Thursday, August 19, 2010

Prayers Needed

Kris Posing as a Pirate/Sea captain


My wild and crazy brother needs your prayers….He is very very sick. He would kill me for doing this; but all I promised is that I wouldn’t start a Facebook group to pray for him….

Let me back track. My brother has always been a wild/crazy/free spirit. He LOVES to have fun. Most of all he loves to travel and explore the world. He has been to hundreds of places on every continent besides Antarctica. He got his sailing license last year. He sailed the Seychelles Islands last summer, and this summer he has been in the Southern Caribbean for 4 weeks sailing with his wife and several friends and family members.

Last Friday (still in the Caribbean) he noticed a teeny tiny scab on his knee. He picked it off not thinking much of it. Saturday came and he noticed his leg swelling rapidly and hurting. They were supposed to fly home Sunday so he just pushed it aside. Sunday came and he was so ill he could hardly walk. He kept passing out on the flight home. They landed in Salt Lake and took him to the ER. He went into cardiac arrest and things quickly went downhill.

They admitted him that night. I got the call from my mom early Monday morning. I quickly got things settled with my kids and drove out there. He looked awful, but it seemed the Dr.’s had it under control, so I came home that night. He was on 4 of the strongest antibiotics known to man. He was also on lots of pain meds because he was in so much pain. He is such a strong man, so it was weird/hard to see him so sick.

He had several tests and procedures. They finally decided it was MRSA….which is BAD NEWS. (G.J.'s uncle died of MRSA this March) This is what WebMD says about MRSA:

What is MRSA?
This tiny cluster of bacteria is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), seen under a microscope. This strain of the common "staph" bacteria causes infections in different parts of the body - including the skin, lungs, and other areas. MRSA is sometimes called a "superbug" because it is resistant to antibiotics. Though most MRSA infections can be cured, some can be life-threatening-and more people are dying daily from it.

He is home now with a PIC line (IV that goes straight to his heart) a home health nurse comes every 6 hours to administer meds and check his vitals. He is not feeling/doing any better. They may be admitting him again to the hospital to try surgery on his leg because it is so swollen and infected.

I really don’t ever ask things like this, but please pray for my brother. The Vernal Temple is closed, so I called the Salt Lake temple to get his name on the prayer roll. Every prayer helps and matters. I love him so much, and I know that he can make it through this.

I will update as much as I can. Other than that we are having another incredibly busy week trying to savor every last moment of summer!

11 comments:

Kassi Luck said...

Oh my goodness. :( I am so sorry and yes, we will keep him in our prayers for sure. Please let me know if you guys need anything, if you need someone to watch your kids if you need to run out and see him again, please please please, call me!! I would be happy to do anything that I can.

Kristi said...

Sorry to hear about this, he is in our prayers.

Brian, Nikki, and Nevie said...

Thanks for updating us...I've been worried about him and praying for him. I'll keep him in my prayers for sure. Hope he is okay. *Hugs*

melissa said...

Wow, isn't it scary how something that seems like nothing can turn into something that is such a big deal? Yes, we will keep him in our prayers and let me know if you need anything!

Janice {Run Far} said...

OMG... Kandice... Greg and I are both thinking about you and your family, especially for Chris and his health. Please keep us updated.

Nathan and Shanna said...

Oh my goodness! Our prayers are with him too!

Candace and Brian said...

Mark was just telling me tonight about this and how it hadn't gotten any better. I felt so bad because you seemed so hopeful. He is DEFINITELY in our prayers. Please let us know what we can do!

TOYA said...

I'm so sorry Kandice. He is definetly in our prayers.

TOYA said...

I'm so sorry Kandice. He is definetly in our prayers.

Karlee said...

I still can't get over this story!! It is so wild and I really hope he gets feeling better sooner than later! Good thing he's a tough guy and I know he'll pull through it!

The McClellan Clan said...

Whoa!! I haven't checked blogs lately, I've been so busy!! I"m so sorry! I can't believe that- Wow, he is so strong- seriously if anyone can get through this he can!! I'm sure during all of this he's even thinking of the next place he'll go too!!! I will definitely keep him in my prayers!!