Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Update on my cookbook.


So this next update has to do with my new cookbook. If you missed that post, click here. http://mylittlefamilyof5.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-new-cookbook.html My blogger friend Kelli is the one who told me about it. It has truly changed my life….all jokes aside, seriously it has. I used to HATE to cook and I actually did everything I could to get out of it. My poor family, I don’t really remember anything we used to eat, although I know it was not near as good or healthy or inexpensive as it is now.

I know that I have complained about too little money in our household, and this book has been a blessing in disguise. In March, when I got the book, we had a gift card to Costco. We bought things like shampoos, lotions, medicines, paper towels, plates, laundry stuff, diapers, etc. With the cookbook, I only do a big grocery shop…as I like to call it- 2 times a month. I then go to the store for milk, bread, fruits and veggies usually 2 other times in the month, if that. Before the cookbook, I was spending like $400-$500 a month on groceries, and making like 7 or 8 trips a month. Now….believe it or not, we are spending $200 a month...no lie. Because I have the bulk more expensive items stocked up on, I don’t have to spend on that. With the cookbook, it uses very common things that I usually already have on hand. I get the recipes and grocery list that is provided and just check off what I have, and buy the rest. I usually spend $80 each time on the two big grocery trips, and then $10 or $20 every so often for random things.

Most of all, it is really good meals. They are not weird things that are all fancy and gross. It is good down home cookin’, just how we like it. My kids have not turned into better eaters, I will admit, but at least they are always offered good choices, and I pray that they will come around some day.

My Mom has got the book, as well as some friends. I haven’t checked to see how they are doing with it yet, but hopefully they are doing as well as I am. Have a good day.

p.s. there is only one downfall to the book, and you will have to stay tuned tomorrow for my complaint.


Here is the link to the book www.myfamilymealplanner.com

5 comments:

Kelli said...

My only complaint so far is sometimes, things are a bit dry, like they needed more spag sauce if it was spag that night. Ok, my grocery bill has not gone down like yours......... I may have to rethink my shopping. It has gone down though but not that much. Glad your enjoying it. Cant wait to see what your complaint is.......

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

That is so great! I love to cook, but I am always looking for ways to save $ on groceries and for new recipes. I am wondering what the complaint is, or I might get the book!:) I have also started only doing the big shopping 2 times a month that is a huge part of saving $$ for me. I am glad it is working. Maybe we could revise what isn't working and make our own book and sell it! :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

Freak I so need that book

The McClellan Clan said...

alight you got me interested. I love to cook but hate to shop so I might have to take you up on all this!!!

Michele and Wyatt said...

I've been trying to create my own menu, but it's not working very good. I just ordered that book. I hope it helps me, and I really like the idea of saving money on groceries.