Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Weigh in Wednesday, along with an Explanation

I debated about doing my weigh in Wednesdays, but I decided it motivates me more. So the people who want to read it can, and those who don’t are free to pass.

I lost 1 pound at the weigh in last night. That is good I guess. My weight fluctuated a little in between classes, so that makes my total of weight lost still at 10 pounds with 15 pounds to go. I re-evaluated my goal, and I would like to lose 15, but losing 10 would be OK too.

I also debated about posting about this, but it plays a HUGE role in my weight loss, and it has been something I have been dealing with for over a year now, and I have never mentioned it on here. I have been having some weird symptoms the past year. I am really hot all the time. I never wear a coat in the winter. My hair falls out. I am SUPER hungry all the time…like more than usual. My heart seems to beat fast. I am tired a lot. I get headaches. My eyes are really dry. The whole weight loss has been a big issue. That is just a few of the symptoms. Now I admit looking at those symptoms that any Dr. would think I was crazy if I went to talk to them about it. I finally got brave last summer and went and talked to a Dr. He just blew me off. So I figured I was a crazy person…and just tried really really hard to ignore it all. So in the fall, I had finally had it again, so I went to a different Dr. He told me that I was just depressed. I got home, looked at the Rx for an antidepressant and felt like crying. I was NOT depressed. Sure I felt a little hopeless that I was having all these weird things going on, and that nobody would listen to me. Soooo yet again, at my yearly checkup the beginning of the year I went to another Dr. He was convinced I was having hormonal issues, since I only have one ovary. He put me on a new kind of birth control pills. My body had never liked the pill before…but I figured I would give it a try. Well if I wasn’t miserable before, I sure was now. So I quit that too.

Lets fast forward to the end of March, and I had seriously had it. In my mind and heart I knew something was wrong, but how do you convince somebody that without seeming like a psycho hypochondriac. Well I felt like a case off that show “Mystery Diagnosis.” I went to new ob/gyn in Roosevelt, Dr. Williams. He was so kind and understanding. He was the very first Dr. of all the Dr.’s I had gone to that actually took the time to do blood work. The other Dr.’s just assumed I was crazy I guess and didn’t take the time to actually check my blood.

I guess I just convinced myself that everything would be normal, and I would have to suffer forever, but he called me last week, and told me that my thyroid level came back at 0…..a big fat 0. He was so sweet on the phone and told me that every single symptom I was having was very related to thyroid issues. He wanted me to get into an internal medicine Dr. ASAP, and yesterday was the day. I went to my other favorite Dr. over there, Dr. Staker. Mandy came along with me, since she is now unemployed ;) It was good to have some company. We had a delicious lunch at Marion’s complete with a fresh fruit shake. Then I waited FOREVER to see the Dr. but it was worth the wait. I had more blood work drawn, and then he will decide what to do next. He said the most probable course of action would be to destroy my thyroid…which makes me really really nervous, but we shall see. I will keep you posted.

I have every symptom of Hyperthyroidism, overactive thyroid, or Graves’ Disease. My aunt Pam had the same thing. My mom had Thyroiditis, and my Aunt Marsha had something with her thyroid too. So I guess it was in my blood to have problems. The ONLY symptom I don’t have is weight loss…just my luck. With Hypothyroidism, you gain weight, but I have Hyperthyroid…very confusing, but he explained it all to me. The Dr. said that sometimes your body gets very confused, and sometimes you will lose weight quickly…like the weeks I lost 5+ lbs. Then your body goes into shock, and tries to keep the weight on…It is all a big mess that I hope will be figured out shortly. I am ready to feel human again.

So, sorry for the huge boring explanation of why I am a little bit fatter than I would like to be! The kids had spring pictures at school, and I had to share. I love the different phases the kids are in. Hallie has a ton of missing teeth in her picture, Gavin has a snotty nose…lol, and Kayler for once had a perfect picture taking experience! So enjoy. I am SO looking forward to Spring Break. The main reason is to sleep in for 5 whole days! Hooray! I like to have time with my kids. I love love Easter. It is one of my favorite holidays. We have 0 plans…and the weather is supposed to be yucky, but oh well, we will enjoy our time at home all alone, just being together!



20 comments:

Hillary said...

Holy crap, I can't believe that. It's amazing how you just know when something isn't right with your body. So glad you were able to find a doctor who listened. Things like this need to be taken seriously, and I'm glad you're ok now. I hope the treatment works well for you. Keep us posted.

Jesenia said...

Thats crazy, as soon as I was reading your symtoms, I was thinking thyroid, it runs in my family too. I am glad that they are getting thing underway. Take care

Danielle Hacking said...

