Monday, August 31, 2009

Home again, Home again....Hooray!

I can’t even begin to tell you how glad I am to be home. I just got the kids on the bus, and now I have a few peaceful moments before Kayler wakes up to catch up on my blog.

The rest of the week went great. We continued to bond with all the wonderful people who knew EXACTLY how we felt….and that was almost the best part of all of it. We also attended our first 2 professional counseling sessions….it was lots of “how do you feel?” We both weren’t quite sure what to think about that. Looking BACK on the counseling….I am finding it helpful, but during the moment it was just awkward, since it was so new to me/us.

I have had SO many people want to know what we learned; tell them all about it, etc. It is SO hard to explain it in just a few phrases, or even an hour long conversation. So what G.J. and I decided to do is to get everything put together, they gave us a few movies, papers, etc. and to have a “presentation” night….as silly as that sounds. That way those who are close to us and care to actually know what was learned will be able to see first hand a small glimpse. Does that sound like a good idea?? Even though all we learned is now second nature to me (almost!) it won’t be to others, so I need to prepare for the judgments that will come of course. Thank goodness to my counseling I know how to deal with stuff like that a lot better-feel less attacked, hurt, etc.

The flights home were crazy. We used sky miles, so of course they screw you around all they can. Well when we bought the flights, one of the flights was “booked” so they had to split us up. So we arrived at the airport, left from terminals RIGHT next to each other and left at EXACTLY the same time. G.J. had a layover in Minneapolis, and I had one in Atlanta. What was funny was on these “booked” flights, we had 3 seats all to ourselves……whatever, it gave me a good long time to reflect on things. Then we landed in Salt Lake at EXACTLY the same time. How silly is that!!! We arrived at 11:30 p.m., and we were going to stay over at my brothers, but my heart and mind was envisioning me in my own bed. So…we drove white knuckled the whole way home because of all the deer and HUGE elk on the road. We arrived home safe and sound at 3 a.m. and slept until 10 and then went and got our precious kids.

We had such a nice weekend. Just very relaxed and low key. It does take a lot of work/energy to unpack for 5 people that have been at 4-5 different places for the past 8 days. Not to mention getting back into the homework/school routine. I am so happy to be doing it though.

So, enjoy the pictures. I think one of the pictures is of a bear…it walked right by us as we were eating lunch, it was crazy! There is also one of some people at the airport welcoming a soldier right from Iraq....I cried when I saw it, and clapped..They announced it over the intercom, it was an awesome moment. The other are our journeys around there, and finally, MY first “back to school” day with my darling kids.

I love you all…thank you so much for all your sincere support and love.

p.s., please forgive my lack of "journaling" on these pictures...I think they are mostly self explanatory!















9 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

Welcome home!!! I saw you snapping pictures outside this morning and smiled thinking that you were documenting "back to school." I know this sounds super silly but I really enjoyed the pictures of GJ & you. You don't take them together very often. :) It looks BEAUTIFUL up there. I think the presentation is a wonderful idea. The more information you give to others to help the better help you're giving to Kayler. Glad you're home. We missed you!

Karlee said...

Yay! You're home! Even though we don't see each other tons it was still sad for me knowing that we couldn't get together! As soon as you get life back in order please call and let's plan something! Glad you made it home safe and sound. I can't wait to talk to ya!

Kassi Luck said...

i AM SO GLAD YOU GUYS MADE IT HOME SAFELY!! SOUNDS LIKE YOU LEARNED ALOT. ONCE AGAIN, YOU GUYS ARE SUCH GOOD PARENTS. I THINK YOU PRESENTATION SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA. THE MORE WE HAVE LEARNED FROM BROOKE ABOUT MADI AND HOW WE CAN HELP HER HAS BEEN VERY BENEFICIAL. WE WILL GIVE YA A CALL SOON AND DO A BBQ., TTYL

Ben and Marcie said...

I'm glad you were able to learn so much and that your trip was a success. I'm sure it feels so good to be home!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Glad you had a great time and learned so much. Knowledge is power and especially with children. I agree with Candace about the presentation. I think it could only benefit you, Kayler, and those close to him. Cute back to school kids!!

Nathan and Shanna said...

Welcome back! Even though we don't see each other much I feel like I know you better than you know me. You are so good at keeping your blog updated, me not so much. I'll have to work on that!
I'm also glad that you were able to learn stuff to help you with Kayler!

BrItTneEanN said...

So glad you were able to attend the convention thing. What a great opportunity to have others share the same trials, or rather not trials but situations, and have counseling on. I had no idea actually that your child is autistic.

I have recently learned more about autism within the last year and personally find that to be an intriguing thing to me to learn more about. What I find interesting is how people really don't realize how smart an autistic child still is. The way they think just totally enlightens my day, I find it heart warming hilarious. Hope that doesn't offend you. I had an autistic child that came to my room every day and some of the things he would say would crack me up--I loved it.

One thing I did learn is you can't demand them to ever look into your eyes when your talking to them. They just can't do it. Not sure if your little boy can....or how severe his autism is though...

Kelli said...

Great idea to have a night at your home to show everyone what you learned. I'm going to call you, I'm just crazy busy and then tired. hehe. the little kids start back to school next week, so probably then.

Brett and Diane said...

I had wondered what your trip was for. I think that there is nothing better then being surrounded by mom's that know EXACTLY what you feel like and the "shoes you walk in". Sounds like it was a really great experience. Once agian your kidos look super cute going to school!