Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wowzerz....Be Prepared.

Last time I checked my private blog “invite” list, I had around 87 readers. I am guessing that only around 20 of those invited actually read my blog, and only half of that actually take the time to leave comments (which I appreciate very much by the way!)

Anyways, that being said, I am hoping that this post will be skimmed over by the vast majority of readers….as it is a pity party post, and even though as I type I already feel guilty for the things I am thinking/typing….it has to be done.

You see, my blog is my very own personal journal. It is also my psychologist….unpaid of course, but very much needed and appreciated. The fact that some of you out there in blogger world care to read my ramblings is just a bonus, but consider yourself warned…I am in the worst mood I have been in for a very long time, and this isn’t going to be pretty. Oh yeah, and it is super super long. Even for a long winded, fast typing person like me.

First off, let me give you a photo recap of our Salt Lake trip from 3/10-3/13:



I tried a new collage format, I don't know if I am a fan yet, but it was sure quicker! You will just have to guess where and what each picture is.

Wednesday we headed out later than expected because the darn hospital had “mistakenly” ordered the medication for Gavin’s injection for the next day….Gee thanks hospital….The kids could have missed one less day of school, G.J. one less day of work, and one less night to pay for at the hotel. Whatever.

We got there, did a little shopping, got settled in our hotel, went and saw my brother and sister in law and their cute new puppy, headed to Orem and met up with my friend Nikki and her hubby and 2 adorable girls at Pirate Island Pizza. Then we did a little more shopping, headed back to hotel, and slept very well.

Thursday began bright and early. Luckily our hotel had a really yummy breakfast each morning, and the kids were being very well behaved. Let me put this disclaimer in….. “the kids were being very well behaved.” At the time…I considered it a blessing, and now I know that something was “up.”

Gavin was injected with some radioactive nuclear junk…they left the IV in his arm, and sent us on our way for 4 hours until his next appt. I made sure to make the trip worthwhile, and scheduled G.J. an appt. at an ENT nearby the hospital he had been needing to see forever. So the kids sat in the waiting room with me….still being very well behaved.

We returned to the hospital where Gavin had his octreoscan. It took a very long time, but that hospital is so dang awesome. They let our whole family in the room with him, turned on cartoons, joked with us, were very kind…..I was very glad of that.

After that the kids were SO excited to finally get to use the pool at our hotel. This pool was not just any pool, it was an indoor waterpark, kind of like a mini version of our Rec. Center here in Vernal. It was at the Holiday Inn Express by the E Center. We had a great time swimming and just relaxing.

After getting bathed and put back together, we went out to dinner…I know shocking. The kids were being so good; I decided we would go to a real restaurant while being out of town. Usually we just do drive through, because the kids (or should I say Kayler) gets super upset just by being out of his usual routine that restaurants are the last place we want to go.

Yet again, the kids did great. So great in fact that we went to the Hollywood Connection indoor amusement park thing that was close by after dinner. It was fun…not busy at all, and the kids did great and had a lot of fun.

Friday G.J. had to go to work up in Ogden….remember we tried to make this trip worthwhile?! I didn’t think I could have handled all my kids at Primary Children’s all by myself so I dropped off Hallie and Kayler to my brother Kris. Gavin had the same long round of testing, and we were out of there in 2 hours.

The kids were dying to go to the aquarium. We went and let them see all the super cool fish….it really was neat, but it cost me $39 bucks to go there. This trip was getting awfully expensive very fast. It was then that I realized that Hallie and Kayler were NOT feeling well, and they were rapidly getting worse. It only took from the time I dropped Kris off at his house to getting to the hotel to meet back up with G.J. that afternoon to realize that they were really sick. They automatically fell asleep as soon as they hit the hotel beds, something so uncharacteristic of both of them. I am a mean mom, and made G.J. stay there while I finished some shopping.

We had been invited to dinner at G.J.’s brother’s house….and I thought about cancelling, but we still went because after their naps, I thought they were doing a little better. Sure enough, as soon as we walk in, Hallie and Kayler were so sick they couldn’t leave the couch. We had a great dinner, but I feel so bad for ruining all the fun with my sick kids.

G.J.’s sister is an office manager at a local Dr.’s Office. She was so kind to offer to take our kids in to check their temperatures, and give them a quick strep test. They both had fevers of 102-103 give or take, and Kayler started puking. She decided to just torture Hallie with the strep test, and sure enough, it was positive.

