Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ohhhh the Drama...

Warning: Extremely long post…The longest I have EVER done-just to warn you.

I try really hard not to blog about my frustrations with Kayler. Part of the reason is that I don’t want to seem like a whiner. The other part is that sometimes, I truly have no frustrations with him, and I cherish those times. Right now is not one of those times.

At church Sunday, he was terrible in Sacrament meeting. I’m sorry to say…unless you have had a child like him, you will not know the true meaning of “terrible” until you have experienced it, or watched him. My parents came to our church once a few months ago, and after we left, my dad patted me on the shoulder and said, “Kandice, if you go inactive I would never hold it against you.” It is that bad….

He continued on being naughty in Nursery. First off, our nursery is SO big. It has 3 of the best leaders though. They are my friends Erin and Kyndi, along with our neighbor Toni who has 5 very rambunctious kids of her own, so she is used to chaos. They are all great leaders, but our ward has SO many kids. I think there are usually 20+ each week. Well, Kayler escaped somehow last week. Luckily my brother was in the hall and captured him and took him back to class. That worries me so much because our church is on the Naples Highway. He is strong enough to open the outside doors, so if he happens to get out again….who knows what will happen.

The next thing that bothered me is that I noticed a little girl with scratch marks on her face. Her mom asked what had happened and I knew right away it was Kayler’s fault. I called Erin and she said that he had attacked several kids, and had been doing not so well. A lot of parents stay in Nursery with their kids, and a lot of them were asking what the heck was wrong with Kayler, why would he act that way, etc.

So I was SO embarrassed. I had decided awhile back that I didn’t owe anyone an explanation of why he acts the way he does. After he hurt several children, I decided to put myself in their situation, and if it were me, I would want an explanation. So I talked to my friend Nikki, who had an autistic child in the Nursery class she had taught. The mother of that child had a meeting with all the nursery kids’ parents and explained his behavior. They also called a special person to be her little boy’s teacher-one on one.

I am not one for meetings, but I did put together a letter and was going to send it to all the parents of Nursery kids in our ward. It is long, but if you care to read….go ahead:

January 14th, 2008

Dear Ward Members:

If you are receiving this letter, it is because your child attends Nursery at Glines 1st Ward with our little boy Kayler. It has been only after much prayer and consideration, and Kayler’s recent behavior at Nursery that we decided to send these letters.

Most of you receiving this letter know our family. If you are new in the ward, our names are Kandice and G.J. Searle. We have 3 children. Hallie is 8, Gavin is 6, and Kayler will be 3 in May. We have been in the ward for just over 5 years. We live at 1521 W 2950 S and our phone # is 781-0397 or 828-0397 if you ever need to contact us.

When Kayler turned 2 last May, we noticed his behavior starting to change. We thought it was the terrible 2’s at first. He became aggressive-biting, hitting, screaming, scratching, etc. He was soon afraid to go into public places, had certain toys that he would carry for weeks on end, and repeated behaviors and phrases that were very odd to us.

