just started one last week and Stephanie told me to look at yours. It is so great! Your journaling is so fun to read. It inspired me! Your kids are getting big! CUTE kids, CUTE blog! I am so glad I started one, now we can keep in touch!
I love reading all of your little details. You are too cute! Okay I LOVE your blog! Everyone is starting to do the really cute stuff and personalizing it. How do you do it? I am a geek when it comes to computers. I hear its actually starting to warm up there in Vernal right????!!
Hey, I'm glad you made it home from SLC, and that you survived taking your kids! It's really cool that you have GJ's grandma's journal to read...that will be neat for Hallie when she gets older to be able to learn all about her namesake.
Your new layout is super cute! Does that mean you are starting to do digital scrapbooking, too?
Sounds like you had a crazy weekend. Good luck you made it back safe and sound. I'm feeling okay I get really sick but it's starting to get better I think. Depends on the day. I have a wedding in Logan to go to this weekend so I won't be at Raquels shower. I'm sad! Hey, maybe when it warms up we can get together and let our little ones play. How old is Kayler again?
Post a Comment