I truly have been so blessed this week. My in-laws, friends, neighbors, and my sweet husband have just done everything for me. I haven’t cooked a meal, cleaned my house, had to worry about my kids…nothing. I am grateful beyond words for the things that were done. I almost felt silly having everyone take such good care of me…since it was just a Grandma’s funeral…but she wasn’t “just a Grandma” she was much much more. I know that care wasn't taken for only me, but a lot was done for my grandpa, my aunts, and my cousins as well.
My poor Grandpa has not had a good week. He can hardly speak without breaking down in tears. I have NEVER seen him like this, not even when his son died 5 years ago. I was telling him all the nice things people had done for me, and he just broke down and said something about how he just couldn’t believe how nice people were being and how grateful he is.
The funeral went perfectly. In Vernal, with not much else to do, all the old people who knew my Grandma…even if just a little came to her funeral. I heard a few of them afterwords saying it was the “nicest funeral they have been to.” I guess that is a compliment right?
I gave the eulogy and a few remarks. I tried REALLY hard not to cry…but did not succeed. The other talks and songs were great, and I think my Grandma would have loved to see all of her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids this past week. We have been together almost every day. We have reminisced, cried, did lots of laughing, and just had a great time.
Pictures of the family at the burial.
Hallie and Rachael enjoying the flowers
Holly, Mandy, and my mother in law all gave me the most beautiful flowers. My whole house seriously smells like a flower shop. I love them all, and I hope they live a long time!
Hallie has been in a Musical Theater clinic all week. It was a good distraction for her every day, and she really enjoyed performing. Her performance was Friday afternoon after the funeral.
Today we took my Grandpa to Dinosaur, CO to buy some lottery ticket. Nothing heals the heart like wasting money on scratch and sniff lottery tickets!
Today it has been raining. I can't help but to find a little symbolism in it. It is like it is washing away all the pain and sadness...and allowing for a fresh clean start. My Grandma would want to be remembered for the happiness she brought into our lives, and not to be sad and depressed. Sure there are going to be hard times ahead for all of us, but we are going to be o.k. It has been amazing how my memory has opened up and I am having a lot of flashbacks of the fun I have had with her. I love you Grandma...
10 comments:
Kandice, I'm so glad everything went well. I bet it was beautiful. It couldn't NOT be because I know you've always said such nice things about her so I know others would do the same as well. I hope you're doing okay!! TAke care my dear.
this has to be one of your best posts ever. ALot of thought and reflection, I love the pic of the casket with all the family standing behind it. Hugs to you and all your family with many prayers for you all
What beautiful pictures to have! I am sorry that I wasn't able to do more for you this week! I don't know how you found time to do anything for Jeff - but it sure brought a smile to his face!
I ment to send you some flowers all week, but it was a weird one for me with my sis here till Friday and I spaced it... I do love you though and hope you start feeling better soon.
I am glad that you are doing okay. I'm so proud of you for doing the Eulogy. I can't imagine how hard that would have been, but I know you did great. Wish I was there to give you a big hug and some mint chocolate cookie Ben & Jerry's.
I am so glad that everything went well. I am sure your grandma is one amazing woman. I wish I could have known her. I hope this week goes much smoother for you-no surprises. Can't wait to see you tomorrow.
I think there is no greater tribute to your grandma then all those people being around to take care of you and your family. She must have been great. Hope your grandpa does ok, I can't even imagine how hard that must be.
Isn't it funny how something as simple as lottery tickets can bring joy back.
It truley is the simple things in life that matter.
I hope you have a much better week!
Hey Kandice,
So sorry to hear about your Grandma. Glad everything went well at the funeral.
I am glad that everything went well. Reading your post just made me cry and think of my grandparents. It is so hard but will get a little better. I promise. Take advantage of having your grandpa here because it is a lot harder when they both are gone. I wish I still had one of them here. I still miss them like crazy. You will be glad you have all those memories with them. RIght them down because things are easily forgotten. I cherish the memories I have. Hope you are holding up and hope you family is doing well too. I remember after my grandpa died We spent a lot of time with my grandma because she had a hard time being alone so visit the grandpa a lot, it will help you both a lot.
Post a Comment