I bet you feel so relieved to have a start to your questions. I finally found a doctor that would take the time to order some blood work and talk to me, its a huge relief. I hope your tests reveal the problem. Your kids pictures are adorable, can't believe how fast they are growing up!

galleygrapevine said...

Im so glad that they are on the right track with your diagnosis. I hate it when you know something is wrong but they can't find anything. Good Luck!
BTW, Shae LOVES her new suit! Thanks for hooking us up!

Kristi said...

I am sorry to hear about your thyroid. I bet you are so relieved to finally know that something was wrong, that you won't have to feel that way forever! Hope everything goes well, and they can find a good solution. Hope you have a wonderful Easter :)

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Before I even got done reading the post I thought is was your thyroid, sounds like it. Drs can be such a pain when they won't listen to their patients. The pics are way cute-Kayler's is perfect. And I love the toothless grins-it is a cute stage. Such cute kids. It was fun to see you today.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I think I have told you before that my mom has Graves disease. I swear I do too. I think I should have some tests done. Someday.... I hope they figure things out for you and that you can get this crap under control... Let me know what they are going to do for you.

Brett and Diane said...

Wow and so sorry! It's funny you Mystery Diagnosis because I just finished watching an episode before I got on here and while reading your post I thought this sounds like Mystery Diagnosis and then you mentioned Mystery Diagnosis. Crazy. Sounds like you have found someone that can maybe offer some help and relief. I hope things get better. I love school pictures they are priceless. Kayler's picture is so adorable and picture perfect.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you really are super woman! What cute pictures of your kiddos!

Karlee said...

Wow! I can't belive what you've been through. It is no fun not feeling healthy! I would never have thought EVER that you need to lose any weight at all. You are super cute just they way you are! Glad you're getting some things figured out! You can tell when something just isn't right! Those pictures of your kiddos are really cute. I think each one is perfect. You have really beautiful kids! I am excited to see a little more of your blog. I just finished packing and am now waiting for my kids to wake up so we can leave for the weekend. Have a great (relaxing) Easter! We'll for sure have to start getting together lots! I am so excited! Darling BLOG! Can't wait to see some of your scrapbook stuff!

Kyndi said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with health issues, too...it's no fun. Hopefully your doc gets things figured out quickly!

Holy cuteness!! I love the pictures of all 3 of your darling kiddos!

Candace and Brian said...

I'm so glad you are getting things figured out and consider me a friend enough to involve me more than the blog. I had fun going with you today. Call me this weekend and we can hang out-like you said even in your basement. Talk to you later! P.S. I totally love the kids pictures. So cute!!!

Kelli said...

the kids are cute in their pics. HEY didnt you have some wierd issue with your blood thing when you feel down? I think your an interesting doctors patient. They should all be happy to work on you and learn new things. HEY maybe you even have something no one has invented yet. I dont mean that mean! just giving you hard time. I wish you were healthy or that I was as sick as you so I could do half of what you get done! Happy easter week!

Kassi Luck said...

When I was reading your post I wondered if it was your thyroid. My sister in law has this problem. I am so sorry but I am glad you now know and can get it under control. What an awful feeling to know something is wrong and no one will believe you.
You kids are so cute!! I didn't notice Gavin all snotty. lol!! Hope you enjoy your easter weekend!!

Lacy said...

Kandace, I've had the same thing happen with doctors. They've totaly dismissed me or chocked it up to being depressed.It's made me feel crazy. You've given me hope. I'm going to try Dr. Williams.


Your kids are absolutely adorable!

The McClellan Clan said...

my heck girl!! I dare you to be diagnosed with one more thing!! Come on jut try!! Seriously. You poor thing! seriously! I am SO sorry! And I thought I had problems!!

Mandy said...

thanks for the date. it was amazing, and probably the best meal i have had in a long time!!!

Brian, Nikki, and Nevie said...

I'm still so glad they figured out what's wrong! I knew you weren't crazy. (; But destroying your thyroid sounds scary! I'll keep you in my prayers for sure.

And the pictures are darling!! You have the cutest kids. (And I don't see any snot on Gavin's!)

Megan said...

Hi Kandice. As I was reading I was like "thyroid"... then I saw that was what it was. I should so be your doctor! Jory's brother has major hyperthyroid. He got down to like 120lbs at one point! He had some kind of radiation done. He gets really really tired, but is doing much better! Good luck girl! I'm sure its nice just knowing now.

Cassie said...

Oh, I am so sorry about all the health problems you have been experiencing. I am so glad you finally got it figured out, thank goodness you didn't give up and you went to see another doctor.
I hope things get better soon.
All your kids look darling in the pics.