So even though that was helpful, she isn’t a Dr., and can’t give us the meds, so we had to search our insurance for an instacare facility close by….let me add that at this point it is 9 p.m. We finally found one in GHETTO-VILLE West Valley-seriously, it was scary. I was so relieved when a very nice, clean, friendly woman Dr. came in. She was so sweet to my kids, commenting on how cute they were, and being very sympathetic to the situation. She tested Hallie and Kayler for strep, both +. She asked to test Gavin, just in case…..even though he had ZERO symptoms, he came back + as well. So I ended up having to pay 3 co pays for an Emergency service…due to their policy no meds can be prescribed for just anyone. So getting help for G.J. and I was not an option at that point. Makes sense….but huge pain for us.

So….thank goodness for 24 hour Walgreens, because we left getting their antibiotics at like 11:30 p.m.or so….and it was 1 a.m. before I crashed. The morning came all too quickly, and we were off to Disney On Ice. This was after packing up 3 days of laundry and supplies our family had used since being there….boy that is a lot of work! We ended up getting one night free, because our peephole on our door kept falling out….it left a gaping hole in the door, and I just kindly mentioned it to the lady checking us out. She offered the free night…and I am all about saving money, especially since the night before I had shelled out hundreds for stupid strep.

Of course, my luck would not be complete without waking up to more bad news. G.J. woke up sicker than a dog….and we knew it was the same thing the kids had. Thank goodness I stayed well-physically at least! At this point I was not a happy camper mentally. We had to pack up and meet my family at Disney on Ice. It was really cute…but let me share a picture that broke my heart:



While all the other kids oohed and ahhed…My poor little guy had to plug his ears the whole time. It was just TOO much for him. I just wanted to cry the whole time watching him.

We left for home during a huge snow storm….the roads were seriously so bad. Poor G.J. tried to help, but he was getting sicker and sicker. It was then that I realized that we wouldn’t be making it home in time to get G.J. some meds. I decided to do something desperate, and call a guy in our ward who is the PA at Urgent Care in Vernal. He was SO nice, and called in antibiotics for both G.J. and I.

So after unloading all that crap from being gone and trying to get our house back in order, get kids cleaned up….all 5 of us our antibiotics….here I sit, feeling incredibly frustrated, annoyed, angry, and quite frankly very pissed off at the world.

So, I decided to make a list of all the things that are really really bothering me right now:

1. I HATE Cancer. Last week I said goodbye to Raema….my cousin, the mother of my cousin Heather, who just happens to be one of my closest friends. We got the phone call that she has passed away very early Friday morning. The only comfort was that my mom got to be there with her when she died. They were best friends. I feel very bad for Heather….the rest of her family….my mom….it just sucks.

2. I hate sickness of any kind. Being at Primary Children’s, you just have to be there 5 minutes and glance around at unthinkable sickness and sadness. You can’t help to feel grateful for your own trial. Which I still am, but I am pissed off that we had to be there in the first place. Why can’t my kids be perfect and healthy? Why does Gavin have this illness? Why did they have to get so sick on our “vacation” of sorts? Don’t I deserve a break? Why? Why? Why?-it is not fair, and I am SO done with sickness, medical bills….. I get teary even thinking of what we have gone through-even though it is not nearly as bad as some…it is bad to me, and it is hard-harder than I ever let anyone know.

3. I am mad about money-and the lack thereof.

4. I am mad that I had such terrible pregnancies, that I had colicky babies (minus Kayler), and that I didn’t take the time to enjoy the situation more, even if it was hard at the time. Now I feel very empty. I feel a longing for that time to come again. I will never have another baby-it is final-and it hurts. I have 3 precious children…..but somehow my ungrateful heart is not recognizing that, and here I sit feeling empty.

5. I hate Autism…..HATE IT. I hate that my little boy has to suffer.

6. I hate that I missed Women’s Conference today…I could have used a big spiritual pick me up. I have been lacking. Probably due to the fact that I am very busy hating things. Maybe that’s it. I want to feel the spirit more fully and deeply. Maybe I should get rid of these angry feelings….I am trying.

7. I hate that my marriage isn’t better. Don’t get me wrong-we are doing just fine. It has been almost 10 years (in May) Unfortunately, these past 2…since Kayler was diagnosed have been the worst. I am still very in love….but we have both aged SO much in the past 2 years. We both have an unspoken worry about so many things….and I hate that too.

8. I hate cold weather. Maybe if this place would warm up, so would my mood.

9. I hate feeling self conscious. I am not an idiot-it doesn’t take a genius to realize that I am not the most pretty, skinny, put together, healthy eating, exercising, happy go lucky person. I just don’t want to be bothered with being bothered about not being good enough….does that make sense?

10. I get lonely-sounds absurd doesn’t it? I just am not that close with my Mom at all. I have no sisters. My relationships with my Sisters-in-law are good….just not like having a real sister. I have LOTS of great friends-which I am eternally grateful for….but not necessarily a best friend that knows my every struggle, trial, and fear. So even amidst my crazy life with church, work, kids, their school, their friends, my wonderful husband-I am still lonely, and I am mad at myself for feeling that way.

