Sunday, November 16, 2008

A few thoughts...

I thought I better capture a few thoughts while I am “in the moment” so to speak. I just got back from ward choir. I am a slacker on choir, and I am what you call the Christmas only choir member. I just love the Christmas songs. This year we are doing a beautiful Thanksgiving one as well for next week, and I am so glad about that, because I hate how the rest of the world skips over Thanksgiving. Our choir director is amazing. She chooses the most unique not to mention beautiful songs. I had my first feelings of the true Christmas spirit that I crave all year round today. It made me get a little choked up, and more than anything, extremely grateful.
I have been so worried lately. I think half of it comes from our new president. I have to pray very hard that he will lead our country to good, and if not, I have to have the faith that we will be o.k.-even if the rest of the world crumbles. I think two-fold that are my worries about the direct attacks on our church. The proposition 8 protest clouds the news and lingers in my mind a lot. I guess I have always known that the rest of the world does not understand our religion, and judge us very unfairly. This is just another VERY public display of that hatred, and it makes me feel so bad. Along with that, I was watching the news the other night, and the holocaust survivors held a HUGE press conference, broadcasted it all over the world, and targeted our church directly for “unlawfully” doing baptisms for the dead for their ancestors. We have not done this for years of course after they asked us not to. They even sent church representatives before the big press conference to prove it, but they would not believe it.
These things, I truly feel, are just the tip of the iceberg. We are going to be put down even more, struggle even harder to prove ourselves, and I can’t even let my mind wander to imagine what will happen in these last days. I will admit, which I am ashamed to, that I am scared. It has been said that if you are prepared in every needful way, you need not fear. My food storage is just right in the middle, not enough, yet we aren’t necessarily lacking. I feel that my faith is the same way. I have a lot of work to do so I can truly not be afraid of what is to come. I need to be the strong one, along with G.J., so my sweet little children will never have to feel the fear that may come. Of course I may be getting ahead of myself. I know that there is still plenty of time. It is just the concept of not procrastinating, and truly becoming prepared.
Until then, I think I have to choose to not watch the news. It is just too hard. I love this gospel with all my heart. I truly do. I am so grateful for this time of year, especially Christmas music. It just makes everything else melt away. I hope everyone’s Sunday is great!

7 comments:

Leisa said...

Beautifully said. I feel the same way about the world we live in. We know that it is only going to get worse before it gets better. But then I have to stop and remind myself that Heavenly Father is the one in charge. That helps put it in better perspective, but it doesn't always make it easier. It is nice to know there are others who feel the same as me about this world!

Candace and Brian said...

My sister and I just had a long conversation the other night about that same fact. We were just discussing how we feel that we will be a lot like the pioneers and persecuted for our faith. We discussed how we might not be driven out but we will need that same strong faith they had and hold true to our beliefs and what we have been taught. I too have been scared but then again I just keep thinking back to conference. The watchmen on the tower weren't scared. They told us to enjoy every moment and not to forget to laugh. I truly beleive that we have the truth and for that reason we still should be and always will be the happiest people on the earth. See you in an hour!

Robert, Melanie and fam said...

We had a really great lesson a few weeks ago in Sunday school. Our teacher gave us a little laminated scripture and told us to take as many as we wanted and hang them up where ever we wanted. The scriptures is 2 Tim 1:7-8 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord..." We have this hanging up all over our house. It has been really comforting and helpful especially with all these new attacks on our religion. First off I think these attacks are ridiculous! I heard about what was going on in California and it just doesn't seem right how they are just attacking one religion but then I guess what can we expect with this being the only true church. Just like in Joseph Smith's day's Satan hasn't given up on trying to destruct the only true church of God. This to me is a huge testimony builder and my faith grows. Just don't be afraid. Always remember where fear comes and it's not from our Heavenly Father.

Danielle Hacking said...

We recently got the "basic 5" channels, and we've been watching the news A LOT. I've noticed that we are definitely more informed, but I'm also so worried all the time now too... it just weighs me down. We have resolved to not watch nearly as much, maybe just for 15 minutes before bedtime. Its hard to not worry and get caught up in the terrible things going on, but we are lucky, we have the gospel, and God loves us. You are a great example of faith!

Kelli said...

I feel the same way you do. Next sunday is our stake conf and Russel Nelson will be the general athority visiting so they are planning on picketters. So sad. I am even scared that on one hand we need to be there to listen to a GA, but on the other hand, I dont go to places where there might be violence (where we could be hurt esp with my children there) like new years eve type gatherings ect or after 911, when they said there might be hits on malls over that Oct, we didnt go, so this is so against what I believe or how I have tried to protect my family, by not going where there "might" be an attack. But its church for pete sakes. SO completely sad.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I always feel so out of the loop because for a while now (a year or so) I have decided to not watch the news. To much sad and bad and mad things in the world, I wish there was a channel that only reported the good things, I would tune into that one.

Janice {Run Far} said...

P.S... I really miss you.