Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Trip, A Play, and Gas

So with all these terrible 2 posts you will be happy to know that G.J. and I got a tiny break. I had a Dr. checkup in Salt Lake Tuesday morning. We left Gavin with Grandma Searle, and Hallie and Kayler with Grandma Stewart. We left at 2:30 p.m. It was so nice to have some adult conversation. We ate a yummy dinner at the Gateway. Then we shopped for awhile. I had totally planned on buying me some stuff, but I could not make myself do it. It is so much easier to buy stuff for my kids, but they don’t need anything. So we left the gateway with the food in our bellies and called it good. We decided we needed to stock up on a few things from Costco. We then headed to my brothers house, who was out of town. He had of course left it a mess and had turned the A/C off. It was 81 degrees and we were dying. So what did I do, I cleaned his house. (yes, I clean other people’s houses….its therapy for me) I noticed he had a lot of laundry, so I did that too. G.J. watched a movie while I scurried around. I finally looked at him and said now I definitely know I have adult ADD because I could not sit still for the movie. We had to sleep in his basement on a blow up mattress because it was too hot in the bedrooms upstairs. My appointment was at 8 a.m. We did that, left, ate breakfast in Park City, and arrived safely home to reunite with all 3 kids at 12 p.m.
It was such a needed getaway, even if it was for less than 24 hours. What I found funny, or a little annoying, was that I was so ready for a break from being a mommy, yet it only took like an hour of being gone for me to start missing and worrying about my kids. G.J. and I tried to talk about things other than our kids, yet our conversations led to them every time. I didn’t sleep well because I dreamed about them and worried about them. Go figure…lol.
We finished the day off by resting and then Hallie and I along with my mom, sister-in-law, and Grandma went to the outdoor play/musical Annie. Hallie enjoyed it and decided that she wants to learn to sing and be in a play. I sat next to my Grandma, and I think she really enjoyed it. It was about the 1930’s when she grew up. It talked about President Roosevelt. She leaned over to me and said, “Didn’t you just love him, he was such a great president.” I told her that I didn’t remember him, and I never knew him. She was shocked, “you don’t?!” I had to remind her that I was born in 1983. “Oh yeah…”she said. Hehe. She is so funny. I cherish those times with her, because I know there aren’t many left.Anyways, one more random thought. GAS!!! I swore I would never ever complain about the gas prices. I watched G.J.’s parents drive like 10 miles to another station to save like 2 cents a gallon and I was always SO annoyed. Well, the frustration has truly caught up to me. We have a gas card, so I can budget for it. We plan on 200-300 a month. Well take a gander of last months amount…$697!!! I about flipped. We had 3 Salt Lake trips, so that can account for some of it. I did a little math, and with gas prices the way they are, I figured how much it costs me for every mile I drive- (granted I have a SUV that only gets 20 MPG) It costs 20 cents for every mile I drive, how terrible is that? What makes me even angrier is that a story on the news said that around the Vernal area there is 3x more oil shale than in Saudi Arabia. Can you believe that-3 times MORE, yet we are slaves to them for our gasoline. The environmentalist won’t let us try to turn that oil shale into gasoline because heaven forbid we cause pollution. Stupid tree huggers, the world is coming to an end anyways, why suffer high gas prices. (sorry to any environmentalists out there, I don’t hate you, just hate the price of gas) Guess its time to get a motorcycle with a trailer that can fit 3 car seats!


5 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

Kandice your blogs always crack me up. I loved that you cleaned your brother's house. I tend to do that for people too but only because I just want to see it clean and it drives me crazy (not out of ADD). I love doing other's dishes too so call me and I'll come do yours. Gas prices are ridiculous!!! Groceries are getting pretty pricy too. Brian was asking me what big purchases I have been making lately and the sad thing is nothing-life is just costly right now. The play was really good. We enjoyed ourselves. That cracks me up about Hallie. So cute!! Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Okay... so here's a good deal on gas for you...

Smith's is currently doing a promotion where if you buy a gift card they automatically add an additional 10% to it. So if you buy a $300 card you actually get a $330 card. PLUS you get the .15 cents off coupon on your next fill-up. You'd spent that much on fuel anyway, so why not get the free $30 and the .15 cent discount.

The gift card works to buy fuel or groceries with, so you can use it as a gas card if you want. You just have to pay at the window with it. I think it's worth buying one (they'll actually let you buy up to 4 of them). The promotion ends at the end of July, so if you're going to get one you'll have to do it before then. You can get them in incriments (sp?) of $300, $600, or $1,200. Imagine if you bought a $1,200 card - you'd get $120 FREE. But then who of us has an extra $1,200 laying around. tee-hee.

Oh... and I asked about every question possible regarding them, and they do not expire, they do not have any hidden fees, and you can buy both gas or groceries with it. Sweet!!

Stephanie said...

Hey Kandice! I found your blog through our mutual friend Michele Mansfield. You do not cease to amaze me! I'm putting you on my list just so I can read yours and giggle!
Stephanie (Tucker)

Kelli said...

I love your 4th of july blog page. its so pretty. Email me on how the doc appointment went. I have been so busy this week cleaning and stuff, sorry I have neglected you. I so want to clean my sons house, he just moved in to our old house and its so trashed. but I dont want to offend his girlfriend. And it would hurt my feelings when it looked the same way in a day or two. hehe.

Danielle Hacking said...

I agree with you on the gas, we drive out to Vernal way to much, and that gas card bill, well, I just have stopped looking :) Hope you guys are doing well! We'll have to get together when we go out to V town next!