Monday, September 8, 2008

I failed...my poor little girl




I am the worst mother ever. I feel so bad. Hallie has had a loose tooth FOREVER, and Sunday morning, I convinced her to let me pull it out. After much bribing, I had G.J. hold the VERY loose tooth still and then I tied a sting and pulled it out in one tiny yank.

That was in the morning. She talked about it all day and showed everyone etc. I put her to bed with her super cute new tooth fairy pillow. And then I fell asleep….

I woke up to do her hair and she was very quiet. She then turned to me with tears in her eyes and said, “She forgot.” I was thinking, who forgot what??? Then it struck me with such a pain in my gut and I felt SO bad. I told her that I would run upstairs and “ask daddy” if he had seen the tooth fairy around. I really didn’t do that, I took some money and put it in her back pack.

I went back downstairs and finished doing her hair for school. She just said, “I looked EVERYWHERE, and there was nothing.” I asked if she looked in her shoes, under her bed….just egging her on a little more. Then I let her know that her tooth fairy would never forget her, and that we would find it somewhere. G.J. told her that maybe her tooth fairy didn’t work on Sundays…

Well, low and behold, when she went to put her backpack on she happily found the money. She told the kids at the bus stop all about the story and they just stared at her like….ummm OK…hehe.

Well, my guilt was SO bad about forgetting. I have just had a LOT on my plate lately and it just slipped my mind. So, I typed up a fancy letter to her, explaining that she did NOT work on Sundays, and that she had to set out very early Monday morning to deliver money to all the kids that had lost teeth. By the time she got to our house, Hallie was already awake, so she just had to leave it in her backpack. I sprinkled the letter with sparkles….very authentic of me right??? Then I put a stamp on it and showed Hallie her “mail” when she got home. She said, “Well, that explains EVERYTHING! I am sure glad that my tooth fairy doesn’t work on Sunday-just like us.”

All was well until later tonight she took me aside and said, “Mom, are you my tooth fairy?” I of course lied, which for a brief moment I really wanted to just tell her the truth. She is only 7 almost 8, and I just want the magic of it all to last a little longer.

I also told her in her letter to put her tooth under her pillow again tonight and maybe the tooth fairy would visit her with a “special surprise” So she was so excited about that. When I reminded her about it tonight, and she looked at me and said, “I do believe in fairies, I really do!”

So, I left her a pack of really fun gum, and 4 quarters to use at the pencil/eraser machines at school. I hope I NEVER let this happen again. Please share stories if you have done this yourself, or had it done to you. It will make me feel like much less of a failure.

14 comments:

Lucky Me said...

I have not done it just once, but twice that I can remember. I have made it kind of hard on myself because the tooth fairy brings a gold dollar. I have not been the best at keeping them "in stock". Like once when we were camping I missed the first night and then had to settle for a large silver dollar my sister-in-law had. I have done just like you did non another instance and snuck down to his room and "planted" the tooth box like it had slipped down the side of the bed. Neither of the experiences have soured him on the whole thing. Kids will believe if they want to.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I am the worst mom cause if Taylor ask's me if I am the tooth fairy, i will say yes.. And not feel bad about it. It is just alot of work, I alos think the Easter Bunny thing is lame, I think once I told Taylor it wasn't real and then I hurrid and said Just Kidding. I am horrible. I am ready for her to know about Santa too. I am just Lazy I guess.

Leisa said...

Oh yes!! I have forgotten too, more than once. The last time was with Makayla, she has a tooth fairly pillow also. In the morning it was empty. She climbed in bed with me and told me the tooth fairy forgot about her. I felt bad too, but tried to sneak some money in the pillow later but got caught red-handed! What do you do? I tried to make excuses but she didn't buy any of it. So I guess the tooth fairy is history at our house now, although Makayla still gets money in her little pillow for a lost tooth. She is not ready to give that up yet! :)

Jesenia said...

Your too cute, I know I will forget things. I am glad she still believes. Well good luck with everything. Talk to you soon!!

The McClellan Clan said...

I have not had to face that yet!!! But I do know that that is the cutest story. I couldn't help but laugh and feel bad all at the same time. And just picture, cute Hallie's face through it all. You did a good cover up. I'm really proud of you!!!!

Whit said...

I think you recovered very nicely! Good job! I don't know if I would have thought to do all of that. It's nice for them to have something magical to believe in!

Nathan and Shanna said...

That was a dang cute story. I have forgotten once or twice and we just lamely told them that the tooth fairy must have been to busy and didn't make it to our house. My 10 year old told us that he didn't believe in the tooth fairy, but he was going to put his tooth under his pillow anyway...well I told him that if you don't believe in the tooth fairy she or he won't leave any money. So we wrote him a note saying that exact same thing. How mean is that? But the next time he lost his tooth he promptly told us that he changed his mind there really is a tooth fairy. Funny huh?!

Mike Alexis & Grayson said...

You covered that well! I love the letter idea and explaining that she doesn't work on Sundays...how thoughtful! Nice work! I'll have to remember this so when I forget (cause I'm sure I will) I'll use your idea :) So cute! Don't worry about forgetting...I think it's a mom thing :)

Candace and Brian said...

Oh.....I'm so sorry you forgot and felt the guilt but seriously you are ONE DARN CUTE MOM! Who would think to tell her she doesn't work on Sundays and write a letter and sprinkle it. You are amazing and don't beat yourself up.

Kelli said...

I cant tell you how many blogs I have read of parents who forgot. Your not alone. One of my personal friends did it twice on the same tooth. hehe

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

Been there done that! I think we as moms are so busy and get so tired that sometimes it just slips our mind. Don't feel too bad. Great cover up.

Anonymous said...

That's the cutest story ever! I can't wait for stuff like that!

Michele and Wyatt said...

The tooth fairy forgot to come to our house once too. Kamryn had just moved downstairs from his room upstairs. We told him that maybe the tooth fairy didn't know were his new room was. So the next night he wrote a note and taped it to the door of his old room, telling the tooth fairy that his room had moved downstairs. Thankfully the tooth fairy found him that night. I wasn't near as creative as you. I also have done the, "you must have slept so crazy that it fell on the floor" trick, and then I magically find his money on the floor next to his bed. I think I've used the "She doesn't work on Sundays" trick too. I'm not very good with the tooth fairy thing.

Ramanda said...

Phew!!! I thought I was the only mom that forgot that I was the Tooth Fairy!!! Unfortunately I have forgotten more times than I would like to admit! I have used every excuse in the book like it is the sabbath, there is a waiting list, "it wasn't clean enough to shine like a star, so brush it really good and I am sure she will come tonight." Desperate time call for desperate measures! For some reason I like to keep them and put them in the back of my underwear drawer along with the letters of disappointment. Well they found my stash! I just told them that the TF and I have a contract where I get to keep them ha ha!
Oh and wait until they start comparing what they get with their friends! We should get an award for quick thinking and great acting skills!!!