We got our Christmas Lights up, did work around the house, ran errands, played the new Guitar Hero World Tour on the Wii, Hallie and Gavin spent time with Grandma and Pa Searle, and I fit in a little pre-thanksgiving dinner with my great-aunt Venna.
Venna is my grandma's sister. She got kicked by a horse as a child, and as a result has been somewhat handicapped and suffered seizures her whole life. She has been in the care center for several years. My grandparents have been her sole caretakers her whole life, besides a brief marriage that she had when she was in her 60's. She has no children, and her husband who passed away has no children who care for her. That pretty much leaves our family. Since my grandparents have been so sick, they can't do much to help or visit her anymore. My mom and aunts take on that role the vast majority of the time.
Every year the care center puts on a nice meal for the residents and their families. My mom was going to be out of town, and nobody else wanted to go. I just brushed it aside, until last night. I lay there thinking of everyone else at the care center having their families coming and taking them to the dinner, and poor Venna sitting all alone. It absolutely broke my heart to think of that. I do know that she doesn't understand a lot, and that she is a LOT to handle. She is very physical, mean, and quite rotten to put it truthfully. She has thrown her false teeth so many times they are permanently taken away. That is just a small fraction of the things that she does….I won’t even elaborate.
Well, she was happy to see me, and she did remember me surprisingly. She was waiting at the door with her hair done nicely, and a pretty sweater on. The meal was delicious-honestly-it was. There were others taking pictures, and I saw her watching them. I only had my cell phone, but I snapped a few pictures-she thought it was great-even if she didn't smile!


I had to feed her every bite. She was absolutely hilarious. If I wasn't doing it fast enough, she would wait until I wasn't looking and then hurry and sneak a piece of food, or a drink. Then she would chew it really really fast and spit it on the floor. More than that, she saw a little decoration on the table that she wanted SO bad. It was a little bag with some thanksgiving snack mix. Well before I knew it she had snuck it under her sweater...lol. She wanted dinner to be over right then, and she had me take her to her room so she could hide her snack. She talked to me for a minute, but then she was tired. She waved at me happily as I left, and it seriously made my day more than it probably made hers.
So even though I am dead tired, I really love days like this. I am SO looking forward to Thanksgiving. I really think that Thanksgiving day is my favorite holiday, because it is a day to be thankful for the wonderful life I have, and better yet a day to kick-off my other favorite holiday-Christmas!
13 comments:
I remember Venna from my parent's ward. I also remember when she was married to Art. I am sure that it meant more to her than you'll ever know that you went. Also, about Kayler... I know what you mean about people telling you that you are blessed. Believe me. I have heard everything concerning McKay's little arm. We've had both the good and the bad, but I have to agree with your friend that it is ok to realize that his life (and yours) is going to be different from what you expected it to be. The Lord understands that it is a challenge and that it is not always easy (especially when he is having a hard time, like in group) to look at him and say "I am so lucky." He really does understand that. With McKay, I have found that a lot people just say what's on their mind. That's okay too. Most importantly, I have found that even though I get upset and even cry when a little kid (or even an adult) says something about McKay, I know that Heavenly Father is aware of that pain. He doesn't expect me to take that situation and say, "Boy, I am so lucky to have McKay. I shouldn't feel a thing when something is said about him." He knows it hurts. But, I think that he also knows that those are the times that we can turn to him for comfort and help in dealing with those situations. I know our situations aren't exactly the same, and I am not trying to say that they are. I am just saying that I know how hard it is to hear what everyone has to say and feel guilty because sometimes, that's NOT the way I look at it. Kristen
Kandice-
Aunt Venna is so hard to take sometimes but it is still so nice when we go visit my mom and i try to go every sunday and see her. Though she rarely knows we are there or even remembers us at times it is still fun to go see her. Your family does so much for her and i know that she appreciates that1
isn't that what not just the Holiday season but what life is all about? Service... even if it is for someone who is a bit ornery at times. Service helps us grow as indiviuals and I can't imagine how happy our little (or giant in your case) spirits must be when we are giving our time for someone else.
Hey I know your Aunt Venna well maybe not "know her" but I remember seeing her when I use to go see my Grandma Olsen. That's nice of you to go see her.
You are so sweet to go see your aunt. When I worked at the care center, it just broke my heart to see the people who didn't get visitors--especially for things where everyone had visitors at once. I'm glad your aunt didn't have to be one who was left alone! It is so sad to see what happens to people as they age--I hope I have nice relatives like you when I get old!
Hey Kandice!! Reading you post made me miss when I worked at the care center. You guys are so sweet to go see and take care of her. I haven't been there to see her since my grandpa died. Your family will be blessed for what you do.
My heart also goes out to you guys for Kayler. I have seen what Brooke has gone through with Madi. It is hard, but now that you know you can find the help to get you through those times when he is acting out. Brooke has taken Madi to different doctors and various therapies and it has helped them both tramendously. Everything will be okay, it may be hard, but you and G.J. are strong. Know that you are in my prayers and thoughts.
Kassi
Ha ha ha ha she sounds so funny!!! That was very sweet of you to do that for her and go visit her!
what a sweet post. Your such a sweet person. AND again, wow at how much you get done in a day. I think I am just old and tired.
You are a sweet person and I'm sure she really appreciates you coming to see her. It breaks my heart to think of the ones left alone, with no family coming to visit. How sad they must feel!
I finally am checking out your blog! It is so cute, I'm glad I can check in on you every now and then... Happy Thanksgiving!
It is good to see that unlike some of us you are not caught up in the daily grind of life and can take time out of life and just be. I keep hoping that life will give me a minute to do something like that Venna has a special spot in all of our hearts. good job...
Good job. That is what the true meaning of Service is all about. What a great memory to share.
I love that you are willing to take time out to serve others. I love visiting with old people but now that I don't have any more living grandparents I really miss talking with them. Even with Venna not comprehending everything I know she really appreciated you being there.
Post a Comment