We went through the summer trying to figure out what was wrong with him- if anything. Finally in the fall, after 2 evaluations from 2 separate teams of Dr.’s, Kayler was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. While it is in the Autism Spectrum, it is different in many ways. Here are the symptoms of a typical child with Asperger’s:
• Abnormal nonverbal communication, such as problems with eye contact, facial expressions, body postures, or gestures
• Failure to develop peer relationships
• Being singled out by other children as "weird" or "strange"
• Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests or achievements with others (a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
• Markedly impaired expression of pleasure in other people's happiness
• Inability to return social or emotional feelings
• Inflexibility about specific routines or rituals
• Repetitive finger flapping, twisting, or whole body movements
• Unusually intense preoccupation with narrow areas of interest, such as obsession with train schedules, phone books, or collections of objects
• Preoccupation with parts of whole objects
• Repetitive behaviors, including repetitive self-injurious behavior
• Being very physically aggressive if others invade his/her personal space
While Kayler does not have all the symptoms, he does have most of them. The most prevalent symptom he has is being very aggressive when other kids or even adults touch his toys/body etc. He gets very attached to specific toys, and when another child even acts like they want to touch it, he sees it as a very large threat and usually always acts out by biting, scratching, etc. We know that he has done this often in Nursery. He even does it to us as parents, his siblings, grandparents, cousins, etc.
We are truly sorry in every way if your child has ever been hurt by Kayler. We apologize ahead of time if by chance he happens to do it again. It is such a struggle for us as parents to see our little boy act out in such an unacceptable way to express his frustrations. It is embarrassing for us that he hurts other children. We know that we wouldn’t want our children hurt by others, so when our little boy is the one doing the damage, we feel so helpless. We often just want to keep him at home away from other kids and even adults. All the Dr.’s and therapists who have worked with Kayler have reassured us that keeping him away from social situations will only make him worse. The only way he will learn to be and act better is to keep exposing him to normal situations such as church, family functions, etc.
We know that it is easy to think of us as bad parents, and to imagine that we don’t teach him right from wrong or discipline him. While we are only human, we work very hard with Kayler as well as our other children. Kayler is in therapy groups 2-3 times a week. We work on his many skills, his behavior, and most importantly-try to help him function as normal as possible, especially in social situations. He has made a lot of progress, and in fact-sometimes when he is at home with familiar surroundings and situations, you would never guess that anything is wrong with him. It is only outside the home where the situations and circumstances are beyond his control that he has problems. Also, we have tried staying in Nursery with him to prevent his bad behavior, but surprisingly, even with our best efforts, he acts worse with us there, not to mention we both have callings to fulfill outside of the Nursery.
We aren’t asking for sympathy, acceptance of his behavior, or anything of the sort. It is easy to label him as a complete brat. The truth is that even though his actions make him appear that way, he truly does not know what he is doing sometimes, and doesn’t understand consequences or that what he is doing is hurting another person. If anything, the main reason we sent this letter is to help you as parents understand a little bit more about why he acts the way he does. That way, if you come in contact with him acting badly, or if your child has a bad experience with him, you will know what to expect and how to react. We know that a lot of parents stay in the Nursery with their kids. If you see him acting out, you are more than welcome and have our permission to redirect his attention to prevent him from being aggressive with another child. We know that 18 month-3 year old kids don’t understand a lot of things. It might not do any good to explain to your child about Kayler, but it is worth a try. It might prevent them from getting hurt by him.
More than anything, we just want Kayler to be a normal little boy and learn to grow with this disorder. We love him so much, and have learned a lot of patience from working with him. We know that by a lot of love and therapy on our part as parents as well as our families, he will succeed. We truly appreciate anything that you can do as friends, neighbors, and ward members to help us with Kayler. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely, G.J. and Kandice Searle

So I worked hard getting the list from our Primary President, and I also asked her about getting a special teacher just for Kayler. She didn’t seem too sold on the idea, but whatever. I got all the letters put together and ready to send, then I got a phone call from my mom. I don’t really talk to her about Kayler, because her ideas are a lot different than mine, and I usually end up feeling bad. Well, this time was no different. She told me that the letters were absolutely the most ridiculous idea she had ever heard of, and that I should be so embarrassed to send them. She also said that Kayler does not belong in the church, and that she knows he is going to escape and get ran over on the highway. She thinks that G.J. and I should take turns going to church for a couple of years until Kayler gets better. (Yes, she can be blunt and quite extreme at times) I love my mom, and accept her advice, but now I am more confused than ever.

So here I sit, really not knowing what to do, and I need advice. Should I send the letters, should I not take Kayler to church, should I demand a special teacher for him…?I just don’t know. So, any and all ides would be appreciated. If you actually made it through this super long post....thank you! Have a great day, and wish me luck.

16 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

I can't believe I am first.

Janice {Run Far} said...

Ok. I had to hurry and post that before someone else beat me. ;)

I have to disagree with you mom 100%. I think you are GJ and doing the right thing by sending the letters and also by taking him to church everyweek. Staying home from church is not going to solve a thing. I think that by sending the letters, you are informing the parents that you recongnize the problem and that you are doing your best to change it. I love that in the letter you gave the parents permission to help Kayler redirect his attention. Seriously Kandice, you have no idea how much I admire the way you handle your hand that was dealt to you. It has got to be hard to watch him act the way he does and to know he has know idea what he is doing. You are his mother and you know better then anyone else what is best for him, but I think you are doing a great job. If you prayed about sending the letters and felt it was the right thing, then that is all that matters.
I love you, keep up being the mother I aspire to be.

