
On this day seven years ago, I was sound asleep when I received one of the most horrific phone calls of my life. It was from my mom telling me about the 9-11 attacks. At the time we were living in a little apartment getting ready to move into our first house. Everything, including T.V.’s were packed away-getting ready to move into our new house the next day. The first thing I did was to call G.J., who was working for Coke at the time. He delivered to all sorts of places and he said everything pretty much stopped in its place as he gathered around whatever T.V. he could. I went and picked my sleeping almost 1 year old Hallie out of her crib, turned on the radio, and just sobbed as I rocked her and listened to the events unfold. I was so worried, and the fear of the unknown over took me.
I then received another phone call from my mom, who was now crying because another plane had crashed, less than an hour away from where my brother was serving a mission. He was supposed to come home the next day. So I left my T.V.-less house and went to be with my mom.
So how did this affect me even further? Well, after a phone call to my brother’s mission president, and after realizing that there would be no flights for a few weeks, my parents hopped in their car and drove clear across the country to get my brother from his mission. My mom said she had watched him serve a faithful 2 year mission, and that she had planned for some time that Sept. 12th would be the day he would be in her arms again, and that wasn’t going to change, so off they went.
I got a call from the bank and realtor, saying that the funding for our house might take a few extra days, because of the 9-11 crisis. Of course, I will admit I was frustrated about that, but I only had to sit in front of a T.V. for 1 minute to see the horrific event unfold even further and be so grateful that I had everyone I cared and loved right around me. (Including my brother who had made the trek back across the country to home)
Looking back, I still can’t believe that happened. But, I do know that it was part of the Lord’s plan, as strange and cruel as it may seem. It was another sign of the times, and should have given us all reason to want to live better lives.
It is so easy to forget. It might not be easy for the thousands of innocent wives, husband, children, and parents who lost someone special. But as I sit back reflecting today….getting a little emotional (which I rarely do) I realize that things like this are going to happen more and more before the savior comes again, and I need to be ready. Ready in every way, and I need to try a lot harder in so many areas to get that way.
One side note, my good friend Jessica had a baby 5 years ago on 9-11. When she called to tell me, I just rudely blurted out, “you don’t want her to have this birthday.” She was so calm and confident and said that they thought it was actually a special birthday, and that she would always teach her sweet little girl about it. Isn’t that a great attitude?
So….happy 9/11/2008!-make it a great day
9 comments:
I remember the day it happened as well, I was working in the cellularone booth in Walmart, and they played live feed on the T.V.s that are all over the store. It did seem like time stopped. I couldn't believe it was happening, the store was so empty, and the people who were there walked through stopping at every tv to watch... The months following were an amazing time to see the country pull together, everyone displaying flags everwhere, on cars, houses, clothes etc. Thank you for this post to help us all remember.
On a side note, I would love your handout from the enrichment you did!!!
Oh do I remember that day. I don't think we can ever forget the fallen ones. Thank you for sharing your story of that day.
It was such a sad, scary day! I also remember every detail of how the day played out and the shock you feel just staring at the TV in disbelief.
Thanks for your sweet words in your email, and thanks for sharing your experiences as well. You really made me feel better.
P.S. Your little Gavin looks adorable in his new glasses!
Today is my parents 28th anniversary, so we make it a happy day. I had no idea your parents drove to pick up Kris wow. I hope you have a wonderful day!
I don't think anyone will forget how they felt that day. Thank you for sharing.
I remember how scary that day was and even the next couple of days. It has changed our lives forever. I believe too that it really was a blessing in disguise. We were needing to be reminded about how great this country is that we live in! Thanks for sharing your experiences on your blog. And I too agree that it is the best therapy I could ever ask for.
I remember that day like it was yesterday and I still get very shocked up thinking about it all. As I walked across the street to pick up Taylor today, I noticed the school had their flag as half staff. It made me sad for a sec, and then decided it was a way to remember the lives of those we lost, and that we should remember them. ( i kind of made it sound like I knew someone who was there, I didn't)
It was fun chatting with you and the girls this morning. Miss you tons.
I think its interesting to hear people's stories of where they were, what they were doing at that exact time... thanks for sharing your experience. My hubby was in Taiwan on his mission, and a random person said, "Are you Americans?" and they said they were and he pulled them in his house and showed the news... We are so blessed to have people fighting for our freedom. Hope all is well!
I was asleep when it was going on and got up to go my sister's new place to let the cable guy in since she was out of town. I was so out of it the cable guy was saying things like "Man it's crazy what's going on" I had no clue what he was talking about until an hour later when Dawn called me to turn on the TV. I just sat on the couch in disbelief.
Do you remember the press release that popped up during general conference later that october? Man I can't believe that was seven years ago.
Post a Comment