Friday, December 2, 2011

Thanksgiving



We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. This year we decided to drive to St. George to be with G.J.'s family. Originally most of his siblings were going to join us...but they all flaked out last minute, so we were there alone! I will try to give a travel log...with the pictures to occupy...but you see after a day or two my memory fades. Luckily there are lots of pictures!

We left Wednesday (day before Thanksgiving) We took my Grandpa Bowthorpe with us to SLC so he could see my brother's new baby. He then rode home with my mom. Baby Kenny was adorable....and it is amazing how when my brother's have had their kids...how instantly I fall in love as if they are my own.







We went shopping for a bit, grabbed a Mall food court dinner....and then did some swimming at our hotel-( we stayed at the Marriott in Provo-Priceline...got a steal of a deal!).

We woke up Thursday and grabbed a healthy breakfast of fresh Krispy Kremes....and we were on our way to sunny St. George. We arrived in record time, thanks to my fast driving skills :) We had a nice meal, then had fun at the movie later that evening.

That night G.J. and I got brave and decided to go to the black Friday sales. We put the kids to bed and off we went. It was fun being with G.J., but that is where the fun ended! There were a few stores that opened at 4 p.m., some at 8, some at 10, and some at 12. I refuse in every single way to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to join the crazies and go on Black Friday morning. So....to put it in a nutshell, my first and last Black Friday (or Thursday) was a complete failure. We got to Wal-Mart....and after I saw the un heard of amounts of people in lines...people fighting over $3 Tupperware.....amongst other things, I decided it was NOT for me. We left with a corn dog and chocolate milk and were in bed before 11! I did however take advantage of Cyber Monday....from the comforts of my own car on G.J.'s laptop as we drove back to SLC...That is much more my style! Get things that are actually on your list to buy, no lines, no crowds, and still a great deal!

Friday we did go shopping to quite a few places once the madness of the early morning shoppers had ended. We also took the kids to their favorite park, and just enjoyed the beautiful weather. We took them that evening to a new place in St. George called Anti-Gravity. The few pictures we took don't do it justice. It had TONS of trampolines...jumpy houses, etc. They had a ball....and G.J. and I did too! After that G.J.'s parents went home with the kids and G.J. and I did a session in the St. George temple. It was very nice!







 
Saturday we took the short journey to Las Vegas to visit our nephew Drew who is in fashion school there. We decided to take the plunge and stay the night. Las Vegas is a whole different world...so we wanted to show our kids at least once! We once again lucked out on priceline and got the newest 5 star hotel on the strip for a SUPER cheap price. The kids were in heaven. We started off by going to the aquarium at Mandalay Bay. We then headed to the M & M factory. Then up to the Fashion Show Mall to visit our nephew Drew at his job. Then we went to Caesar's Palace to see all the cool Greek/Roman things. The Mirage's volcano was next-super cool. The Bellagio fountains were last-Super duper cool....Then we were back to our fancy hotel room and in bed around 10.




















We woke up Sunday and headed back to St. George by early afternoon. We just relaxed the rest of the day. I even ate my dinner outside. For some reason my in law's like to keep a very warm house (like 80 +) degrees....and I was DYING. I slept with the window open and went outside every chance I had!!!

We sadly left Monday morning...it was a LONG drive back to SLC. We for the 3rd time scored us a priceline hotel. The downtown Hilton in SLC (gag-never staying there again). We ate dinner with my parents and Kris and his family at Benihana, then went and saw the lights at temple square. I told G.J. that we had seen the lights of Las Vegas...which are magical in their own way. We saw the lights of St. George...with many beautiful sunsets and sunny days. But nothing compares in any way to the lights surrounding the temple. The kids went swimming that night.....and we all went to bed exhausted...just as we had every night our whole trip!









Tuesday I had to wake up early to get Kayler to his Dr.'s appt with our beloved Dr. Carbone....he is seriously awesome. We did a tinsy bit of shopping (because at this point our car was beyond overloaded and didn't have room for much more!) We had lunch...went to Costco with my parents...and were on our way home! My dad came home with us since my mom was staying to help Kris and Jenette with baby Kenny. We stopped in Park City for Hallie's appt. with her ENT Dr. Tagge---whom we LOVE. Then we made a non stop trip to Vernal....arriving at 6 p.m. exhausted, ornery, yet so glad to be home! I finished recovering from the trip Wednesday while doing nearly 12 hours straight of laundry, putting things away, and getting things back in order from being gone 7 days.

So....I learned a couple things from this trip:

#1-I hate traveling. I am a huge wimp. I love going out of town and all that...but seriously it is SO much work. My body just aches the whole time in the car. I get car sick...so I always have to drive, which is exhausting in itself. I hate living out of a suitcase...hate the mess when I get home...but at the end of the day, it is so nice to get out of town, so I guess that is the sacrifices I make to do that.

#2-I really missed my Thanksgiving in Vernal-along with all the other festivities that come in Vernal around this time. I missed the meal that my family does...missed Holly Days...the cold weather (It just didn't seem like Thanksgiving when it was almost 70 degrees outside) I missed all of it.

#3-I already stated this before...but I will never Black Friday shop again. Lamest thing ever. Buying things that aren't actually on your list just because they are on “sale”. Lame, Lame, Lame. Perfect for some people...and I am not judging, but NOT perfect for me!

#4- Las Vegas isn't as naughty/nasty as it used to be. I didn't see much that embarrassed me in front of my kids. They were so in awe at the sight of all the lights and such that it was just fun for them.

#5-I am awfully tricky! I was able to complete my Christmas shopping....even when my kids were in the store. I sent G.J. the other direction with the kids, filled my cart, put stuff over it, then sent him to the car while I checked out. Genius I tell you!

#6-I hate traveling in a car...wait, didn't I already mention that??

So, there you have it!!! This is probably the last vacation our family will have in a very long time. We are trying so hard to save money for our house...and having a family of 5 on the road for 7 days is not cheap!

2 comments:

Karlee said...

Before I read your number one I was going to say don't you wish you could have weekends like that all the time minus the laudry and driving! :) This might help you get a small glimpse into why I always feel so crazy all of the time!!! That is my life every other week. :( Looks and sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving break! You fit a ton in during those few days!

Candace and Brian said...

Sometimes I laugh at how much you and I are alike. I too hate traveling. For me, there is no place like home. I personally like Vegas. I think there is a lot of neat things there to offer. There are definitely places/people to avoid but it is a must do. Oh and I have never black Friday shopped and honestly don't even have the tiniest desire to...even to save money. It looks like you had a wonderful trip. You did A LOT! I'm glad. You made excellent memories. Kris's little boy is sure a cutie too. How fun for you to know love on everyone else's kids.