Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm on Meth...

O.K.....not THE "meth" but methimazole. Lol, I shouldn't even joke about that, but I had to come up with a catchy title.

I still feel silly putting my medical problems out there, but I am an honest person, and it helps me to talk (or type) about things, so there you have it. I have mentioned the past 6 weeks or so about my thyroid problems. Well, after a year of suffering, finally finding the right Dr., and having a ton of tests-I FINALLY know what is wrong. Hashitoxicosis. Big word...so see description below:
Hashitoxicosis is an autoimmune thyroid disorder, in which individuals with autoimmune hypothyrodism, usually Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT), experience intermittent or sporadic periods where they also have symptoms of hyperthyrodism.

So I know that means nothing to anyone but me...but I am so glad to finally have a name to all of this, as silly as that sounds! So my Dr. called today and I start on this methimazole to help with all the symptoms, and 1/3 of patients taking the meth meds actually go into remission and heal themselves, lets hope that would be me!

Anyways, enough about me, I took Kayler to the Dr. today for his 3 year old checkup and he was SO sweet. I am always saying what a challenge he is, but today was perfect with him. He was so funny with the Dr., and Dr. Pollary just picked him up and loved him and got a little teary eyed and said, "he is so cute and special...he makes my job worth it." I got choked up and I am truly grateful for such a good Dr. to help me. He has been there through the worst times, so to have him be so good today I think meant a lot to the Dr.

So a little stats on Kayler's 3 year Well Child Check:
-Got 1 shot...I didn't even know he needed it, good thing I took his immunization card!
-weighed 30 lbs even (25th percentile)
-was 37 inches tall (25th percentile)
-had a 17 inch head (90th percentile)-he's always had a big head!

He was healthy, happy, and so cute....so I will take it. Any moment that isn't filled with tantrums and trouble I cherish.

So that is it for now. Nothing else new, just a little report.

10 comments:

G.J. said...

Glad you finally found what is wrong Mama Bear. Now hope we can get those symptoms under control. Good to hear Kayler is strong and healthy, hopefully his head doesn't get any bigger to where his LarryBoy hat doesn't fit anymore. :-P

Hillary said...

Yay!! So much to be happy about. Finding a name has to feel so much better, and to know that you could possibly rid it all is fantastic! I agree with you on Pollary, he is SO amazing!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I can't believe Kayler is 3... wow. Time flys.

I am so glad you have a name for all your medical problems. Did they have to do the T4 test to determine what you had? I think I am having my checked soon.... the period thing is getting me big time. It has changed so much in the last 2 years.

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

So nice to have answers! Yeah! and so great that Kayler had a good day. The 2s have been a tough age for me.:)

Kassi Luck said...

I am glad you finally got some answers. I hope this medicine works for you. I forgot how close in age that Daysen and Kayler are. Looks like he had a good birthday. I will give you a call when we get back for good.

Josh and Kristen said...

I bet it feels good to know where to take it from here (your health, I mean). Knowledge is power. Happy Birthday to Kayler!

Kelli said...

Kayler and Kimber CAN NOT HAVE BABIES together. The babies heads would be in the 200% can you even imagine?

Glad your on meth. Hope it helps, PLEASE keep us posted. I for one love hearing anything you have to say and am glad you have some hope in the medical area of your life!

Lacy said...

What a good example you are!

Anonymous said...

Hope you get feeling better, it is always a relief just to have answers! Your little boy is a doll, he does so well because he has a great mommy and daddy!

Candace and Brian said...

So glad you both had good weeks with medical information. :) I hope you get feeling better. SO cute about Kayler & Pollary. I've actually missed you. Even though we don't talk daily just knowing I'm so far away makes me miss ya. :)