Friday, September 11, 2009

September Fun

This week hasn’t been too eventful. Just the usual stuff. We did have one fun adventure yesterday (Thursday). My parents called to see if I wanted to take the kids to Steinaker for one last swim before Fall sets in after school. I absolutely HATE swimming in lake water…it scares me really bad. I don’t mind being in the water when I go boating, but on the shore it just creeps me out. But we went anyways.

My dad is so cute to swim with the kids and help out:




Not 5 minutes after we arrived Gavin found a dead fish and he just HAD to poke it. A yucky bee came out of it and stung him. He was so sad, good thing there was lots of mud around.



Kayler enjoying himself:



There was a little island that didn't SEEM too far away. My kids really wanted me to swim to it. It was a LOT farther than I thought! I also swam through yucky slimy muck...I was in a panic the whole time, but kept my cool for the kids.



We made it to the island!



Let me backtrack to Wednesday when we finally got Kayler’s play room up and running. It is kind of hard to explain the logistics of this room, but it is basically a place where I go (or G.J.) with Kayler and we have one on one play time. I try to make it in there for at least 1-2 hours a day with him. Uninterrupted and focused on helping him. The shelves are up high so he has to ask for toys and interact with us. The mirror is so he can see his face, and see us playing right down on the floor with him. The trampoline and ball help get out his energy. The rest of his room kind of is just there. It is a place where he is never told “no” We join him in whatever he wants to play, help him feel accepted, loved, and like he is the coolest kid ever. One day I was in there with him and out of the blue, he comes up and hugged and kissed me and said, “Thanks for playing with my mommy.” Aww….

Kayler's Room:





Today was another special event for Kayler. He went to his first “friend” birthday party. Granted it was for his cousin Rachael, there were still other kids there that weren’t his cousins.

Kayler and Rachael



Isn't he cute, even with no smile!



Kayler on the slide at his bday party:



Eating Cake:



This is something you might never think about when having a so called “special needs” child. I worry about these things late at night. I worry that he will never be invited to parties, accepted, have fun….you get the picture. Well, I had to stay right by his side at the party. He of course never acts like I would like him to, but he had fun nonetheless. He just did his own thing away from the crowd, I chased him around, we had cake, she opened his gift, he got a balloon, then he started screaming bloody murder about something and we got in the car both exhausted….and we were only there 45 minutes!

We are going to celebrate my nephew Kolby’s 1st birthday tomorrow. I can’t believe how time flies! Rachael’s real birthday is on Monday, so we are having a joint family party on Sunday. Hallie’s birthday is the end of this month, and I just have odds and ends of thing going on all month long….it is either crazy busy, or crazy boring around here! But I really enjoy this time of year, and hope that fall lasts for a very very long time.

Other than that, we are all healthy and doing well. Hope you all are too!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a great mommy! He is one sweet little guy. Imagine what a choice daughter you are to our Father in Heaven if he trusted you with one of his most special spirits!

Nathan and Shanna said...

That is such a wonderful idea! I need to do that with all of my kids. You are just an amazing person to me! Keep up the super duper job!!

Candace and Brian said...

I love the training and ideas with Kayler. I know you loose sleep but you are doing EVERYTHING to help him socially adjust. Things will work out. He's such a cute kid. I love Leslie's commnet because she is right on. You two are special parents to be trusted with him. Sounds like you are busy...glad I get a minute of your time tonight. Talk to you in a bit!

Kassi Luck said...

I love the pic of your dad out in the water with the cowboy hat on!! I hate the slimy mucky stuff too. Good job on keeping your cool!! Dont you love it when out of the blue they tell you thank you and it makes it all worth while. What a sweet little boy and what great parents you guys are. Just remember how special you both are.

Brett and Diane said...

Souns like the Searle's are doing great. Your dad is such a cool guy. I also remember him being so funny. The playroom looks awesome. I love learning more thanks for sharing.

The McClellan Clan said...

thats awesome, I'm glad you took him to it. I could see a parent just being scared and not do anything that might embarrass them. So they think. I know more people understand than what you think. If he wasn't SO DARN CUTE!! How can you not love that face!!!!!! I love all the things you are going through to make sure he has the best life possible you guys are awesome.

Josh and Kristen said...

Oh!! So sweet about how he told you thank you for playing with him. I bet it made you feel TOTALLY rewarded for all the work you have gone to to get the room ready for him!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Morgan wishes I would spend 2hrs of uninterupted time with her.... that is great that you can do it. Love his little face.

Kristi said...

I can't stand lake water either, it creeps me out!! I have a fear that my kids will drown. Kaylor's room is awesome, when I was on bed rest we bought Easton a little tramp, it helped him so much.