Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Thing of the past...

Days like this are long gone. :(



A very sad day has arrived at our house. Kayler has stopped taking naps, and it makes me want to cry. That means a lot of things:

• My last baby is growing up
• “I”…I mean “he” really could use the rest
• It makes the day go SOOOO much longer
• He gets a little cranky in the evening, and it makes me want to snap
• I seriously need a break from him…sound horrible? Well spend 1 full day with him and you would know why!
• Summertime is not sounding that much fun anymore

We had been giving him naps daily, and he would still go to bed and sleep all night. Recently if he napped he wouldn’t go to sleep until 2-3 a.m. It was horrible. Even with his medicine of Benadryl / Melatonin cocktail, it was not working. It used to happen once in awhile, but now it was happening every time he had a nap. My other kids napped until they were 5 and 6….VERY lucky on my part. He is only 4, which is still pretty lucky, but I am just not ready.

Last week at this time, I was SO looking forward to summertime. I still am, but I am having a little bit of reality slap me in the face. You see…summertime brings freedom, no homework, no schedule, lots of sun, fun, friends, etc.etc.etc. On the other hand….that is not every single day, and there are going to be LOTS of days where I have absolutely no plans. That means that it will be a day like today, where I wake up and seriously have nothing to do-and it drives me bonkers! Some people crave that, as do I once in a while. I just don’t want too many days like that, especially when all 3 kids are home, and especially when Kayler doesn’t nap. It is not even Lunchtime today, and Kayler has nearly pushed me to my breaking point already-Hallie and Gavin aren't even here to add in to the mix.....I am in trouble!

So, I have already made a plan. If you remember last year, I had a huge list of things we wanted to do in the summer. So I am going to try to space them out if I can, and try to always have something to look forward to.

Next, Kayler’s teacher sent home the cutest summer calendar. It is a small activity of learning for every day of the summer. I think I am going to try to fit those in when we get bored.

Third, I am going to try to be brave and go to the Rec. Center a lot more often…even by myself. We have passes that don’t get used nearly enough. Hallie and Gavin can swim/play by them selves, and Kayler loves it.

Fourth, I am going to give them “quiet time” alone in their rooms every afternoon. I tried it yesterday with Kayler, and it lasted 45 minutes before he had to go poo…. They can choose a toy/activity to play with and just give me time to regroup for the second half of the day before G.J. gets home.

Finally….I need to pray for LOTS of patience and gratitude for this time in my life. I look back to the day when all 3 kids napped almost every day at the same time….that seems like a VERY distant memory. Now we are at a new phase, and I just need to enjoy it. Pretty soon they will be bratty teenagers (hopefully not too bratty!) that will BEG for a nap every day…on days that they can't/shouldn't be napping when they have homework, errands, and lots of other things to attend to at that age. Isn’t it funny how life works!?

So, to days like these……..less than 2 weeks to go!:


Summer 2007

6 comments:

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Shoot! Kenna hasn't had naps for the past few months-solved our night time problems though-yay! She has to have quiet time everyday, she watchs a movie or whatever, but she isn't allowed to talk to me until I am ready to talk to her. My sanity needs it!;)

Kassi Luck said...

I am so sorry!! I understand how nap time is soooo needed. I have been told that I am lucky that my 4 year old will still nap. Some days dont work out so well but on those days I do make him have quiet time-- FOR MY SANITY. We will have to get together and let the kids play this summer!! You, me, melissa, mindy could have park play dates!! Or we could do it at a house. Either way!!

Josh and Kristen said...

I think MOST mom's need that break. (Or maybe that's what I tell myself.) I think your idea of quiet time is perfect. You are right that it gives you time to regroup before the second half of the day. Also, if the first half has been stressful... it's kind-of a chance to have a do-over, right?

Lacy said...

I'm way jealous your kids had naps til they were 5. Not one of mine have had naps (except the falling asleep in the car on long trips.) since 2 1/2. Really. My kids just don't nap.

I miss nap time too! But I think it should be for me. lol!

Candace and Brian said...

Such a cute picture!! You'll get through no naps. Quiet time I hear is everyone's sanity. You'll be surprised how busy you stay this summer too. We'll have to spend lots of time together!

Hillary said...

It's amazing what just that little break in the day can do for a mom. I have always done quiet time with my kids after they started napping, and it is wonderful! And I think it's really good for them. I read something once that said it helps with their imaginations and teaches them to entertain themselves. Good luck with all the exercise, you always do so well with your goals. Hope the kiddos feel better!