Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Spoke too soon......

I should have just kept my mouth shut….I jinxed myself……:



The other day I was sympathizing with a friend whose little boy has been pretty darn sick for several weeks. Having been there done that with all 3 kids when they were sick for weeks on end for the first 3 years of their lives with the struggle to find the cause, treatment, prevention…..I know how she feels. Along with the well meaning comments people give like “wow, your kids are sure sick a lot…” It gets very frustrating. Anyways, while talking to her I made the comment that I was so happy because my kids have been SO healthy lately. We have only had 1 dr. visit within the last 2 months, which was for Kayler’s 4 year well check. Before that the whole family had strep at the beginning of March. Then Gavin’s tummy issues (which are getting better by the way!), Kayler’s penny incident in December, and before that I really can’t recall the last time they were all 3 sick.

Well, it started on Monday after I blogged about Kayler’s no more naps. Kayler was playing outside with me and the other kids in the beautiful weather when he fell and sliced his knee pretty good. He was devastated…and cried so hard and long, G.J. had to come home from work. It probably needed stitches, but I wasn’t about to traumatize him. So I did my best to butterfly/glue it shut, and it looks pretty good beside him crying every time he sees it….can you say “drama king!”

Well Tuesday came and I was at the Rec. Center working out when Hallie called from school to tell me she was really sick. So I picked her up, could tell she was sick and made a Dr. Appt for 1 hour later. Kayler seemed to be really lethargic and sick too, and he fell asleep for a nap all by himself-which after my last post you know is something he NEVER does.

So, I took Hallie to Dr. Catten since she has had strep about 5 times in the last year. He said that she indeed had strep, and that she had an infected lingual tonsil….whatever the heck that is. All I know is that I had her tonsils and adenoids out and considered it good. He said that tonsil tissue can regrow and mess up that middle and third tonsil that usually gives nobody problems. He said that could be a cause of her getting strep so often, and recommdeded we take it out. To me….I hope this doesn’t offend, but he seems Extremely surgery happy. He barely even checked her throat and is already wanting surgery??? I don’t think so…no thank you. Well he gave her an antibiotic and for the Dr. visit and her meds-$40 later we were out of there.

Well, I went back to get Kayler up from his nap at my moms, and he was burning up. So I called Dino Land Peds. And they got us in 15 minutes later. He was freaking out because he thought the Dr. was going to look at his knee heaven forbid…..did I say Drama? Well, I could have told them before they even checked but he had strep and a nasty nasty double ear infection. The Dr. asked if I had other kids, and I said yes, and you ARE writing me a prescription for him. So $50 later for the visit and meds for both boys, and we were out of there.

Well low and behold, Gavin got off the bus looking HORRID….and said he couldn’t swallow. So last night after my very boring morning, yet eventful afternoon and between dinner, G.J.’s city council meetings, my primary meeting, G.J.’s Elder’s Quorum visits, and all else that I do to keep the house running….I got their medicine situated…. 3 doses a day for the next 10 days x 3 kids = 90 times I will be giving them meds. I hate giving them medicine, but I honestly hate seeing them suffer even worse, so down the medicine goes, and lets hope G.J. and I don’t get it.

Today I have to eat my words again. In my post yesterday, I said that it seems like FOREVER ago when all 3 kids napped at the same time. Well lucky me, they all stayed home sick from school today (Kayler even missed his last day. :( They are all 3 napping, and here I sit. So I guess the lord wanted me to have a taste of what nap time was like again before he cuts it off for good….except for occasions like this!

On the bright side, when my kids are sick they are so snuggly and lazy. They are happy to be laying down. They seem to fight less, make less messes, and sleep more. So even though it is exhausting to have them sick, it is almost a little tiny break!

One more thing….like I said earlier in my post about being at the Rec. Center. I am trying to lose 25 lbs by August. Think I can do it???? I sure hope so. It is my tenth class reunion. Not that I even care to go to the reunion, but just in case I do I need the motivation to lose the rest of this baby weight, now that my baby is 4! I lost 30 lbs all on my own with diet and exercise when Kayler was 6 months old. So in the past almost 4 years I have gained back about 10 lbs or so. To be at my goal weight that means 25 more to go, but I would even be happy with 15 at the minimum.

It feels good to be working out again and trying to eat better. To be honest the hardest thing about losing weight and dieting is I feel my family suffers. While I try to eat healthier I want them to as well, and they don’t like it. While I exercise, I always feel like I am neglecting my kids or burdening whoever is taking care of them while I exercise, which is usually G.J. But I decided it is time I take time for myself….just a little time each day. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will reach that goal and be happier and better off because of it!

10 comments:

Josh and Kristen said...

Sorry that your kids are all sick... I hope the antibiotics kick in fast and everyone is on the mend by the weekend! Good luck with your weight loss goal! I've got mine too. It always feels like a battle!

Briana said...

I am so sorry all your kids are sick. Now I feel even worse that we kept GJ for so long!! You should join the DinoTri....that is my motivation. Just cause I have to finish the finish line ;)

Candace and Brian said...

So sorry you are all sick. For what it's worth Jhett bounced back quickly and we have yet to get it. Good luck with your weight loss goal. I'd love to go walking with you.

Brian, Nikki, and Nevie said...

Aw man....I'm sorry everybody's sick again. I hope it passes quickly.

I'm also sorry about Kayler's not napping...Nevie's dropping her nap, and it is NOT fun! And she's not quite as high maintenance, so I can only imagine your pain.(:

About the weight loss thing--I think you look GREAT just how you are, but I am happy you are taking some time for yourself each day. Exercise isn't exactly fun, but it definitely helps me feel less stressed and more able to handle life. LOL I will be trying to do it right along with you! (Though 3 hours away...)

And do we know exactly when the reunion is? I hadn't heard anything about it until your post. Not that Brian will want to go to it. But if you guys go, I will make him.

Kassi Luck said...

Wow all three kids sick. There is nothing worse!! I hope they get feeling better soon and I hope you and GJ dont get sick as well. Good luck on the weight loss, I know you will do it!! You are so motivated!! If you ever need someone to watch your kids while you go exercise, give me a call - SERIOUSLY!! I am always home!!

The McClellan Clan said...

Holy cow girl!!! I HATE strep just experienced it at easter with Kaelyn! So sorry! Glad they didn't get pukey though!! Good luck with your goal! I had one too. Going nine months with nothing but sitting on the couch sort of ruins things. So you are going to the reunion. Well I guess you would cause you have GJ but would you go if you weren't married to someone that graduated that year. I just didn't know what to do, cause I didn't grow up with that class. I kind of like 2001 class better. No offense to the 2000 kids!! :)

Kelli said...

poor babies, I hate it when they are sick also and then when they are better and running around like crazy, I always tell myself I should have enjoyed their downtime but its hard when they are sick. Good luck

melissa said...

oh man, sorry all the kids are sick but thankfully it is warming up so maybe the bugs will go away for a while! I need an exercise motivator so if u ever want to go run, just let me know :-)

Anonymous said...

You are a good mommy! Nothing worse than having sick babies. Hope they feel better soon!!!

Karlee said...

25 pounds sounds like a lot!!! Too much if you ask me! I don't think you should loose that much. I think you already look great! You'll laugh at the 10 year cause you expect people to look different, but I felt like everyone looked the same as high school! Just like your picture at the temple getting sealed 9 years ago... you guys look just the same! You should go to your reunion though, they're are a lot of fun! Glad we finally got to catch up a little!
Hope the kiddos are getting better quick... and for good for the year!