Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy Happy Day :)

27 years ago I was born. Man I am getting old ;) I decided to take the time to reflect on some deep birthday thoughts I have had today.

When I turned 16, someone very close to me told me that I didn’t deserve to have a birthday because I wasn’t worth celebrating-in more or less words. It devastated me. I am usually the type to move on from hurtful words…but for some silly reason, I believed this person. Therefore I have literally hated my birthday the past 10 years because I felt that when people did nice things for me that they didn’t mean it, didn’t want to, and more than that-that I didn’t deserve it. So there is the big secret of why I USED to not like my birthday.

I have done a lot of self reflection the past few months. I am not saying I am this old and wise well-learned person…lets face it, 27 is not that old. In the words of my Grandpa, he told me I am "still wet behind the ears." hehe. What I have come to know is that I am worth it, and I do deserve to have a day to celebrate ME! I have decided that when people take the time to do or say things to me-especially on my birthday, that they DO mean it, and that I am worth it. That does not mean that I need to be boastful or self righteous or a diva or anything of the sort. What it does mean is that I can take the time for myself, do nice things to make this day special, and actually let others who offer do nice things for me. Trust me, this is a BIG step.

My birthday started a little early this year. Jessica took me to lunch yesterday….of course I am a slacker, and forgot pictures. We hit CafĂ© Rio, which was divine as usual. Then we come to today. Since it has been such a busy day, and it isn’t even half over, I will try to document what I have done, and unfortunately, only 1 picture has been taken, I might come back and add more later:

-I woke up unusually early….not by choice, I just couldn’t sleep. Usually I would fight to go back to sleep, but I decided it is only my birthday one day a year, and I better just enjoy the day…even if it was 5 a.m.

-I got the kids ready for school and all 3 of them on the bus and me out of the house by 8:15 ( with G.J.’s help, boy am I glad he doesn’t have to leave for work until 7:30 or so.)

-I went to get gas….exciting I know.

-I went and visited Heather. I knew this week would be empty without the busy-ness of her family being around from last week’s funeral of her mom.

-I went and helped clean out our Primary closet at the church. The president asked me before she knew it was my B-Day, and later called to tell me I didn’t have to, but I just told her I am weird and like to do things like clean and organize…any day of the year! ;)

-I came home…decided to walk on the treadmill, especially since I had some (or a LOT) of chocolate on the way home from the church. I walked for exactly 9 minutes….then I decided I was tired so I got in my nice warm bed with my heated blanket and watched Good Things Utah.

-I got Kayler off the bus….took him potty, gave him a toy, a snack, and turned on his fave “Yo-Gabba Gabba”.

-I had me a bubble bath in the middle of the day at 11:11 a.m. ;) It was divine. I had bought myself a new outfit…since I know my Georgie isn’t capable of such things. I wasn’t going to have anywhere to wear it….except my friend Holly called and took me to lunch Subway, and she brought me these:



-I will let you know, they were delicious. Her cupcakes are famous. The cake tastes better, her homemade frosting is divine, and the 4 I ate were perfect with my big glass of milk.

-Kayler is now napping….so here I sit wasting time-and I plan on doing so until Kayler wakes up or until Hallie and Gav get home.

-Gavin has a birthday party this evening, and G.J. has church stuff. My dinner is being brought in from my dinner group that I LOVE, and Steph is a great cook….

-My mom did a cake for me, so we are going to squeeze that in and visit with my 3 grandparents.

-Then the celebration continues as I go to the movie with Karlee-the late show after our kids are asleep hopefully.

-As if that wasn’t enough, I am going to lunch with Heather tomorrow, dinner on Friday night for a REAL date with G.J., and Erin and I are headed out on the town Saturday.

-Oh yeah…I mustn’t forget that I got some packages in the mail-gifts, cards, etc. along with lots of well wishes from email, text, and Facebook.

So….I need to just say how truly and completely blessed and lucky I am that I have so many people who care enough about me to do nice things. Even better, I am so grateful that I can actually truly appreciate it, and soak it all in with the best attitude possible. I have even enjoyed the songs on the radio today-they must know it is my birthday because they have sure played lots of my favorites. I am loving the sunshine, despite the wind. All in all, I am just glad that I got to be born at this beautiful spring-time of year, to my loving parents, in a beautiful town, state, country, that I married such a wonderful person, that I am called “mom” by 3 of the most precious beings to ever be, that I have the true gospel blessing my home, and that I have such great friends. I am one lucky birthday girl….Thank you, thank you, thank you- to everyone!

13 comments:

Whit said...

Glad it's been a good day for you! Let's get together next week like we talked about.

Josh and Kristen said...

So glad you are having a happy day! Hope the rest has been as great as the first.

TOYA said...

Happy Birthday!!! I give you permission to be a diva for the day!!! hehehe Congrats about your new calling!!

TOYA said...

Happy Birthday!!! I give you permission to be a diva for the day!!! hehehe Congrats about your new calling!!

Stephanie said...

Did you think I was going to stiff you dinner on your birthday? Sorry I was so late! And I forgot to bring you the cute B-Day gift I got for you! Now it's going to be late, but you know how it goes...better than never... Hope you had a wonderful day, and I hope dinner was OK. Jon didn't want soup so I made us something totally different...I didn't even taste it! We did have the rolls though, and I loved them!!! Happy birthday my dear, I thought about you a lot today...hope you had a fabulous one!

Kassi Luck said...

I am so glad that you had a great few days to celebrate your birthday. You do deserve it and I am glad that you have come to realize that. Hope you have a good rest of the week. Take care and really we need to get together soon.

Brett and Diane said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a great birthday and are going to keep it going for a few days. Enjoy!

Heidi J said...

wow, a bubble bath in the middle of the day!!??? You are one spoiled birthday girl :) Glad it was good for you, you deserve it

Karlee said...

So glad that we got to squeeze a little time in at the end of the day to finish off that wonderful sounding day! That was a nice out! Glad you had a birthday so we could go! ;) We'll also have to use it as another excuse for another night out for dinner! Glad you had a fun day! Those cupcakes looks yummy!

melissa said...

I'm glad you had such a great day! You really did deserve it! :) We should all get together and have a girls night for mine, yours, and Kassi's bdays.

Kael and Katy said...

Happy Birthday (yesterday) sorry I'm a day late :) How are you? I haven't seen you for so long!! I hope you had a great day!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I love that you were bathing at 11:11. So funny.
So glad you have learned to love you and to celebrate you. You totally deserve it. I miss Holly's cupcakes. yummy.

Ramanda said...

I didn't get a chance to wish you Happy Birthday on FB so I thought I would do it here....HaPpY BiRtHdAy! You are so lovely and inspirational! I learn so much from you! Glad you had a wonderful day!