Monday, March 22, 2010

You know that strange feeling in your gut?

You know when you have that feeling in your gut that something big is going to happen. I have felt that way for about a month now…and could never pinpoint why. I felt a little uneasy, on edge, yet surprisingly at peace. Some moments I was fearful about having another huge trial come our way…seems like I need a break from those. Other moments I felt excited that it was going to be good.

I have had many instances in my life that I could have considered a reason for me feeling this way, but these instances would come and go, and I would still feel a little unsure. On Friday G.J. and I went to the temple. I leaned over to him and told him how I was feeling. I told him, “You mark my word, something big is about to happen.” He just laughed at me.

Saturday we were able to be chaperones for a 5 stake youth activity. It was a lot of fun, and G.J. and I definitely need to go on more dates and get out a lot more often. The kids were good with the babysitter and we headed to bed early…pooped from being around so many teenagers!

Sunday morning at around 6:30 a.m., my eyes popped open, and my heart was racing and I could not figure why. Just before 7 a.m. the phone rang. In my mind, any phone call before 8 must be an emergency of sorts. It was Brother Jones telling us that we needed to meet with the Stake Presidency. So by then I was definitely up. I got showered and of course started thinking this was the big “IT” I had been thinking of. We dropped the kids off to Kael and Emily, and went on over. It was a nice meeting, but it was not for me. It was something new for G.J., and they just wanted my permission for him to do both his stake calling and this new calling for awhile. I of course said yes, and we were on our way.

We picked up the kids and headed back home. We still had a little while before church, so I laid down to rest from the events of the morning. Right then, the phone rang. It was my bishop asking if I could be to our church right away. Then my heart really got racing. Our ward just got split/slaughtered-whatever way you want to look at it. A whole bunch of new callings needed to be filled, so I knew I was getting a new calling.

When I got there, he said something that was so incredibly humbling. He said that all 3 auxiliaries-Primary, Young Women’s, and Relief Society had all submitted my name to be part of the new presidencies. That isn’t the hardest thing, since our ward is super small now, and there are not too many people to choose from. But at least I know that people had been thinking of me, and that explained why I had felt the way I had for so long.

Before I tell you what my new calling is, let me tell you something that happened when we were in Salt Lake a few weeks ago. We were at a hotel, which in Salt Lake there are many of, and we happened to run into our neighbor Cindy Hancock. I didn’t think anything of it, other than what a small world it is.

Cindy had also received a phone call from the bishop Sunday morning, to call her as the new Primary President. When she arrived, she didn’t know what she was going to be called to, but she had 3 names in her mind, and she then knew why. Since seeing us at the hotel a few weeks ago, Cindy told me she had been having dreams about she and I….it was always just the 2 of us. She could not figure out why. Then Saturday night, she added 2 more women to that dream, and again she found it very odd. After they extended the call, she told them yes and that she already knew who she wanted to serve with her. She told them the 3 names, and the bishop was shocked because he had been thinking the same names as her, but wanted her to dwell on it if she wanted. She knew she was sure, and wanted us called that morning. So, we were all called, made it to the church, got sustained, and got set apart, all within a matter of hours.

I now know with a perfect knowledge that the lord was preparing me. I don’t really care for surprises. I have had these promptings about callings before, and I have always found great comfort knowing that the Lord’s hand is in it. I really need it in this calling, because I have never been in Primary, and quite frankly, it scares me a little.

As the 1st counselor, I am in charge of activity days, which I will love, since Hallie is that age. I am in charge of the nursery age kids, which will be great, because I have a lot of good ideas for that. I will have to create/be in charge of the annual program, which I don’t think will be too intense-I hope. I will also have to do sharing times, help with classes, and ALL the other responsibilities that will soon come my way.

I think the thing that freaks me out most is that I will be in there for apprx. 3 years, unless something changes again by then. That is a LONG time. By then I will have an almost 13 year old Hallie, 10 year old Gavin, and 7 year old Kayler…how crazy does that seem!?! I am also nervous with my kids being in there. I don’t want them to be naughty or act out…I need to do my calling and not have to discipline them the whole time.

Other than that, I am excited. I have been in a rut for awhile now, and I am the type that needs things to keep my mind and hands busy/occupied. I really enjoy all the ladies in the presidency with me. Cindy-Pres., Me-1st Counselor, Stephanie Gilroy-2nd counselor, and Lauren Massey-Secretary.

So there you have a big long story of my short whirlwind weekend. This week is going to busy with church stuff for G.J. and I. It is my birthday…which probably won’t be too eventful. Then with the warmer weather it always seems that my life gets a lot busier, but I am really glad it is getting warm!

7 comments:

Josh and Kristen said...

Isn't it comforting when you know that the Lord has been preparing you for something like this? You will LOVE the primary. In our last ward, I was over the same things you will be. I LOVED it. I really enjoyed preparing the program and sharing times. I, of course, loved the nursery and sunbeams and because I am a control freak love being in the primary where I can keep an eye on my kids! I am excited for you!!! P.S. You didn't mention what GJs calling was???

Janice {Run Far} said...

YAY.... congrats to you. You will have fun. Do I know Cindy Hancock? The name is familiar.

Anywho... you are so amazing. I know you will do such great job.

Kassi Luck said...

COngrats! You will be awesome. What a blessing you know that the Lord's hand was in this. I am glad that the uneasy feeling you have been having will be gone now .

Danielle Hacking said...

You will love primary, the kids have such sweet little spirits, and I learned so much while I was in primary... and hope you have a great birthday! I always appreciate your comments Kandice, you are a sweetie!

Candace and Brian said...

Congrats on your calling. When my Mom told me I was so happy. You will do AWESOME and I understand why every organization wants/needs you. I really am thrilled. Love ya!

Candace and Brian said...

P.S. In case tomorrow gets busy I haven't forgotten.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one amazing friend.

Stephanie said...

ooooooh- I am so jealous you already have your question answered. I haven't had a calling for months, waiting for the ward to split. I have felt those same feelings, and here we are, getting closer to Sunday and still...no call.I need something too...something to sink my teeth into...idle hands and all. You'll be great in the primary- I was sure you'd be there! Congrats!