11. I hate not being the someone that people make me out to be. On one hand, I have the people who think I have it all…They probably think that all the above things don’t worry me in the slightest, and that just because my house is clean, my kids well groomed, and I am organized- I am happy as a lark….SO not true.

I also hate being “THAT” type of person-you know, the one who has all the bad things happen to her. Yep, that is me. I had a painful realization the other day. I had so many people tell me what bad luck I had been having lately. It kind of started with the penny swallowing incident in December. The flooding in January. The tumor diagnosis at the same time. The hysterectomy of February…..and a snowball of events interspersed throughout. I am “THAT” girl that some people who know me well are glad they are not. I have the type of things happen to me that are often unthinkable to others…because things like that don’t happen to them….only to people like me. I don’t want to be that girl anymore. I am not bearing my trials well….and I am ashamed. I have a lesson to learn, but I am a slow learner apparently.

Oh my goodness…do I feel better! O.K. that is a lie too, but I am glad I have typed this all out. I know that with all my heart that I will look back on this difficult time in my life and laugh….or have better and different emotions than I am having right now. Who knows-I might wake up in the morning....yes is it super late at night, or is it morning already? I might have second thoughts and come back and delete this post all together....who knows with me lately!

So at the beginning of this post I gave numbers of how many people would actually read this whole post in it’s entirety. I think I will guess apprx. 95% gave up after the first few paragraphs….So that is fine-like I said, my blog, my worries, my very own psychologist.

p.s. We won’t get any results from Gavin’s tests until later in the week….but it is not looking promising so far for any encouraging or noteworthy findings.

20 comments:

Emily said...

Hey girlie...I did read the whole thing! Wow... You are an amazing person and it's okay to feel overwhelmed. Hang in there! I am coming with ice cream soon!!

Emily said...

And yes, I know it's waaaay past my bedtime!

TOYA said...

Keep your chin up chica. You're amazing don't beat yourself up. We definetly need to go out to dinner while i'm home. it's a date!!!

Candace and Brian said...

SO I'm not going to try to say anything profound because at this point I think you won't listen . :) All I am going to say is turn to the Savior. HE is the ONLY one who does know you, understands your pain, and can bring you the comofort you are seeking for. Only through him will you be able to feel peace. He won't "give" you anything except the peace and courage to get through everything you are dealing with.
I was actually going to call you this morning just to vent a bit but realized I better not. Then I got on your blog. Ha! Sounds like you could have used some venting too. Thank goodness for blogs. So sad you are all sick. Strep is going around bad right now. My family all has it too. My Mom put in a desperate call to a PA in our ward (haha) yesterday too. What a good man!
Hopefully I see you at church. Probably not if you're all sick. Today is crazy with my parent's farewell but I think I'll be seeing you Monday for sure.
Hang in there. I love you!

Janice {Run Far} said...

(((hugs)))

XOXOXOXOXOXOX

I love you! My heart is hurtingso badly right now. I wish I could be there to kidnap you for a pedi and some lunch, maybe a little skinny dippin. You are such an amazing women. I miss your guts. Thanks for skyping with me the other day. I hate knowing you are so sad/mad/hurting/pissed
I was seriously crying through this whole post. You are so amazing. I just don't really know what to say other then I love you!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Life is hard, sometimes is just plain sucks!! Hang in there!;)

Josh and Kristen said...

I am sorry that your weekend ended with so much aggravation and frustration. Not that it makes you feel any better, just know that you are not alone, and that I will be praying for you.

Jesenia said...

Kandice, I always read your posts, all of them. I sometimes don't understand things that happen but I guess sometimes it is not even worth trying to figure it out. You are so beautiful inside and out. Don't forget that. I am so sad about Raema, my heart hurts for Heather. I am going to try to make it out to the funeral. Hopefully I can see you. Take care my dear!!

galleygrapevine said...

Kandice, after I got your post on my blog I came over and read yours. Sounds like we are facing some of the same struggles. It is SO hard admitting that we are not perfect but it is the first step in realizing that we don't have to be. Take each day at a time and try to find the good in all you do. We can't change who we are but we can change how we feel about it. If you ever need to talk, you know how to get a hold of me. *Smiles*

The McClellan Clan said...

Girl, All I'm gonna say is I LOVE YOU!!! I hope you know too, that you can call me cause you know I feel the same way about a lot of things like you... and.... no super best friend here either!! The joys of growing up with mostly boy-friends. Hang in there sista!

Danielle Hacking said...

