Saturday, July 5, 2008

We've had a death...

Well, I have experienced yet another pet tragedy. Hallie’s dog Dexter died last Wednesday. My mother-in-law accidentally ran over him at the Basin (a camping spot near our ranch on Diamond Mountain). She is devastated about it, and I feel so bad for her. She just cried and cried when she told me. It was truly an accident, and I hope she knows that we are not mad at all, and that it will be o.k.
Dexter has been on “vacation” at the ranch with my mother and father in law for about 2 weeks. They wanted him to scare off the deer. Unfortunately, he was scared of every moving thing…from butterflies to bed sheets hanging out to dry, he was a wimp. We went up and saw him last Saturday. We bathed him, played with him, and he was the happiest I have ever seen him. He loved George and Rosanne (my in-laws) He followed them everywhere with a big smile on his face. They spoiled him with treats, leftovers, toys, and love. He loved it at our house, but he really really loved up there on the wide open ranch and basin. He was such a good dog, and even though he was a lot of work (the poop, food, water, training, etc) you just couldn’t help but to get attached to him. I really enjoyed taking him to obedience school and having him always be the smartest/best dog there. He always loved me best, even when nobody else did. I will really miss him.

Hallie was pretty sad. She cried for quite awhile and just moped around and rode her bike all alone while we were camping at our family reunion. For the family reunion I had made a poster about our family. It had a little picture of Dexter on it. I ripped it off before she could see it, but she found the picture in the trash. I found her one afternoon in the forest just sitting and looking at the little picture. It was so sad. Luckily, she is young and bounces back quickly. She hasn’t said much about it today, so we will see.

This is the worst part about having pets. I did a post awhile back about all my pets and their tragic deaths., read if you would like http://mylittlefamilyof5.blogspot.com/2007/11/day-about-my-pets.html I will have to add this one to the list…

And NO, we do NOT want another dog...we have already had several offers. Thanks but no thanks.

4 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

oh my heck, that is just to sad!

Mandy said...

OHHHHH NOOOOO!!!!!

I am so sorry! I know how attached you were to him. He was such a good dog. Amd poor Roseann!! Dangit.

I sure have missed you! Love ya!

Briana said...

I am so sorry! That is sad and such a cute dog.

Kelli said...

I am just getting caught up on all the posts I have missed. I am sorry for your family and the doggy loss.