Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Gift of Giving

My very favorite thing about Christmas is giving. I was taught by all my Grandparents and especially my parents the joy and rewards of giving. My mom loved to get everything perfect for us at Christmastime. She also made sure that as a family we gave to those in need, and I have some priceless memories from doing that. I have a lot of memories of my dad handing out hams and work gloves to all his work associates…a tradition he still has. So as a mom, I have been so excited to teach my kids the joy that comes with giving.

This year, as with most families, money is pretty tight for us for Christmas. I am actually perfectly fine with it. G.J. and I have a silent understanding that there is no money for Christmas for gifts for each other. I am o.k. with the realization that there won’t be any presents under the tree for me to open Christmas morning. My parents and G.J’s parents have been kind to help us out with practical things, and that is great. The kids were allowed to ask Santa for 3 small things, and they were super excited to do that. We got them new pajamas and winter coats from G.J. and I. Our parent’s always spoil them rotten-so they won't go without, so I am just so excited to watch them on Christmas morning.

I start thinking around Halloween time what to give people for Christmas. I love to think of the perfect gift, although I admit I get really stressed about it sometimes. It has actually been SO nice this year not having a lot of money to throw around to buy gifts-that in all reality are not needed. We have simplified big time. All of my shopping is done, and I have been able to enjoy this season immensely (besides the cold weather remember! ;) I have been watching all the Christmas specials on T.V. with my kids, and I have been reading them a Christmas story every night from our pretty large collection of Holiday stories. I also have been listening to Christmas music often. I got a new CD last night, and I LOVE it:



One of my favorite Christmas stories is about the Christmas Orange:



There are several different versions to this story, and they all bring me to tears. I talked to my kids about it last night, and I presented them with a challenge. I had bought groceries earlier in the evening, and I had found 2 inexpensive toys that I know they both LOVE. They were so excited that I had bought a small gift for them, or so they thought. I told them that I wanted them to take them to school today and to find someone who they think needs the toy more than they do. Hallie was pretty excited. She even took one of her toys so she could “play with whoever she took the other toy to.” Gavin was so cute. He said, “I am going to look for the boy with the saddest face on the playground.” It seriously made my heart so proud.

When they got home from school today I was so excited to ask them how it went. Hehe...It wasn't quite how I had envisioned, but it is a start. Gavin said he just gave his stuff to the teacher. He said She told him he was a nice boy. Hallie told me quite the story of how she showed a friend on the bus her toy and she told the friend if she had 3 bad things happen to her at school that she would give the toy to her. Well this little friend could seriously be an actress....I know her and her antics well, and by the end of the day she had convinced Hallie that 3 TERRIBLE things had happened to her, so Hallie gave the toy to her.

Like I said, not as I had envisioned, but its the thought that counts and is definitely a good place to start!

10 comments:

Nathan and Shanna said...

What a good idea. My kids like to give gifts to their friends and there never seems to be enough money. So we got this cute little craft book to make their presents, but I'm finding that I must not be to crafty because in order to make half of the crafts I need to buy the supplies to do so! Thanks for sharing!

Danielle Hacking said...

That is such a cute story! And a great idea! My neighbor is having a neighborhood open house and instead of giving neighbor gifts, they are having a charity jar at the party, what you would spend on a neighbor gift, you can donate. Its a cute idea!
I was going to comment on a previous post, I'm so glad everything worked out with your little guy. Primary Childrens is the best hospital, you guys were in great hands!

Candace and Brian said...

That's hilarious. So kids!!! You now what theough, they will remember it and they will carry on that attitude. Glad you are enjoying the season. I love ya!

The McClellan Clan said...

That is seriously such a good idea!!! I never even thought of that! I'm so proud of you!! ;)

Seriously Christmas is to much a hype these. I'm sure your kids are getting PLENTY and that isn't even the point. Growing up for me. We got 1 present from santa and one present from mom and dad unless it was a bunch of little things. I think some people get so carried away, the holiday season is over whelming because they don't have time to just relax. So enjoy girl!!

Kassi Luck said...

You are such a cute mom!! You are always doing so many cute and fun things to help teach your children great things!!

Cassie said...

Oh, my word, I was just reading about Kayler and the penny! I am so sorry. I hope things are going better. Maybe we can talk after the holidays.

Kristi said...

What a good way to teach your kids about giving! It is interesting to see how each child interprets it. Gavin was probably to shy to give it to someone. What amazing children you have!

Lacy said...

Kids are so funny!

That's a great idea. I might copy it! I'm afraid Questen would just give it to his best friend instead of finding someone in need. lol
but I think will do it anyways!

Chauntue Peterson said...

I hear ya on that one. My kids are really learning that christmas is about christ and not present's this year. I had to tell them that mom and dad have to pay santa for the presents that he brings and money is tight right now. We need to get together I need to rack your brain about bryce and what i need to do with him.

Janice {Run Far} said...

Love it. I want to do this with Taylor this week. You never fail to amaze me. Thanks for being my friend. I sure miss you, especially during the Holidays.