One thing I did want to document was something that happened that I will never forget. Everyone reading my blog has heard of Sgt. Daniel Gurr’s passing. The events that led up to his death though are what I can’t get out of my mind. And how this world is so small…yet so large.
His little sister Caitlyn was in my Beehive class years ago. She was so cute, talented, and I really enjoyed being around her. Fast forward a few years….and I helped with the Drill Team when she was on it along with Daniels’ girlfriend Stephanie. I got to know the 2 of them even better.
About 3 weeks ago I had a horrific headache that wouldn’t go away. I had saw Stephanie at the Rec. center where she worked and was talking to her about my headache. She reminded me that she had been to school for massage therapy and had just opened up at her house and did massages.
I went over and had a great massage and we talked and talked about her and Daniel’s love story. I saw all the pictures of him all over her walls and listened to lots of stories. She was SO proud of him. It taught me right then and there to be a lot more grateful for the men and women that serve our country.
One more experience was a wonderful evening of chatting with my 92 year old neighbor...who just happens to be Daniel's Great-Grandma. She told me a lot of great stories and put my heart at ease with her faith. I was so sad for someone I hardly knew...yet she knew and loved him as her own flesh and blood and was much more at ease than me.
I truly didn’t think that he would be one to be injured. There are thousands upon thousands serving our country….why would he get hurt? So, when I heard the news of his passing…my heart sank, and I almost threw up. I was so sad for his family-who has had more than their fair share of tragedies. I thought of Stephanie…and how their love story’s ending was so much different than they had planned.
I think the most proud, humbling experience was the parade on main street when his body was brought home. My kids were SO reverent, silent, and I couldn’t help but to cry as the precession went through. This little town might not be everyone’s ideal place to live, but for me it is perfect. It is times like this when we pull together with an incredible amount of pride and solidarity and support for those that need it.
I am so grateful to be and American. So proud to live in Utah…and in Vernal.
1 comment:
It was an experience that I think will forever stay with all of us. It touched us all. Hope today is going well. Love ya!
Post a Comment