Hillary said...

I am totally with Janice. I am completely NOT with your mom. I literally had tears in my eyes as I read your letter, it is so heartfelt, humble and sincere. There are no excuses made or brushing off of responsibility. It only contained a desire to help your child, protect him from judgement and a desire to help others understand. You are so brave. I believe a mother knows in her gut what is right. And while your mom is YOUR mom, she has no idea what it is like to be Kayler's mom. Only you know the direction you need to take, and it sounds like the spirit has directed you to that. Good luck Kandice. You are truly amazing. Kayler is so luck to have the parents he does.

Danielle Hacking said...

I think you are making the best possible efforts! And I agree with the others who have posted, staying home from church, keeping him from those experiences won't help the situation get better.
Maybe a teacher in the nursery to help him would be a good idea, it couldn't hurt right?
Also, I have a very direct mother, and there are many times when I know I'm on the right track with something, and bam, she shoots me down... don't get discouraged, you and GJ will do whats best for YOUR family... I think you are already doing a fabulous job!

Caradie said...

Kandice everyone has problems with their kids not just you. Maybe you and G.J. could take turns going into the nursey with him, and I agree with your mom on the letter don't send it. I know nursey is break time for all of us, but it may solve some of your problems.

Jesenia said...

I have to laugh at the mother thing because I also have a mom who is blunt with me. Kandice I am so sorry I would let people know what is going on, they will probablly be more understanding and it might help the situation if others are aware. I don't know if it needs to be in letter form, but maybe just talking to the parents who are in nursery, I don't know, sorry I am not being helpful. You are so strong, and I know that you will be blessed. I hope this works out for you. Have a much better day.

TOYA said...

Put it to the Lord, which I'm sure you already have. you must have been inspired by the spirit when you wrote the letter so it's probably ment to be sent to the parents.

Whit said...

Just remember that the Lord is mindful of your family especially Kayler. If you feel that a letter is in need by all means send it, if I were to recieve one like it I would probably appreciate the fact that someone took the time to explain the situation to me. You and GJ are wonderful parents and are doing your best, we can all see that! Not going to church wouldn't solve anything, you need that! You just do what YOU think is best not what anyone else thinks.

The Durham Family said...

I am sorry Kandace - I know! Just remember that everyone else is responsible for themselves - you are responsible for that sweet little boy - you are all he's got! Fight for him!!!
BTW - thanks for setting me straight with Madi's age!!! ha! ha! ha!
Good luck -
Love ya,
Dana

The Durham Family said...

Maybe talk to the bishop???

The Atwood Family said...

Maybe a talk with your bishop would be a good, He could have some good advice and may not even be aware that you are needed elseware. Staying home isn't the answer either. And it is also not really anyone elses buisness what is going on in your family. They should also not judge isn't that what we are all taught? You have to not let this disability be a crutch for him. I know as well as anyone that your mother has strong opinions but she always means well. She is an awesome mother and grandmother you should feel very lucky to have someone so involved and concerned in your kids lives... Stay strong... things change... and I can say it now that someday you will miss this all...

Brian, Nikki, and Nevie said...

