A couple weeks ago...I went to an
enrichment night all about simplifying Christmas. After
watching last nights First Presidency Christmas Devotional...I
realized that simplifying is a common theme this Christmas season.
For an over the top person like
me....doing things the simple way usually is pretty hard to do. This
year however...it has been the easiest and best choice I have made.
It is December 5th, and my
shopping is done...completely done. I didn't spend hours searching or
wondering...I kept it simple, and I think that my kids and the other
people we give gifts to will be happy come Christmas day.
When I thought about decorating for
Christmas this year...I sort of had a feeling of dread. It is SO much
work...it makes my house feel messy...and then you just have to rip
it all down. So with the theme of simplifying, we went simple with
our decorations, and I LOVE IT! Here are some pictures of our most
important and only decorations:
This is our Mantle. I have always wanted a lighted garland on a mantle...and now I have it. I took this picture during the Christmas Devotional last night if you couldn't tell :)
This is our Christmas tree. Our REAL Christmas tree. The last time we had a real tree was 11 years ago when Hallie was a tiny baby. I never wanted one again because of the hastle, mess, and because they don't look "perfect". Well guess what...this was no hastle (picked it up from Allred's Yard and Garden in Roosevelt), so far it has not been messy at all. It is also perfect...the perfect size, shape, and decorated perfectly by my kids with random ornaments they chose. I didn't even move one ornament. I love it.
These are my 2 nativity Scenes. The colorful one is a treasured/priceless posession because it was my Grandma Bowthorpes. The one on the right is really tiny-and G.J.'s parents brought it to us from Alaska.
And finally....let't not forget our stockings!
We have plenty of christmas parties to
keep us busy the next couple weeks...but nothing to stressful, so
that makes me glad. I have a few things planned for the 12 days
before Christmas:
Click on the link below to see what we will be doing.....
12 days...the right way
I love this picture-so serene and beautiful....I just love it. It is the true reason for this wonderful season.
So....I can already tell a huge difference in my attitude. I have always loved Christmastime...but let's be honest, it is a very stressful time of year. So I feel I have done all I can to remove unwanted/unwelcome stress, and I am just so excited to enjoy it!


4 comments:
Thanks Kan, this was so nice. Simplify is something I could do in all areas of my life!
YAY!!!! I'm so glad you simplified. I haven't really started my shopping yet. Yikes. Being so far from home makes christmas so much less stressfull. No parties, no figuring which familes get your times.... and I swear less shopping.
Miss ya
Oh man we are having those same thoughts/ideas this year. It has changed the whole feeling of Christmas this year and I'm LOVING it. I even delivered all my neighbor treats tonight so we are officially over and can now relax and relsih in the true meaning. I want to come see/smell your real tee. we've never had one. It looks beautiful-your whole house does. Miss you!
I love it. Good for you! I know how hard it is to let the kids decorate and not move something because it's not right, or get a tree that isn't perfect but fun to have. You have inspired me to be simpler! :)
Post a Comment