
I stole this picture from my cousin Stephanie's blog...I thought it was so neat.
Yesterday for FHE we delivered little treats to all our neighbors that live right around us and gifts to our closest friends and family. I used to love doing it when I was a kid. I was blessed to have a mom who LOVED to give gifts, and she still does, so she made it so much fun. As an adult, I still love to give, but it is so much more stressful, and I wouldn't say that I actually enjoy it like I did when I was younger. I am always worried about so many things. First off what to give. Second, how much it will cost. Third, who will I forget? The list goes on and on. I can never win...even when it comes to giving gifts.
Well this morning I received the sweetest email from a person I would have never thought would send me one. One of our neighbors (who shall remain nameless-not that it matters) lost his wife to cancer this past year. They lived in a very large house across the street from us all alone-their kids rarely visit. I just loved her. She was mostly deaf, but was truly a joy to talk to. It was so funny because she would watch for me to go get my mail most days, and come out at the same time and we would talk. A few months before she died, those little chats got fewer and fewer. I kept telling myself that I needed to go visit, but I never did. When I heard that she had suddenly passed away, I was so shocked, hurt, and it was literally a punch in the gut. I had so much regret. Anyways, moving on. Her husband has been portrayed by people in our ward and neighborhood as a Mormon hater, anti-social, etc.-you name it. When his wife died, the bishop and RS pres. pretty much told us all to stay away from him. Well I wouldn't have it. I took some food in, and I will admit I was scared to death. What I found though was a man who was truly grieving and someone looking for a friend. He was so kind and receptive to me. Ever since then we wave in passing, chat here and there, and I really like him.
When it came time to do our neighbor gifts, I made sure to include him. My gift was nothing special as usual, but the email that he sent to me this morning meant so much...it was the best gift he could have given me. I had forgotten that we had included our email address on our Christmas letters, so at first I thought how in the world did he get our address, but then I remembered. I am not posting this to pat myself on the back, be boastful or prideful, but it just touched me so much, so I thought I would share. I left out names, but it reads:
Dear G.J. and Kandice,
Thank you for the holiday treat, the note, and for the picture of your wonderful family. Sounds like everything is going pretty good for you over there a hundred feet away. I'm doing pretty good considering. I miss my dear " " (wife) very much! They say the searing pain goes away after a time. I want you guys to know that if you ever need my help in any way don't hesitate to ask. I don't get out and about the neighborhood much but am here as a good neighbor if you ever need me.
Stay safe and warm this winter.
Love-" "
I don't know about you, but that letter proves that he isn't a recluse and Mormon hater...So even though our small gifts that we delivered last night probably didn't mean much to most, it did mean something to him, and that makes the giving part of Christmas and all the stress it brings worth it in every way.
Have a great day-and more importantly, have a great time giving to your friends and family this wonderful time of year-such great blessings come because of it!
16 comments:
Kandice, you need to let the bishop and RS pres know, they need to reach out more esp to him and at this time, his first christmas without his dear wife. That was very sweet. I am making cupcakes tomorrow to give to all our neighbors. YEah, I wont be eating them all myself. hehe
I am lucky I have such giving wife. More importantly, I am lucky she is on the ball and gets these things done for us. I love giving and have always had the desire to give to others especially if they need it. I just wished I had mounds of cash so that I could help others with some of their needs. I guess something is better than nothing as this email proved for us. Thanks for being such a wonderful wife. Loves.
Kandice,
Thank you so much for sharing this. It is truly what Christmas should be about. It's so easy to forget the true meaning of Christmas, when we are so busy running around trying to get everything done. This story really touched me, and it is plain to see your friendship has really touched this man!
I love this experience. I had a similar one last night. I made treats to take to the families in the neighborhood and also included those families that I have never even spoken to. I found it very interesting that the man that seemed the most appreciative and verbally greatful I have never spoken to. Just goes to show, you really can't judge a book by its cover. Oh yeah, I am currently eating some super yummy red-hot popcorn. It is a huge hit at our house. Thanks!!!
And you doing this is something that could change any negative opinions he may have had about Mormons. Ignoring him certainly wouldn't have done anything. Way to be in tune, and to be an amazing example. I hate it when people just get written off like that.
Wow!! That story brought tears to my eyes. THat was so thoughtful of you but also so extremely thoughtful of him to email you. So sweet. It made your Christmas all that much better. I love it.
That was very sweet and thoughtful to think of him, and I'm sure it meant so much to him... This really is such a special time of year, I just love it! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story with everyone. It brought tears to my eyes, mostly because my husband's grandma just passed away and this man sounds so much like grandpa! (except the mormon hater). It was just another little reminder that grandpa needs to have alittle more love even if he does seem kinda scary! This story is just another example of how wonderful of person you are and a great role model you are to your kids and everyone else.
I wish you and your family a happy holiday and a great new year, again thank you for all you stories your such a great example to me.
I really am tearing as well. You did the right thing by not ignoring him. He will never forget you and the time you brought over a treat and a Christmas card at a time when he needed it most. You derved that email response. You and GJ are great people and you truly would do anything for anyone. (hence the text i sent you the other day) Thanks for chosing to be my friend, you make me want to be a better person everytime I am around you and with every conversation we have.
P.S I love you
That is such a sweet story. You never know what you can do until you do it and you proved that. You are such a great example to many. Hope you have a great Christmas.
Thank you so much for sharing that story Kandice, what an amazing example you are! I love the Christmas Season!
Thank you so much for sharing Kandice! What a great reminder of what we can do for each other if we are just willing to step out of our comfort zone. What an awesome example! Thank you for your friendship!
That is such a cute story. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
By small and simple things...
What a touching story! That one is Ensign worthy for sure!
You are such a great and giving person and I admire you for that!
Merry Christmas!!
That is so sweet. My heart hurts for that man! How sad that people have the wrong impression of such a nice person. I hope your bishop & RS president and the rest of the ward can learn from your example and reach out to him. I'm glad you are so sweet and were willing to give to him even if others won't.
Post a Comment