Friday, December 4, 2009

Keep The Change....



The coin is on the upper right of the picture if you couldn't tell.

I finally have 5 minutes to document what has happened since Monday. A lot happened each day, and due to a lack of sleep on my part I am still confused at what day it actually even is, but here goes:

Tuesday:

Kayler was acting a little strange. He was a lot more ornery than usual. I even called my dad to come take him for a few hours so I could get some things done. That evening I was at the Dr. with Gavin to discuss some issues he was having, and G.J. called while I was there and said that Kayler was vomiting violently, and for me to come home. Gavin said, “Well he must be puking because of that penny he swallowed yesterday.” I had no clue that he had swallowed a penny.

We arrive home, and there was vomit everywhere, Kayler was really sad, but I was having a selfish moment. I had been invited to a friends to wrap some Christmas presents. I just really needed to get out of my house so I got things settled at home and I went. I was not there long at all and G.J. called and told me that Kayler was pretty bad off and to come home. First off…G.J. never gets too worried, and second, he knows that I need a break and he never calls me to come home without good reason-so I knew I better go.

So, I get home to a screaming little vomiting boy. I sat there for a minute, and I just had the strongest feeling that I should take him to the ER. I let G.J. go to sleep and I went alone. They did an X-Ray and found what they actually thought was a Quarter. Kayler was getting worse and worse and the Dr. called Primary Children’s and they wanted us to send him by ambulance or life flight. I am thinking….hello, he swallowed a coin, it will pass, lets not overreact……..So we stayed there until 2 a.m. with strict instructions that if he got any worse that we had a standing order at Primary Children’s and for us to just drive. I had to sign paper work saying that we refused the ambulance and all that….and that was Tuesday.

Wednesday:

Kayler had slept with me and had a terrible night of pain and misery. The other kids had gone to school, and so I got him up and tried to focus on getting him to eat and drink. He refused. My dad even came over and brought him a slurpee, we tried having a tea party, which he loves…and still nothing. I had my parents come get me and we tried everything to get him to eat…and still nothing. He was pretty lethargic by then, so we headed to Dr. Pollary’s office. He took one look at him, ordered another X-Ray and had us back in his office. The coin was still in his stomach, which meant that it was not going to pass on its own. He called Primary’s again, and they said to have us come right out.

So at this point I have a million thoughts running through my head. G.J. decided he would stay home and keep life as normal as we could for Hallie and Gavin, and my mom took us out. The drive out I thought would take forever, but it went SO fast. The poor little guy finally decided he wanted a drink, and about 10 minutes after he started vomiting again. I felt so bad for him.

We got there and I just can’t even explain how awesome that hospital is. We walk in to the admitting, they ask right away if it was Kayler, said they had been waiting, walked us right up to his room and got things going. They put in an IV to hydrate him, did another X-Ray (coin still in stomach) and then we went to sleep……

Thursday:

I got about 3 hours of sleep between them coming in to check on him, me worrying, the bed being small, etc. but I was ready to face the day. The team of Dr.’s taking care of him came in and told us that unfortunately, the surgery would not be until 2 p.m. unless his condition worsened. So that left me with a very hungry sad little boy. They were awesome to say the least to help us. They brought in 2 real puppies for him to play with, sent him to an awesome play room, took him on wagon rides, you name it, they helped. Finally he was in so much pain and could not stop crying so they pushed the surgery up a bit. They came and got us and the actual procedure was so fast. They had to put him out completely and then they did a scope with a little grabber thing and they pulled out a Penny after all. The Dr. said he actually would have rather had it be a quarter because pennies made after 1992 are very dangerous to swallow because of a high copper/zinc composition. He found that he was in so much pain because the penny was starting to erode the lining of his stomach. So he gave us a now silver penny to keep as a memory of this rotten experience and some medication to repair his stomach. Kayler ate a TON after the surgery. They have room service and we called and ordered him crackers, a slurpee popsicles, a pb & j sandwich, sprite, water, an apple, and a donut. He ate every single crumb.
We drove home and he slept all night and so did I. That leads me to today.

Friday:

Today I am so busy, frustrated, and just over come with exhaustion. I am in charge of our wards super Saturday tomorrow, so I am trying to make up for lost time and get that all ready. I am having feelings of anger- like why does stuff like this always happen to our family. We have had SO many random things like this happen. This hospitalization makes for number 15 for my 3 kids. I know there are some people who thrive on the attention and are total hypochondriacs and actually like for this stuff to happen. That is SO not me, I pray daily for the opposite…just good health and no drama.

