Thank you so much to all those who left comments about my terrible day yesterday. Today I woke up with a little bit of a better attitude about it, and hopefully all will work out. I will keep you posted on it all.
Anyways, I hesitated, as usual to do this post. I wanted to do it after the first incident that I had with this certain topic, but was afraid I would come off as self righteous or appear to have a holier- than- though attitude. After my second incident, I decided I definitely had to include it in my posts. It is a cheerful post, and since yesterday’s was so down, I thought I better do it. So remember, I am not self righteous nor do I have a holier than though attitude.
Ever since I was little, the main thing I think my parents taught me was about being honest in every way. I have tried my darndest to be my best at that. I have had many opportunities to do so, and mostly I have succeeded, but of course I have failed as well. Well, a little situation was given to me to show my honesty a few weeks ago. Then I had another chance yesterday.
We didn’t have too much money for school clothes this year. I was so so sad, because I wanted to buy tons of new cute stuff for my kids to wear for school. Well, me being a budget freak, and looking into the future of expenses we were going to have the next few months, I only came up with $200 to buy clothes for both kids going to school. I didn't want to spend that $200 on gas to get to a mall to buy them, so luckily, Old Navy was having an online sale. A really good one at that. So you will be very impressed with what $200 got me. I got Hallie: 2 pairs of pants, 4 shirts, 1 coat, and 1 dress w/ leggings, underwear and socks. I got Gavin 2 pairs of pants, 3 shirts, underwear and socks. I was so pleased with my bargain shopping.
Well, the day for the package to arrive came, and I excitedly opened the box and loved everything. I looked next to the box I had opened, and realized that they had sent another box-an exact duplicate order… My first thought was oh great; they charged my debit card double. So I hurry and checked my bank statement and they hadn’t. So I called the company to tell them, and the lady I talked to was actually shocked. She said that most people would have returned the whole box and just pretended they were getting a full refund. I guess that thought had entered my mind for a fraction of a second, but I couldn’t have lived with myself if I did that. So she told me to print off a return label, send the duplicate box back, and they would make a note on my account not to credit me for it.
So, days past by and a few days ago I was checking my bank account online. I was shocked when I had a full credit from Old Navy. I was a little bit upset because I thought of all the trouble I had gone through to get that darn box back to them. This next part I am ashamed to admit, but I thought oh well, their problem, I’m not calling. Well, I called G.J. and told him the situation. He said, “Kandice, that is not our money, you call them right now.” So, I did, and guess what the lady said, “You have been honest with us not only once, but twice, so you keep that money and do whatever you want with it.” I was so happy I almost cried…so silly I know, but when money is tight, $200 is a HUGE amount to me.
So this is where my story leads next. I had only got the kid’s clothes, not shoes or anything else. Since I now had another $200 to spend, I got them each a couple pair of shoes on a great steal of a deal here in Vernal. Then I took a look at my running (or in my case walking) shoes and realized I really wanted a new pair. I hardly ever buy things for myself. Besides what I buy from Modbe, I basically don’t buy anything. My good friends Mandy and Holly told me I better buy something for myself or
Then after my terrible day yesterday, my good husband let me take a nice bubble bath, get ready, and go back to the store to get me the shoes. Well, the first day I got there, they happened to be on sale. Just my luck, on my already terrible day yesterday I got there and they were no longer on sale. But, the kid’s shoes were now 40 and 50 % off, so I decided to get those. Then I just caved in and said that I would take the running shoes too. I paid the girl and left-experiencing the buyer’s remorse that always seems to come when I spend money on myself.
Well, I got looking at my receipt this morning, and they charged me wrong. Like way wrong, they charged me too little. They were supposed to give me 40% off on a $19 pair of sandals for Gavin. Instead, they gave me 40% off on my $80 running shoes. I was like oh great, here we go again. Of course, the natural man (woman) in me reared its ugly head, and I thought I wouldn’t do anything. After like 10 minutes of a guilty pit in my stomach, I gave Basin Sports a call. The girl had to talk to her manager and then call me back. To my surprise, once again, she said, “thanks for being honest, it was our mistake, don’t worry about making up the difference.”
So, the moral of this post is not to show you that I am some saint or whatever. Just to show you that honestly really does count and matter, and in my case, earned me a lot of money! Have a great day!
14 comments:
In this day and age where morals sometimes (most times) are tossed by the wayside, it is nice to know we have freinds that are so honest! Way to go Kandice. This just goes to show that if we are honest in all our dealings with our fellow man, we will be blessed. What a great person you are! Have a wonderful day and a better week!
That is so nice. It seems we are always tempted in ways like that. I had a huge incident with the baby bedding and crib. Unfortunately I didn't get the nice response of them saying it was their mistake. At least all the time and trouble cleared my conscience. We are always blessed when we do what's right. I hope today you have a much better day and YEAH for you for buying new shoes.
This is an awesome story Kandice. We are truly blessed when we the right thing. You are a great person and example!
Hey, can you go buy some more windows for our house? hehe I know what you mean. When money is tight and you just dont want the hassel, but you have to do it anyway. Good for you for doing it and look at the great blessings. YEAH for you.
OH my gosh i loved this post!!! you are a good person kandice thanks for sharing this with us!!
That is Awesome. I believe in Karma. What goes around comes around. Good Job.
okay so I'm a firm believer in tithing!! I know this isn't a church blog, but when money is tight, some way things just happen and the money situation will be okay. And there you go!!
Thanks for being so honest Mrs. kandice!!
How cool are you!! That is so awesome!! and that's why I love your stinkin' guts so much. and don't even sweat gavin's episode the other day. Just give him extra love and pray pray pray for him. Kenyon has had similar things happen to him, trust me it's not the end of the world. However, when it ends, nobody really knows.
I'm glad you are having a better day today. And I think that it's awesome how much you were rewarded for your honesty! You are such an awesome person and I look up to you so much!
I guess the old saying..."Honesty is the best policy" is true. I may use this story in a FHE lesson sometime. What a good example you are!!
What a great lesson. Have I told you how much I love your blog???
I haven't checked your blog for a few days, so I am sorry about your bad day you had before.
I am glad you got something for you (running shoes). It is hard to do things for ourselves.
You are a great example, I have had a few experiences like this. It is a good reminder for us.
I'm so sorry that I haven't been keeping up with your blog. I would have called you if I had read about your rough day with Kaylor sooner! I am so sorry that he is struggling, and that you feel responsible. But, no matter how good of parents we are, we can't always control everything about our kids. Remember that ALL parents deal with things like this at one time or other, and it in no way reflects on your parenting. We all know you are a great mom. Things will get better with Kaylor, whether it's growing out of a stage, or getting other assistance if he does indeed have some Autism or Asperger's. (Keep us posted on that, by the way!) Also, just so you know, I have several friends who have children with different forms of Autism and Asperger's, and some who are currently being tested. And Jess works with 3 boys who have Autism, so she's kind of an expert. So...if you ever have any questions or concerns, let me know & I'll pass them along to them. Hopefully Kaylor will be just fine and not have either one of them. I will be praying for you guys! I hope you work something out so you can work out, too. That is something that moms NEED for their own sanity!
Call me anytime if you want to talk!
Also...what are your plans for next weekend and the Modbe thing? We are moving on Saturday, but you're welcome to stay with me at my parents' house on Friday, or at our new house the rest of the weekend.
I think that is totally awesome. The Lord is really helping you through your financial problems. He works in mysterious ways, but you have to do your part too. You are a great example!
Those are awesome stories. I think its great that you documented that and you can look back and realize how much you are constantly blessed for doing the right thing.
Post a Comment