The time has finally come to potty train Kayler, and I have been dreading this day since the day he was born. Let me give you a little of my potty training history-such a vivid and I'm sure very interesting topic to all my readers.
Hallie was potty trained at 20 months-not by my choice. She had kidney problems, and one Dr. suggested that potty training her would alleviate the problems. Well, it did! BUT-despite her maturity and what a smart good little girl she was at that age, it was still SUCH hard work with many tears shed on both our parts.
Gavin didn't talk much, and showed NO interest in potty training. I waited until 2.5 years, and surprisingly, he did very well. Of course the few accidents, crying, pulling your hair out...(on my part) went on, but as I look back, he did very well.
Let describe my method that I "used" to do with potty training-which of course is actually Parent training for the first few weeks to be persistent and not give up:
Step 1: take them to the store they get to choose the following items: a potty seat (the ones that fit on a regular toilet) a step stool, a few packs of underwear, 2 or 3 new books and toys, and 2 or 3 treats.
Step 2: Bring them home and set it all up VERY excitedly....hoping nobody is watching how silly and fake I am being.
Step 3: Throw away ALL diapers....NO GOING BACK. I was a hard core cold turkey kind of potty training gal- But, if you go back and forth between diapers, pull-ups, underwear, it is VERY confusing to the poor little tikes.
Step 4: put on their new underwear-hide away their treats and books
Step 5: Every hour we went to their new "potty" place. We would sit on the potty, read a book play with a toy etc...just make it fun. If they go-we have a "potty party" and they get a treat, sticker, small toy, etc.
Step 6: When an accident happens. I would have to ask them, "where does pee or poop go?" They would sadly reply, "in the toilet." Then we would take their pooped or peed undies and clean them out (together) and start alllllllll over again.
Step 7: Usually after a few days, they were so excited about the treat or book or whatever that they would just hurry and potty or poop so they could get the reward, and then WA-LAH, it had clicked, and we were good to go, except for the few occasional accidents that happened in the months (even years) after.
And by the way-I did not make this up all on my own. It is what I came up with after reading many books, attending workshops at PT4K, trial and error, etc.
Ok, now speed forward 3 full years since I have done this potty training thing to my sweet Kayler, who is MUCH different than either Hallie or Gavin. I know some reading might think I am crazy for starting to train him, since I am having difficulties with him in other areas but>>> He goes on demand in the toilet, tells me when he has to go, takes his diaper off to go...except he goes just wherever he might be, and he now thinks getting his diaper changed is "gross" Since he is a different boy, here is going to be my method.
Step 1: Get rid of regular diapers-bye bye my beloved Huggies. :(

Step 2: try Pull-ups for awhile. I will still remind him once an hour to go, but at least if he has an accident, it means less hell for me to go through cleaning it up all the time.

Step 3: The ultimate goal

SO, I might not be blogging near as often these next few weeks as we figure this out. I am actually very sad to have to take this step with him. This means that he really won't be my baby anymore since he can feed himself, bath almost by himself, dress himself (sort of...lol), and go potty in the big toilet. But at the end of the day, no matter where he "empties out"- He will always be my baby boy. (told you it would be a graphic post!!!) Have a great day!
13 comments:
Good luck with that!! I have been thinking about training Kenna but I don't feel like I am ready for the hard work it will take yet. Besides, she might regress after the baby is born.:( Hope you have a lot of success and not much hell!
I don't envy you at all. I absolutely hate potty training, especially after my youngest. Man was she hard. Just think you won't have any diapers to change after he is potty trained.
Your nephew is so cute! That is so exciting for you to have him so close. I wish my family lived closer. Hope you have a great day and best of luck with the potty training.
I tired Kimber the beg of Sept, she wasnt ready and I am not into training me. hehe I am scatter brained. B was so easy, I just told him no more diapers. But he was 2 years 9 months.
Sounds like you have it all under control. I got a lot of ideas for poyy training Noah from your post so thank you! You are a good mom, I can tell. It is weird that I feel like we have been friends forever.
Good Luck
I totoally didn't read that before I sent it. Oops. I meant I got a lot of ideas for "potty" training Noah. OOPS
I need to be doing the same thing as you. Emmy plays in hers. I bought a potty and she went once, but she won't go. She kept holding it and got an infection. Silly kid. So I'm waiting. Let us know how it goes!!
I am so excited for Kay-Kay. Tell him Babbie is cheering him on!!!
There is nothing like never having to buy diapers again. (We went 10 straight with kids in diapers.) It is a sad step in life BUT a happy one at the same time.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Good luck!!
Let me tell you I know how you feel. I just potty trained Kenna. She is doing pretty well, except pooping. Any tricks for getting them to poop in the toilet?
Good luck with Kayler.
I hope it goes as well this time as the other two times! How cool is that that you are FINISHED with diapers forever? (Assuming things go well).
So with your other two, what did you do at nighttime while they were first starting? Did you even have them wear regular underwear at night? I am thinking about starting with Nevie once we get into a better daily routine.
Oh what a big boy, I hope you don't pull to manu hair's out... oh well I guess you could lose several and still have a full head... LOL- I will shut up now
Ahh the joys I have to look forward too!! lol! Thanks for the tips I'm sure I'll be checking back on your blog for reminders of the steps!! They are great ideas!
Post a Comment