
So it has been awhile since I did an update on my little Kay-Kay. Things have been going ok. He meets with an occupational therapist once a month. He meets with his early intervention service coordinator once a month. He also goes to a group therapy/playgroup once a week. Along with what we work on at home, he is getting a lot of help.
He is talking SO much more, and that helps things immensely. It really lessens the tantrums that he throws. He is still doing the biting/hitting thing, but so far it hasn’t happened at church for a couple weeks, just at home.
He has done extremely well at home in other ways, almost to the point that I feel like there is nothing wrong. That is until I have days like today. Today was his group class, and it went HORRIBLE…. I mean it was a sight, it was so horrendous. I was a sweaty mess by the time we left. I even had someone ask, “What is wrong with him.” I had decided that I was not going to tell them, but I finally just gave a few details and left it at that. At least they will know that he is not a complete brat and that I not am a dead beat mom. He screamed literally bloody murder the whole class. I would just leave, but he understands that if he screams, I will go, and that is not helping him learn cope with being around other people.
I have read as much as I can about Asperger's Syndrome-and learned a lot. My friend Stephanie said that on Grey's Anatomy last week they even had a Dr. who had it. Ever since a few people from Hollywood have had their own children get Autism, it has become much more accepted, studied, and that helps a ton. From what I read, Aspergers's goes hand in hand with High Functioning Autism, even though they are a separate diagnosis. He has his second opinion appt. in SL on the 8th. We will see how that goes. I am curious to see if they will say Aspergers's or High Functioning Autism, or maybe that he has nothing. We will just see. I am not telling them that he has already been diagnosed, I want a complete evaluation just based on the facts, and not what other Dr.'s have said.
I am really nervous for Thanksgiving. We are going with G.J.’s family to Daniels Summit. We are staying the night there Wed. night, and then they have a big, huge Thanksgiving buffet on Thursday. I can pretty much plan on it not being pleasant, but we will try our hardest-I need to stay positive. G.J.’s family is really good to help, so I need to get over my pride and let them help me. I am actually excited to go now that I think about it, just a little nervous.
Anyways, other than that, things are going well. My visiting teacher told me something so sweet the other day, and I have really put it to heart. I told her that people kept telling me how lucky I was to be blessed with such a special little boy. Although I agree 100%, and I know for a fact that things could be SO much worse, it is still hard. She said to me, “It is o.k. to not want to be the lucky one, it is o.k. to cry, and it is o.k. to be mad…..as long as you thank the lord for and good, that is all that matters.” She used to be a PA (kind of like a Dr.) She is also one of the most spiritually rounded people who has dealt with a LOT in her life. For her to say that to me, it meant more than she will ever know.
Have a great day!
5 comments:
Sorry your day went that way. But its good you stuck it out so he does know your not leaving if he throws a fit. I totally understand the sweaty mess by the end. hehe. I pray for a nice relaxing fun thanksgiving for you.
Wow that truly is good advice, she is so right. Just because it's true doesn't make the situation any easier. And it doesn't give you any answers to get through it either. So much easier said than done. Hang in there!!
Kandice, you are such an amazing mom! I absolutely love the picture of Kayler! I think you are doing a great job! Keep it up!
I have a really good friend with a son who has the same diagnosis as Kayler he is now 13 and is a super fun kid he loves sports and is really good at baseball and music. Music therapy was recomended to her by multiple doctors. if you ever want to talk to her I can give you her number she is amazing with him and would have alot of great advice. it is good that we have all had children with different struggles and that we can all learn from eachother and help eachother too. I know that when I have had struggles with my own it is just good to have someone else that understands. plus you have alot of family support and people willing to help.
I have missed a lot on your blog lately. I think it is a great idea to go to the appt. and not tell them about the previous diagnosis. I hope they say that nothing is wrong. You are a good mom.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment