Sunday, January 24, 2010

Empty...and TOO full.

Here I sit….in an empty house. My empty house. Most days it would be something I would enjoy…a little peace and quiet. Not today. I am here just to use the computer for awhile. My house is empty because we haven’t been able to live here for the past few days, and here is why.

Last Monday as I did my normal Monday laundry, I noticed water coming up in the basement. Thank goodness it was not sewage…just lots of water. So I frantically got things in order, turned off the water and left the house, trying desperately to get someone (septic wise) to come help me. Finally at 6 p.m. a truck clear from Price, UT came to pump our tank. We thought it was just backed up…whatever.

Well the guys who came to pump it, (one of which was Chet Stewart, originally from Vernal and a friend of ours) told us something was up-in a BAD way. As fast as he could pump it, water was pumping back in from the wrong direction. They finally got the water to stop, and $495 later they were on their way back to Price.

We went through our week, enjoying Gavin’s birthday, trying to get back to normal when I get a bombshell of a phone call from the Dr. that had seen Gavin the previous week. She told me that they had found something, and it was not good. He has intestinal tumors. Thank GOODNESS, there is an almost guaranteed chance that they will not be cancerous. So I had that to worry about, he had more tests, there were lots of phone calls with the Dr. in Salt Lake. We will know more later after a cat scan and more tests. I got another phone call from my Dr. with bad news for me, but as Mom I am way more worried about Gavin, and I can wait. I know that more than a handful are thinking....seriously again?(and not in a nice way)-me included. More medical drama for our family. I guess that is our trials in life-Septic problems, health, and lack of money to pay for it all!

That brings us to Thursday. Our carpet was all sanitized and the basement dried out from Monday’s flood. We had to put new carpet bad down and pay someone to do all that. $143 to the sanitizing people, and $165 to the carpet guy-we thought we were good to go.

Friday morning I noticed the drain was acting a little funny, but I went about my morning. I put in a load of laundry….and boom, major flood again. I called the people in Price, and they sent a truck my way. They pumped and pumped and searched and put cameras up and down and here and there and they were just stumped. Finally one of them had the idea to call the water company. I paid a $425 bill to the septic company again (got a whole $70 off for being a repeat customer) ….and then I had to get out-I left G.J. and the water company trying to figure it out.

My poor kids have not had all of their mommy that they need this past week. My mind and worries have been elsewhere. Hallie’s piano class was supposed to go to the Jon Schmidt concert. So…I closed the door behind me, and she and I went to dinner and the concert, which was fabulous.

The next morning I noticed the water company out behind our house looking at something. Come to find out, a pipe- not on our property may I mention, which just happens to be a huge pipe had burst in 2 spots, which led to the saturating of our drain field from our septic, which is why we have a river pumping in our house. The man said it looked like it had been broken for 2+ months. They also found another problem at a little water station by our house. I was very nice when I asked if they were going to help with the bills of damage. He assured us that he would…but I will believe it when I have the $ in hand.

So at this point we had moved into G.J.’s parent’s home. It is a blessing we had somewhere nice and warm to go. I just felt bad that they had it all cleaned and winterized for them to go south for the winter, and here we are messing it up. I had to pack suitcases of all we need, food to eat, and get my house locked up. We have been coming back often to check the septic to see if it is magically fixed, which it is not.

If it all weren’t enough, I forgot in a way that Gavin’s little friend birthday party last night (Saturday) was scheduled with 17 6 and 7 year olds headed to the ice rink for some celebration. We managed to pull it together, we had a nice time, and I was so happy to see Gavin blessed with so many fun little buddies.

Today was ward conference. It was wonderful….even though I have a headache from crying so much. It seemed that most the talks were about adversity, trials, tough times, etc. A lot was emphasized of keeping strong and faithful and bearing all trials well. I feel so ashamed that I am not among that group this week. I feel like I have been hit from every side and don’t quite know where to turn. I feel like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum.

I keep trying to remind myself…it is just a house, this will get fixed etc. Then I realize it is MY house, OUR house….and I want to be here with things working well. That is the perfectionist part of me. Without all the stress of the house, my heart is just aching not knowing the future of Gavin’s health.

Tomorrow is G.J.’s birthday. I am bound and determined to make it a wonderful day. Of course after paying almost $1300 last week for this disaster…there is no money for gifts or a nice dinner, but I am going to do the best to make my wonderful husband’s day great. Along with that, my parents will be back after being gone out of the country for 23 days on various vacations. I need their help love and support more than they know.

So, there you have it. There are lots of details I am leaving out…but seriously it was one of the worst weeks of my life bar none. I am so looking forward to tomorrow, and getting this all back in order hopefully. People have asked how they can help…which is so sweet. If they could magically move the water away from my house or magically make Gavin better or make money grow on trees that would be wonderful. But for now, prayers are appreciated.

Here are the pictures from the kids playing in the snow yesterday and Gavin’s Ice Skating Party!:










14 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

All I can say is hang in there. This too shall pass!

Jesenia said...

Kandice!! I am so sorry, what a week for you, Poor little Gavin. Your family is in our prayers. I wish I was closer to help you. Know that I am thinking of you. Take care.

Janice {Run Far} said...

well holy crap. I am so sorry. I hope the house gets better but mostly I hope Gav gets better and things are indeed not are serious as they think.... BTW- what was the call for your medical? love you girl.

Josh and Kristen said...

i am so sorry to hear about your terrible week. I will pray for you and your family. I know how it feels like when it rains, it pours. Don't beat yourself up for being upset. ANYONE would be upset given your circumstances. I don't think the Lord expects you to be numb to the trials around you. He just wants us to turn to the Savior for strength and comfort that the enabling power of the atonement offers. Think about Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail. Even in that moment, Joseph himself wanted to understand why he and the saints had been called to bear such trials. The Lord did not chastise him, but spoke comfort and encouraged him to keep trying. I hope you give yourself some slack and realize that it's ok to be upset. Just remember that while He won't take the trial away, He can offer you the peace and strength you need to bear it. Love you and will be praying for you!

Brett and Diane said...

Wow what an absolutely horrible week. I'm so sorry to hear about your house and Gavin. I’ve been looking for that money tree for a while so if by chance I find it you’ll be one of the first ones I’ll call. I hope you’re back in your home soon and that everything goes well with Gavin.

Karlee said...

Floods are NEVER fun!! Even if it is just the bathroom tub overflowing cause you forgot to turn it off. (I did that last week) I'm sooo glad that you guys figured out the root of the problem and I hope you can get back to normal soon! I am soooo glad that we got to come to the ice rink! That was such a fun little party and like I said, I want to copy it for Tates and we'll have you guys come and return the favor! Gavie is the cutest little guy!

Nathan and Shanna said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your horrible week! Hang in there and know that you're loved and blessed beyond measure! The Scripture 1 Corinthians 10:13 comes to mind!

Kassi Luck said...

WOW! I am sorry this past week has been so horrible! Please let me know if there is anything i can do to help. We will keep your family in our prayers. I hope Gavin starts feeling better and you as well.

Briana said...

Kandice, I am so sorry!!!!! I hardly read blogs anymore cause I never have the time and had a few minutes and read yours. I wish I lived closer to help!!! Keep your chin up (which I know is easier said than done) stay on your knees asking for peace. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Chauntue Peterson said...

hey lady i need to ask you who you called at primary childerens will you email me the info i need to get bryce in chauncylovestoscrap@gamail.com thanks a ton

Lacy said...

Hey, I'm with you I've had am horrible month too!

Poor little Gavin. Please post as soon as you know! What about you? If you need help, I would love to!

TOYA said...

Oh Kandice, that sucks, but all you can do is keep praying and paying your tithing and all will be okay. I feel totally lost, what's going on with you and Gavin????

Kelli said...

I am so sorry, It does appear your trial is money related or health related. I wish I could take it away but then again, I dont want it either, thats not nice of me is it. Hang in there, the only good part is those that are more rightous satin loves more so you are the best of the best having the most trials. I will say a big whopper of a prayer tonight for you, your house and son!

THE BELL HOUSE BLOG said...

Ohhh Cand that is a horrible horrible week. My thoughts and prayers are with you and our little gavin. Things like this can only make you stronger, remember He won't give us anything we can't handle. xoxoxoxo