I just feel like people think I am a bad mom or crazy or want this to happen. I assure you I do not. While I know things could be worse, blah, blah, blah-this is my life, and it is bad and traumatic and hard to go through for me. Now I have that constant fear of my kids’ health and safety. Now I have the dreaded feeling of awaiting the hospital bills. We had ZERO extra money to begin with, and now this. I honestly don’t know what we are going to do.

I am however very grateful for that motherly intuition and guidance that I have received this occasion and times before. I know that is a wonderful blessing, and has let situations like this have good outcomes. I am also grateful for the true genuine kindness, concern, and prayers from our family, friends, neighbors, and ward members. It was very humbling to see how many people truly care.

So, moral of the story-watch your kids…..keep money and all little things off the floor, and pay attention to the holy ghost!

p.s. Kayler is getting a penny bank for Christmas….lol

14 comments:

The McClellan Clan said...

holy cow sister. Now I know all about money and how much I don't want my kids to ever have any. I seriously just figured everything gets passed. That is To bad!! Thank goodness Gavin saw it cause it gave you some sort of an idea.
Super saturday huh. I haven't been to church in so long I had no idea. If you get this before it starts email me and let me know a little info will ya. And is there someone watching kids?
Thank goodness everything turned out okay!! I'm so sorry this happened to you. You have definitely been dealt on heck of a hand!! Please let me know if there is anything I can do!!

Brett and Diane said...

Wow what an experience. I'm glad he is doing better. I love Primary Children’s hospital too they are so amazing. I am like you and dread the hospital bills in the mail. No funny specially during Christmas time when you would much rather have that money for something else. Hope you super Saturday goes well.

Kassi Luck said...

Kandice - Oh My GOODNESS!! I am so sorry. I know how heavy these things can weigh. I am so glad he is okay and that everything turned out okay. What a scary thing to happen over a little penny. Yikes!! I hope your super saturday goes well and you are able to recover. You are so strong and I know you will make it through even though you are frustrated. Dont you wish you knew the answer to why you keep having to go through this kind of thing. I know I wonder things like that. You are a great mom and a great person. Thanks for always uplifting me with your posts and your kindness. Please call me and I will take Kayler and he can come play and you can get some rest. TTYL 790-3111

Janice {Run Far} said...

Girl... you are one of the Strongest women/wife/mothers I know. To have gone through 15 hospitalizations with your 3 kids and to still have the postive outlook you do, makes me proud to call you my friend. I am so sorry your family has had to go through all these medical trials, who knows why. I can;t imagine how it must feel. I am so happy you listened to the spirit and took him into the ER when you did. I can't believe the penny was silver when it came out. WOW. and sad for Kayler that is messed his tummy up so badly. Holy crap. Hang in there. The lord is with you always and I am sure your Ward dinner will be a hit. (((hugs)))

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Poor little Kayler!! Kenna loves to play with change and I am always afraid of Kate eating it and this only has made it worse. Love the comment about the piggy bank!;)

Mandy said...

:(

I don't even know what else to say.
I love you!

Kelli said...

I cant imagine anyone thinking you would like that kind of drama or is a bad mom, your the best. Hang in there. We all have our own trials and this just must be yours hospital/bills. I'm sorry about that, I know it sucks. Merry Christmas

Hillary said...

So glad everything worked out ok with Kayler, but you're right, now the worry looms overhead with the money. It's such a heavy load to carry. Primary's is amazing, the people who work there are incredible, I am so glad they were able to take care of everything. But they are also amazing to work with as far as payments, and programs to pay for things, so I hope it works out. Love ya.

Jesenia said...

I am so happy that it tunred out okay. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. You are amazing!!! I hope that you have a better week. Take care.

Candace and Brian said...

You always amaze me....you never skip a beat.

Chelsie Jensen said...

Oh man! I'm sure glad that he is alright. I agree with you that mothers have that special instinct. I'm glad that you are close the spirit and notice his promptings. The joys of being a parent huh?

Nathan and Shanna said...

Oh my goodness Kandice! Thanks goodness that everything is ok. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Please let me know if there is anything I can do! I know you probably won't call, but we should get together sometime! Take care and our prayers are with you!

Karlee said...

So Gav really does know the difference between a quarter and a penny!! I still can't believe that story! Poor little guy! I am glad that you are through with that. You know one of my favorite things I've heard? "Mother's Intuition is something the world has made up for the Holy Ghost." Something like that! Good thing you are so intune and got him right in! You need to get a picture of Kayler with his silver penny! I thought Super Saturday was a hit... good job!! Wish I could have been more help! You didn't seem to need it though even after all this! You're awesome!

Ben and Marcie said...

I'm so glad his surgery turned out okay! How scary, and I'm sure its so hard to watch him being so sick! I hope he gets feeling better soon!