Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My meager harvest, and my obsession.

OK-The next two things I am about to blog about are quite embarrassing to me. The title of this post was my meager harvest and my obsession. I will talk about my meager harvest first.

I love this time of year when the gardens are getting ripe. There is nothing better than a fresh tomato sandwich, sliced cucumber with salt, and fresh corn on the cob. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. I know plenty of people who have gardens, and I am not one of them. So many people share their gardens with us-neighbors, family, friends, etc. Since I am really the only one in my house who loves fresh garden vegetables, it would be a waste to plant a huge garden for myself. The first 4 summers we lived in this house, I tried (and failed) to plant cucumbers and tomatoes each in their own separate pot (a very big pot). I tried different methods each year, and always ended up with 2-3 ripe and yummy tomatoes, and like 1 good cucumber-that’s it. Last year I ended up with no tomatoes, and 1 round yellow cucumber. Guess that’s why you don’t put the pots so close together….the tomatoes and cucumber “mated” and I ended up with some concoction that was not so yummy. This year, I decided to try something different. I love strawberries, so I did some of those. Well, all was going well the first part of the summer, and I enjoyed several yummy berries, but I haven’t seen one berry in the last 2 months. There are plenty of green leafs, but no blossoms. I also love garden carrots, so I gave them a try. Well, take a look yourself at my meager (and pathetic I might add) Harvest. :( I give up.

The next part of my post has to do with my obsession lately. I have mentioned several times on this blog that I have been so extremely busy all summer long. The past few weeks have been busy, but in a different way. So I have had the afternoons while my boys nap and Hallie plays to fill my mind and time with all sorts of things. I have chosen books. I get on these kicks ever so often and I rent like 15 books and I get obsessed to finish them all. I start in the late afternoon while the kids are napping or playing, then I stay up late to finish it. Yep, I read FULL novels, like 300-400 pages in one day. Partly thanks to my scan reading ability, and the other part like I stated earlier, obsession. Well, in the past 2 weeks I am up to 16 novels. Mostly the sappy Mormon novels with the predictable endings that we all love. I have read a few Rachel Nunes, and ALL of Betsy Brannon Green’s books. She is a wonderful author combining love, crime, mystery, humor, etc.etc.etc. She is my new favorite author. Well of course I was excited for the new Stephenie Meyer book to come out, “Breaking Dawn”. I was in SL for the big premiere and I had went shopping and noticed a huge crowd at Barnes and Noble. I had forgotten about it, and wanted to go stand in line so bad, but I had other things to do. So I knew several people who had the book and were willing to borrow after they were finished. They were taking their time reading it. I also have my name on the waiting list at the library. I thought I could be patient and wait my turn, but I am sorry to admit that patience is not one of my best qualities. I just got back from Wal-Mart, and that book was amongst my purchases! I never ever buy books, I think it is a waste of money because I only read them once, but just this once I couldn't resist. I am so excited for the kids to go to sleep so I can begin the book and rekindle my love interest with my dear Edward.

So please don’t judge me for being a horrible gardener and obsessive compulsive book nerd. Other than these few things, I am just enjoying this time of year. I think I am finally ready for school to start. I am less busy, less stressed, and doing well. On that note, I need to apologize to all those who had been invited to read my private blog. I decided to delete that blog completely. I always thought of things to post about (mostly on my bad days), but never did, and I was always in a constant battle deciding whether or not to. I finally decided to make it easier on all of us by just deleting the whole thing. Sorry! Maybe someday I will take it up again, but for now, I’m not going to.

The kids are very excited because we are going to our Ward Campout this Friday and Saturday. We are going “real” camping, with just a tent, sleeping bags, and clothes on our backs. The weather is looking nasty, so wish us luck! Have a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, sad. Your attempt at Gardening looks like mine. I tried pots for my tomato plants, too, but they are dying. I was so excited that I succesfully few corn this year, but then found that the earwigs got into it and ruined it. Bummer.

Lucky Me said...

If you want to try strawberries again you need to pluck all the first blooms. I know it sounds wrong and it will break you heart to do it but it does make them produce tons more. If you really want to grow something zuccini won't fail...you just have to figure out what to do with it after you pick it. So far my tomatoes are going nuts so if they keep it up and actually turn red I'll have plenty to share.

Mandy said...

Thanks for comming over last night... sorry I wasn't any fun. YOur cupcakes, however, were DELISH!!!

Michele and Wyatt said...

At least you try a garden. I have been going to every year, but never have. Maybe next year?