Kandice, I agree with all of the comments made, you are amazing, and all of these things will make you a stronger and even more amazing person... but that still doesn't make it easy today... I will keep you and your family in my prayers, Love Dani

Brian, Nikki, and Nevie said...

Hey sweetie...I don't really know what to say to make you feel better. And sometimes it's okay to NOT feel better for awhile. You've been through a ton, and I say it's your right to be pissed for awhile. I know I would be.
I love you so much and I'm so glad I got to see you the other night. I was sad we couldn't talk more, but kids and husbands just get in the way. (;
I'm praying for you and your family. Let me know if there's anything I can do. You should come out here by yourself for a little relaxation when you can. Love ya!

Stephanie said...

Hey, just polished off a bowl of fudge brownie ice cream and took a lortab for the headache. I have no idea how you feel, never been through something so hard! But I can tell you, there are worse things than not having sisters or being close to your mom. You could be close to your mom until your sister comes along and they become besties...leaving you in Vernal to eat more ice cream. I adore you, and I look to you as an example. I want to be organized, I want to have as many comments on my blog as you do, I want to be able to handle my kids plus deal with special needs. I want to be able to stay home and take care of my home and my kids. I want to be as skinny and pretty and sing as well as you do. You have a lot to be positive about...but it does help to vent doesn't it? I love you Kandice. I'm going to miss your pretty singing voice at church...

Stephanie said...

oh, and thank you so much for being so thoughtful on my birthday. I can't believe after such stress you still thought of me today. You truly are amazing!

Nathan and Shanna said...

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry and want you to know that reading your blog is like therapy for me as well. I really appreciate your honesty and want you to know that even though it seems like your the only one remember that your not! We all have trials, and there is nobody really who understands us better then our Savior. He loves us unconditionally and will NEVER give us more trials then we can handle. Hang in there and now that we are praying for you daily! Take care and Thanks again for sharing!

Karlee said...

Other than the hard parts.... it sounds like you guys were able to lots of fun things in Salt Lake! It was fun reading about the trip after I had already talked to you about it. That pool sounds super fun! I did read all of your post and I REALLY hope you're having a better day! It's nice to get stuff off your chest and it's unfortunate some of the things that have come your way lately! Taking care of a sick family is enough to do ya in! It's exhausting! You've got to try to keep your head up and look for the good in all things! There are WAY too many things in this "world" that can get ya down in the dumps...those are the things you have to just blow off! Things you have no conrtol over. Money is a big one! Just do what you can and that's all you can do! Have you ever read the book "Believing Christ?" Holy Cow, it's a good one and one you should read if you haven't! It talks a lot about doing all you can and letting Christ pick up the rest! I'll go see if I can find it in one of my boxes and run it over! I need to re-read that one too! I'll call you in a while!

Kassi Luck said...

Wow! I sit here with tear filled eyes. I have read your whole post and have read the comments already left on here. Life is REALLY hard sometimes and I am not going to act like I have it as hard as you or less hard or worse. I know we all have out own trials and to some it may not seem that hard but I want you to know that I have a lot of worries that weigh on my mind everyday and That they are very discouraging and I can only imagine going through everything that you have gone through this past few months and how I would feel and I think that I would be feeling the exact same way!! I think it is good for you to write/type all of your feelings because if you are anything like me then it helps ALOT. When I begin to feel the way that you are right now, I try to remind myself that it could always be worse, ALWAYS. I know you are very overwhelmed and I know that things will get better. I keep telling myself that everyday and I am still waiting for somethings in our lives to get better and I dont see that happening yet, but I guess I just have to keep having faith that everything in life is going to workout. I hope things start working out and become a little easier for you and your family.
I will give you a call soon and we will have to get together for games and dinner. Please feel free to call if you ever need someone to talk to, maybe we could vent to eachother. Know that all of us that read your blog and comment, We all love you and your family.

Brett and Diane said...

I don't have any "special or super helpful" comments but I'm very sorry things are not going well. I admire how brave you are to actually post actual life.

Chelsie Jensen said...

I think the bad mood is in the air. You summed up what u have been feeling too. I do hope things start to get better for you. Hang in there!

Cassie said...

I don't always read your blog I have to admit....I am just getting back into blogging. But I just read this whole post and I am so sorry that you have had so many trials lately. I am sorry your little boy has autism, and you had a hysterectomy,man and everything else too! Anyway,I need to check your blog more often. Life is really hard sometimes. And only you knows how it feels to be you...pray,pray and pray some more. That is the only thing I can think of to say that would help. It is in our darkest hour and the midst of all our struggles that it is hardest to pray and ask for help. Believe I have had to force myself to do it. Your a great mom and person...I haven't ever meet you but I know that for sure!
With love, Cassie