Well...you already know how I feel.(: Only you can know for sure whether sending the letter is right for you. I know that if I were to get a letter like that, it would make me totally respect the parents and be grateful they took the time to let us know what's going on. I think the way you've worded it is perfect--you aren't asking for sympathy, just for some understanding.
If you decide not to send the letter, I think you should still talk to the parents. Even if all you do is call the parents of the kids who were scratched, you know they will spread the word and soon everyone in the ward will know what's going on.
The one thing I do agree with your mom on is that Kayler is in danger if he knows how to escape nursery and get out the main doors. If the nursery leaders aren't able to keep kids from escaping, there is a problem. Not with the leaders--it sounds like they are great and are doing the best they can. But something needs to change. The nurseries could be split up, or they could call more leaders. Or if it's just Kayler who is tricky enough to get out, then someone needs to be assigned to watch him closely.
I don't think there's anything wrong with sending the letter. But if you are nervous about that, I would make an appointment with your bishop for sure. Just let him know what's going on, and that someone's got to be with Kayler. Your bishop is supposed to be there to help you, and I bet he will NOT want you to stop going to church. They can call a special helper for him, or they can release you or GJ so you can be with him. If he is worse with you guys, then I'd push for the "helper." It really really worked for our little Logan, and nobody thought anything of it. He just had a special friend who looked out for him, kept him/others safe, and took him in the halls for a break if he became overstimulated. Both of the girls who were called to be his helpers absoulutely LOVED their calling and were sad when they were released.

I don't know. I am just imagining what it'd be like to be in your shoes, and it would be so hard to know what to do. I think the main thing to remember is that the Lord sent Kayler to you and GJ because you are the best parents for him. YOu know what's best for him, and you can do what's best regardless of what others' think. If you believe it's best for everyone who interacts with him regularly to know and understand his disorder, then you should let them know one way or another.

Your mom does mean well, and you know that I love her! But in this case I think that you and GJ should make the decision, and not worry about what anybody else thinks.

Kelli said...

that was the most informational, beautiful, loving, caring (for others) that I have ever read. REALLY. Your mom is just........your mom, goodluck with that. Your post said with much prayer, so you were directed to send that letter, I know, it would help me if my child had been hurt by Kayler. I also know that my Kyler sometimes didnt fit in the "normal" for church. ANd esp now that he is an adult but not realy able for an adult ss or PH class. Our bishop did offer a personal teacher for him. I turned it down and just bring him along with me and send him to the prest class, he is not allowed to go to YM activities because he is almost 21 but can go the the prest class. ITs hard to say if Kayler would do well in just a one on one class, he kind of needs those other children to help him adjust to "normal" everyday activities outside the home (sorry about my spelling my fingers and head are not working together tonight and I dont care .hehe) anyway, but I also think a smaller class would be better for him. Maybe 5 kidlets??? Your the best mom (and dad for GJ) Kaylor could have, that is why he was SENT to you guys. HF knew you would be in tune to do what is best and to help those around you. Hugs I vote send the letter.

Liberti said...

LeGrands sister has a son who also has aspergers and is dealing with the move to a new ward and advancement to sunbeams...such a hard time (on top of it, her husband isn't a member of the church but attends every sunday) the new ward isn't being very accepting of him and his behavior and the teacher pretty much told them not to bring him back to class - they are really struggling. Sending the letters is the best thing you could have done. It's important for other parents to understand.

Kassi Luck said...

I just want you to know first of all that you are in my prayers. I know what a struggle it is. I have watched and continue to watch Brooke with Madi and although what Madi and Kaylor have is different, it is still a struggle. You and GJ are such wonderful parents, don't ever doubt yourselves. You know the Lord wouldn't want you to miss church just because of this challenge. He has given it to you because you can make it through this and grow from it. I think your letter is a great idea of informing the other parents of what is going on. I think it will give you some peace of mind as well.
Just last weekend when I was home, my sisters and mom were talking about a lady in my moms old ward that has two children and they both have autism. Trishia was saying how she hadn't been to church in a while but she had come that week and her boy had a really hard time. They had noticed that when she would bring him every week it became something he did every week and he didn't act out as much but when they missed for a while and started up again, it was worse. I think the best thing you can do for Kaylor is what you are doing. You guys know whats best and that is taking him to church. I hope I haven't said anything in this comment to offend. I know you and GJ will do what is right for you and your family. You know that you have friends and family that will love and support you guys no matter what decisions you make.

Jared-n-Cindi said...

I think it is a great idea with the letters. If my child was in the nursery I think it would help me understand Kayler's situation, and who knows, maybe more good will come from this than you know. With more people aware, more helping hands, things won't be quite as bad. After all, we are here to help each other right?! You are in our prayers, Kandice, and you are doing a remarkable job!!